Friday, October 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN PLAYWRIGHTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1963 the Pulitzer Advisory Board vetoed his controversial play & gave no award; he would go on to win 3 Pulitzers

Geoff Duncan: 3400-3400=0
Susan White: 12800-4100=8700 (New Champ)
Lindsey Berns: 16200-9401=6799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Edward Albee (Geoff – Arthur Miller) (Susan – Tennessee Williams) (Lindsey – Williams)

Daily Doubles
Lindsey: 2800+2800
Susan: 10800+2000
Lindsey: 16000-3000

Coryats
Geoff: 3400
Susan: 12000
Lindsey: 17200

Combined: 32,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Geoff: minus 600
Susan: 3600
Lindsey: 10400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Once again Alex had to begin a round with some bookkeeping to handle first.

WELCOME TO THE MONKEY HOUSE $1000: Spider monkeys lack the grasping adaptation known by this 2-word term; it would get in the way as they hook fingers over branches

Geoff: What is a prehensile thumb?

Susan: What's an opposable thumb?

Even after the reversal Geoff was still in the red.

Alex and Lindsey had a couple of give & takes for quick rapport between the two and I was not surprised at the end when it looked like Alex was going to stay visiting at podium 3.

The FJ! clue was a lucky escape for me. After ruling out Susan's & Lindsey's wrong name I was blanking on someone more recent while constantly having to swat away Irish, British and long dead distractors along with also Neil Simon.

I wrote "Mame" to have someone and before I could write the "T" it hit me it was that other famous name. Oh no, a blank! I had to think, "That Woolf guy" and "Come on, Mark, stay calm, you know it, Zoo Story... A moment's breath and closed eyes did the trick and fortunately it was a quick write to be be right. [Whew!]

Susan's wager worked for her while so many others in position bet too much.

Lindsey could have won if she had the right river for DD3.

It's a long day waiting to play in the Friday game and "Jeopardy! Lindsey" (as she called herself after Alex did a "Jeopardy! James" reference at DD1) looked like she was ready to call it a day:
Spoiler
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Got the FJ because I had a weird flashback to the Mad magazine parody of the movie, and realized the play would seem controversial in that era. Now, of course, nobody would bat an eye.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

FJ: should have thought of that. That's pretty much Jeopardy's favorite play to ask about. Said Neil Simon for lack of any better ideas. Rough FJ week for me... 1/5.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

1960s + controversial lead me to wrong path of civil rights related play. No way out.

Lindsay played well. I thought it was odd too that she was ready to get off stage ASAP.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Lindsay just looked really upset, and can't blame her with the early dominance it looked like she had. She just couldn't keep it rolling on the buzzer and then got tentative on the DD too. Sad, because I feel like we are way past due for another female superchampion.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Wow, quite the stunning fall for Geoff after his great game last night. I don't know if he got overexcited about his victory to the point where he couldn't concentrate when he had to play the next game or if these categories just simply weren't his forte, but to go from having a runaway game to being locked out from catching even second place in your next game is quite a massive difference.

Lindsay played well and certainly looked like she was superchamp potential, though unfortunately FJ can certainly prove to be a real pain at times.

Congrats to Susan on the win, though I'd be surprised if she managed to defend successfully again on Monday with her modest $8700.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:45 am FJ: should have thought of that. That's pretty much Jeopardy's favorite play to ask about. Said Neil Simon for lack of any better ideas. Rough FJ week for me... 1/5.
Considering that "Paul Simon" was the correct response for a FJ clue earlier this week, it would've felt odd to have two FJ clues with that last name as the correct question in the same week.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Geoff really had a rough day. So many negs.

====

Best WAG of the day: fishy name = Trout. No idea how I pulled that one off.

Ran the Monkey category.

Could not for the life of me remember Ray Charles' name, costing me the run in Piano.

All but $1,000 in Breakfast (NHO that roll in $1,000) and "Ho"cus "Po"cus. The latter tripped me up since it was the only one where the "ho" sound was different than in the other 4. I find that different vowel sounds often thwart runs for me in word categories.

Ran the Villians category, even more surprisingly.

NHO in top box: 1963 church bombing in Birmingham.

I fizzled out at the end of DJ!, getting nothing in Southern Politician/Author or the three clues revealed in National Parks.

No guess on FJ! Correct response rings no bells for me whatsoever. What was the controversy? Google isn't helping any.

Lach Trash: Elton John, Snidely Whiplash, grandstand
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:04 am I wrote "Mame" to have someone and before I could write the "T" it hit me it was that other famous name.
To me, controversial playwright screams David Mamet, but I thought he might be too young (he would have been 16 in 1963). I even thought of Albee, but didn't think that he was controversial at all, so I stuck with Mamet (oops).
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:29 pm What was the controversy? Google isn't helping any.
From Wiki:
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? won both the 1963 Tony Award for Best Play and the 1962–63 New York Drama Critics' Circle Award for Best Play. Its stars won the 1963 Tony Awards for Best Actor and Actress as well. It was also selected for the 1963 Pulitzer Prize for Drama by that award's drama jury. However, the award's advisory board – the trustees of Columbia University – objected to the play's then-controversial use of profanity and sexual themes, and overruled the award's advisory committee, awarding no Pulitzer Prize for drama in 1963.

