Monday, October 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Biggest slam dunk on FJ! this season for me since the "plains state + early 1900s book = Wizard of Oz" clue. Sodium = Na, "natrium". Five letters, two down. That leaves three letters and three elements, so they're all single letter elements - no argon (Ar), xenon (Xe), or krypton (Kr), although none of those are particularly edible AFAIK. The most important elements in biologic/organic chemistry are all single letters: CHNOPS. The "CHO" is literally right there if you take out the "N". And organic acids like citric acid (from which citrate is derived - just like "chloride" is derived from hydrochloric acid) have carbon, and have -OH groups that lose the H+ ion to create acid in solution.

I'll admit, being a chem major did help...but it's not like I had any clue what the chemical formula for sodium citrate was off the top of my head, other than it had sodium in it. (Sounds like a STUPID ANSWER clue...)

Had a surprising run of 12/15 before the first break. Of course, we're no longer Jeopardy James/Jason-ing the board as much, so I'm getting the low-hanging fruit first. That bayou category was a total bust for me, though - clamed on the top 4 rows, and for some reason thought that a "mink" was a rodent....and that they were bayou creatures. In my defense, they DO look like rodents (they're carnivorians), and do live in riverbanks/lakes/marshes. So, for a guess, it's not as off-base as, say, an underwater welder. (Not making fun of that - I got that one wrong too.)

I killed V-8 and Love Songs in DJ!, except for Ed Sherhan. My Coryat is way too category-dependent...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:10 pm
MasterCone wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:58 pm
Foretopman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:30 pm I assume "dulcet" is a no-go on Speak Softly for $600?
FWIW, I also said "dulcet"
I also had "dulcet"
A fourth for dulcet
And baby makes five! I'm taking points away from everyone because dulcet does not sync with the category, SPEAK SOFTLY. Hushed, muted, murmur and what were the other two? I also had "earth tones" for "muted" so I got dinged twice. And dulcet really means smooth or sweet, but who knows what TPTB woulda done!
The category is a TOM, not a rule (nothing is in quotes). If your answer fits the clue independent of the category, it gets accepted.

On that note, I think 'earth' still counts. That clue, for reference: "These 5-letter "tones" are subdued colors in clothing and decor"

For the other, full clue is "These 6-letter 'tones' are used when speaking softly & reverently" and I think there's a strong case

Not, that, you know, I have a dog in either hunt...

FJ: While I did get it, that was still pretty groan-worthy
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Well, that's more like it. Accepting "dulcet" means I ran the Speak Softly category.

Also means that even with 6 negs, 3 of which were in that infernal Louisiana category, I still have $23,000 Coryat.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:30 pm NHO either song on Love Songs for $400.
I guess you didn't follow up after missing this question on LL.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Would "earth tones" be accepted on the "muted tones" clue?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did it sound to anyone else like Erin said "verboden" rather than "verboten?" Is that really an accepted pronunciation?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 am Did it sound to anyone else like Erin said "verboden" rather than "verboten?" Is that really an accepted pronunciation?
Yes, I heard a clear "verboden", and then she corrected it fairly quickly to "verboten". I think the rule is if you're still in the middle of your answer before Alex calls you wrong and you correct yourself, you can save yourself? If you say "Who is Ted...er, I mean who is Franklin Roosevelt?", then you'll get the okay if the correct response is FDR. I think that's the general rule - correct me if I'm wrong.

I still thought there was a chance that they were going to swipe back the money after the break, since I'd never heard "verboden" before.

Google Translate has "verboden" as a Dutch word, and "verboten" as German. I don't know the direction of the etymological flow, but it seems plausible that the Dutch borrowed "verboten" from the Germans and then morphed it to "verboden", which would make it fit the clue, or would make it very, very close to fitting.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 am Did it sound to anyone else like Erin said "verboden" rather than "verboten?" Is that really an accepted pronunciation?
My CC showed both spellings. It seemed like they took the first one, but then she came back with the hard "t" immediately before the overrule, if one was coming.

Sodium citrate. 5 letters, so the other 3 are obvious organic and probably carbohydrate - C, H, and O.
Start pushing consonants and vowels - COHNA, HACON, CHOAN, gotta pick something.... Just in time I scrambled one more time to NACHO, which was nice with the rest of the TOM in the clue. I got this the hard way from the wordplay only.

I'm anxious to make up some Yttrium doped Sodium Cyanide. Bet it smells like almonds.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Did it sound to anyone else like Erin said "verboden" rather than "verboten?" Is that really an accepted pronunciation?
I thought it sounded like she might have said "verbodem".

Also, you reminded me about something else I wanted to ask on here.
Right after Johnny introduced Alex and the applause died down, it sounded like there was a single person clapping in the background, all through Alex's opening remarks. It even continued through a couple of clues. It was a steady pace, about 2 claps per second.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,200
48 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: fisherman, murmur, Air Supply, Carl Sandburg

This was a game of some weird DD issues. Even though I got to the intended response, I still have no idea how to parse DD1. "... & will give you the name of a hunter"? What? DD2 was, unless I'm missing something, a pure YEKIOYD. Then there was Susan's wager on DD3, which caused Herm Edwards to start spinning in his grave despite the fact that he is alive and well in Tempe.

