LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:42 am
boson wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:36 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:06 am I managed to scrape by with 23rd place out of 26th in my rundle. I lost the final day, but the person just below me did too. I lost 6(5)-8(5) with my opponent getting Leaves (3 points), but missing Slim (1 point). He didn't have a great pop music score, but I figured at least a couple of the people mentioned in the clue would have been familiar. Pretty surprised only 41% got that one. I finished with 127 CAA. Can anyone top that?
edit: I just looked at the csv file that has stats for the entire league and I led the league in both CAA and TPA!
According to this post https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11098 you were the 11th least lucky llama in this past season.

I can't beat it, but I can sympathize- I was the 82nd least lucky.

Better luck next season!
I wasn't that bad, but I did make top 5% of unluckiest. One of my better TCA seasons and DE, yet still almost got relegated.
I was just short of 10,000th.

On the plus side, my Integrity Number is 4. :)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:42 am
boson wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:36 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:06 am I managed to scrape by with 23rd place out of 26th in my rundle. I lost the final day, but the person just below me did too. I lost 6(5)-8(5) with my opponent getting Leaves (3 points), but missing Slim (1 point). He didn't have a great pop music score, but I figured at least a couple of the people mentioned in the clue would have been familiar. Pretty surprised only 41% got that one. I finished with 127 CAA. Can anyone top that?
edit: I just looked at the csv file that has stats for the entire league and I led the league in both CAA and TPA!
According to this post https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11098 you were the 11th least lucky llama in this past season.

I can't beat it, but I can sympathize- I was the 82nd least lucky.

Better luck next season!
I wasn't that bad, but I did make top 5% of unluckiest. One of my better TCA seasons and DE, yet still almost got relegated.
This D rundle freshman was 313th least lucky, about 98th percentile. I suspected as much early on when I lost the first 7 and noticed that 5 of the games were against top 8 players. Interesting how his algorithm was able to "normalize" results across the spectrum. I knew I was bad, but didn't expect last place so it's off to the E-room. If I would have had the New England Patriots schedule, I think I could stay in D as a journeyman for perpetuity.

Anyway, congrats Kirk, those are awesome stats! I thought the questions this season were pretty sporadic, but also know I left way too many on the table from inattention. Still kicking myself for going with Hope/Crosby because I though Martin/Lewis made it into the 60's.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:36 am On the plus side, my Integrity Number is 4. :)
How do you find that? And for that matter, what is it?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:22 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:36 am On the plus side, my Integrity Number is 4. :)
It's like the Bacon number. It's basically how far you are from one of the original members. You just click on the flag until you get back to a Charter Member or Commissioner Invite. For me, my chain is BarnesMRafferty --HerderS -- GoodeM -- PenroseB (Commissioner Invite).
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:09 pm
It's like the Bacon number. It's basically how far you are from one of the original members. You just click on the flag until you get back to a Charter Member or Commissioner Invite. For me, my chain is BarnesMRafferty --HerderS -- GoodeM -- PenroseB (Commissioner Invite).
Hmm... What happens when you hit the roadblock of an inactive player? (Alietr is my Grandllama, and it seems that this line has a large number of current and former JBoard! participants for some reason, but ends at RodriguezD).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My lineage hits a dead end too, but what I found interesting is that from me up to (and not including) the last person before the dead end, every single person in my lineage has their own branch. Me -> VeredJ -> PerryS -> WhitlockS -> MuellerP -> GruenspechtJ. Then it's Chessin (who goes back to LL19); his referrer is inactive, and he also belongs to a branch named for an inactive player.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cmp146 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:04 pm Hmm... What happens when you hit the roadblock of an inactive player? (Alietr is my Grandllama, and it seems that this line has a large number of current and former JBoard! participants for some reason, but ends at RodriguezD).
At the moment, I don't know of any way past that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Numberwang, obviously.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:12 pm
cmp146 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:04 pm Hmm... What happens when you hit the roadblock of an inactive player? (Alietr is my Grandllama, and it seems that this line has a large number of current and former JBoard! participants for some reason, but ends at RodriguezD).
At the moment, I don't know of any way past that.
My GrandLlama (CabreraJ) is inactive, so I'll never know my Integrity number. :(
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

How is the current ML and recent 1Ds going for the rest of you? I'm 0 for 2 on the ML thus far.

It wouldn't have gotten me a win yesterday (I find using the Golden Arches theory in a theme of pop culture just because it involves McDonald's to be pushing it, but I digress), and as a big fan of comics and movies based on them, I was disappointed to miss the first question. As soon as I saw Iran, I thought of Persepolis and ran with it. You'd think I would have learned to read the whole question by now.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I tied 9(6)-9(6) on MD2. In my Group of Death, I'm one behind the leader for TMP, but am 0-1-1.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RJRouge wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:23 am How is the current ML and recent 1Ds going for the rest of you? I'm 0 for 2 on the ML thus far.

It wouldn't have gotten me a win yesterday (I find using the Golden Arches theory in a theme of pop culture just because it involves McDonald's to be pushing it, but I digress), and as a big fan of comics and movies based on them, I was disappointed to miss the first question. As soon as I saw Iran, I thought of Persepolis and ran with it. You'd think I would have learned to read the whole question by now.
+1 for Persepolis
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:22 pm
RJRouge wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:23 am How is the current ML and recent 1Ds going for the rest of you? I'm 0 for 2 on the ML thus far.

+1 for Persepolis
My first thought was 300 but then I got confused thinking that was Athens/Sparta not Persia/Sparta. Thought, what other greased up giants related to Iran....wasn't The Rock in Prince of Persia? Whoops...and just ping pong wasn't enough either.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:22 pm

+1 for Persepolis
I did the exact same thing for the 300 question, and I strongly suspect that my opponent that day -- who has a strong film score but managed to get that one wrong too -- made the same mistake. Learning to RTFQ really is underratedly hard.

I really like the theme of the minileague. Very much up my alley.
mujason

Post by mujason »

I see non-llamas can't see 1DS results anymore (or final LL standings). As someone who's too cheap to join (and too unpopular for an invite, anyway), this makes me sad.
-Jason
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

mujason wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:25 pm I see non-llamas can't see 1DS results anymore (or final LL standings). As someone who's too cheap to join (and too unpopular for an invite, anyway), this makes me sad.
It is a private club, not a public display of how we miss questions. You still can see the questions and answers, which is pretty generous.

If you want to try it out , I have a invitation to share for the first free season. Then you can decide how cheap you feel.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

One Day Special - Curses - coming this Saturday. Putting the final touches on my 12 question set. Please come and play!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 pm One Day Special - Curses - coming this Saturday. Putting the final touches on my 12 question set. Please come and play!
I should do amazingly well on this one...I know all the bad words :P
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 pm One Day Special - Curses - coming this Saturday. Putting the final touches on my 12 question set. Please come and play!
Mulvaney's on there; too bad Trump isn't. This is right up his alley!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Belated congrats to Trainman and MinnesotaMyron on their Top 15 finishes in the Chickens 1DS. I was a Tyson Foods away from joining y'all. :(