I had to look it up, too. I had no idea why it was controversial.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

When I think "controversial play", especially in the context of formal awards, I think of Waiting for Godot. But there are the slight issues of Beckett not being American and of the play being too early for the clues.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MasterCone wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:31 pm Lindsay just looked really upset, and can't blame her with the early dominance it looked like she had. She just couldn't keep it rolling on the buzzer and then got tentative on the DD too. Sad, because I feel like we are way past due for another female superchampion.
so you are saying the woman who won today's episode has zero chance of going deep?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:31 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:45 am FJ: should have thought of that. That's pretty much Jeopardy's favorite play to ask about. Said Neil Simon for lack of any better ideas. Rough FJ week for me... 1/5.
Considering that "Paul Simon" was the correct response for a FJ clue earlier this week, it would've felt odd to have two FJ clues with that last name as the correct question in the same week.
i can name 3 american playwrights...2 of them were wrong answers given by the contestants and the other being simon...i had the same feeling as you with 2 simon's being the answer to 2 final jeopardy clues this week, so i dismissed him and went with miller...never heard of the dude who was the correct response
Last edited by CasketRomance on Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:29 pm Geoff really had a rough day. So many negs.

====

Best WAG of the day: fishy name = Trout. No idea how I pulled that one off.

Ran the Monkey category.

Could not for the life of me remember Ray Charles' name, costing me the run in Piano.

All but $1,000 in Breakfast (NHO that roll in $1,000) and "Ho"cus "Po"cus. The latter tripped me up since it was the only one where the "ho" sound was different than in the other 4. I find that different vowel sounds often thwart runs for me in word categories.

Ran the Villians category, even more surprisingly.

NHO in top box: 1963 church bombing in Birmingham.

I fizzled out at the end of DJ!, getting nothing in Southern Politician/Author or the three clues revealed in National Parks.

No guess on FJ! Correct response rings no bells for me whatsoever. What was the controversy? Google isn't helping any.

Lach Trash: Elton John, Snidely Whiplash, grandstand
he says hit the road jack for not being able to come with his name...i said stevie wonder...don't know much about either wonder or charles and just flipped a coin and went with wonder as the blind paino player for this clue
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I got the same neg as Geoff for IBM/GE in the "Player Piano" clue - at least it was a triple stumper, and I'm not sure how I'd hear of that. I almost ran the Player Piano category, except I picked the OTHER blind pianist - Stevie - for the $200 clue. I also stood and stared at the $200 "decoy" clue in monkeys. That's two categories where I get rows 2-5 but blank on top row - more proof that dollar value is only a vague guide to difficulty, at least for me.

I predicted the prehensile/opposable correction might happen when it happened, even though I said opposable. But then I thought "prehensile" meant "grasping", and both monkeys and humans can grasp. According to wiki (not gospel), all primates hands are prehensile, but to varying degrees - maybe it's the degree of how prehensile a hand is that got Geoff his money back.

Jeopardy is now trolling me. Yesterday, "sage + biblical prophet = Solomon" was wrong. Today, "Solomon = wisdom" is right. Both had secondary clues that narrowed the response.

Williams, Simon, O'Neill, and Miller were all I could come up with on my short list for American playwrights. Went with Williams - right decade, more drama than comedy. Simon tended toward more light-hearted comedy, and probably wouldn't have been controversial. Miller and O'Neill felt a decade too early.

NHO Edward Albee. Weird, since I read "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" for college, and yes, I did well in the class. Then again, it was a coda in a class packed with the Odyssey, the Aeneid, the Inferno, Don Quixote, and Ulysses.

Great true DD in J! by Lindsey. She probably should have bet more on the last DD, but if you know you have a weakness, going low and taking the DD out is the way to go, and in the end she was right to not risk her lead.

I still don't know why contestants aren't DD-hunting more aggressively. Top-to-bottom might be okay in a category where you're weak, your opponents are strong, and the DDs are all gone in that round. But if you're in control, the first goal is to find a DD, preferably in the category where you're strong.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:44 pm
so you are saying the woman who won today's episode has zero chance of going deep?
That is not at all what I said, or think. Anyone has a chance. Just the early firepower from Lindsey had a different feel to it. No offense in the slightest to Susan, who clearly has the chops to have hung in there despite a big deficit, and to properly wager. I hope ANY female can make a big run again soon, no matter how it's done.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew Edward Albee had won several Pulitzers, and none for his most famous play, so this was an instaget for me, ending my stagnation of three straight weeks of 3/5 on FJ. (Next up, 5/5!)
talkingaway wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 pm Jeopardy is now trolling me. Yesterday, "sage + biblical prophet = Solomon" was wrong. Today, "Solomon = wisdom" is right. Both had secondary clues that narrowed the response.
Solomon may be considered a prophet, but I don't think J! has ever referred to him in that way. (There aren't any results if you search J! Archive for "Solomon proph," which would account for related words like "prophecy" or "prophetic.")