FJ! was fun. It took me a few seconds longer than some of the other folks here, but I had well before the halfway point of the Think Music.
davey wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:33 pm My problem with it is that I took hunter as a TOM and guessed crocodiles...which I gather don't roam in Louisiana... :oops:
Fun fact: Florida is the only place in the world where alligators and crocodiles can be found together in the wild.
Category 13 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:26 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Did it sound to anyone else like Erin said "verboden" rather than "verboten?" Is that really an accepted pronunciation?
I thought it sounded like she might have said "verbodem".

Also, you reminded me about something else I wanted to ask on here.
Right after Johnny introduced Alex and the applause died down, it sounded like there was a single person clapping in the background, all through Alex's opening remarks. It even continued through a couple of clues. It was a steady pace, about 2 claps per second.
This is what I heard as well, in both cases.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought Erin said "verbotem," like her mouth just wanted to say "verbatim" with a different middle vowel, then corrected herself after/while Alex ruled her correct. The T/D issue is a non-issue to me, as the English T frequently gets pronounced as a D in between vowels. Think Taylor Swift saying "haters" in "Shake It Off."
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:10 pm
MasterCone wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:58 pm
Foretopman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:30 pm I assume "dulcet" is a no-go on Speak Softly for $600?
FWIW, I also said "dulcet"
I also had "dulcet"
A fourth for dulcet
And baby makes five! I'm taking points away from everyone because dulcet does not sync with the category, SPEAK SOFTLY. Hushed, muted, murmur and what were the other two? I also had "earth tones" for "muted" so I got dinged twice. And dulcet really means smooth or sweet, but who knows what TPTB woulda done!
Yet another for dulcet here!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

On FJ I clued into sodium = NA which led me to..... snack.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I didn’t hear ‘verboden’ or ‘verbodem’, but I distinctly thought I heard ‘Carrie BRONstein‘ instead of ‘BROWNstein‘. Is that really close enough?
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:44 am I thought Erin said "verbotem," like her mouth just wanted to say "verbatim" with a different middle vowel, then corrected herself after/while Alex ruled her correct. The T/D issue is a non-issue to me, as the English T frequently gets pronounced as a D in between vowels. Think Taylor Swift saying "haters" in "Shake It Off."
Yes, she utters an m at the end and corrects it immediately, I don't hear much difference in the t-d sound of both utterances.
earendel

Post by earendel »

harrumph wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 am On FJ I clued into sodium = NA which led me to..... snack.
Sulfur, sodium, carbon, & potassium. Doesn't sound very tasty. :mrgreen:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:55 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:44 am I thought Erin said "verbotem," like her mouth just wanted to say "verbatim" with a different middle vowel, then corrected herself after/while Alex ruled her correct. The T/D issue is a non-issue to me, as the English T frequently gets pronounced as a D in between vowels. Think Taylor Swift saying "haters" in "Shake It Off."
Yes, she utters an m at the end and corrects it immediately, I don't hear much difference in the t-d sound of both utterances.
Yeah, what I recall is never hearing it as "verboten" but I'd have to go back and check. Apparently it was good enough for the judges.
davey

Post by davey »

mahatma wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:47 am I didn’t hear ‘verboden’ or ‘verbodem’, but I distinctly thought I heard ‘Carrie BRONstein‘ instead of ‘BROWNstein‘. Is that really close enough?
That could be considered a matter of accent, though I know Erin is from Missouri, not Pittsburgh! Of course if it was spelled Braunstein it could be pronounced either way...
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:25 am
This was a game of some weird DD issues. Even though I got to the intended response, I still have no idea how to parse DD1. "... & will give you the name of a hunter"? What? DD2 was, unless I'm missing something, a pure YEKIOYD. Then there was Susan's wager on DD3, which caused Herm Edwards to start spinning in his grave despite the fact that he is alive and well in Tempe.
You have to take out the middle of DD1-
The state of Louisiana...will give you the name of a hunter
Lawrence Ferlinghetti comes up often on J! A reverse of this clue was an FJ in 2004 - San Francisco Poet Laureate and expecting his name - and 2 of the contestants got it right!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:25 am This was a game of some weird DD issues. Even though I got to the intended response, I still have no idea how to parse DD1. "... & will give you the name of a hunter"? What?
My wife said "crocodile" thinking the TOM was "the Crocodile Hunter." I agree it was poorly worded. Apparently what the clue was getting at is that you can call the state of Louisiana and they will "give you the name of a hunter" who can remove them pesky alligators...

Ferlinghetti was definitely a YEKIOYD, but I think it's a reasonably well-known bit of trivia that he owns or owned the City Lights book shop in SF.