2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

2019 Nobel Peace Prize goes to Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-50013273
Mr Abiy's peace deal with Eritrea ended a 20-year military stalemate following their 1998-2000 border war.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya breaks the 2-hour barrier for the marathon, running a specially-held marathon just for that purpose in Vienna, and finishing in 1:59:40. (According to this, the event was non-record eligible, so the official world record, set by Kipchoge last year at the Berlin Marathon, is 2:01:39.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:59 am Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya breaks the 2-hour barrier for the marathon, running a specially-held marathon just for that purpose in Vienna, and finishing in 1:59:40. (According to this, the event was non-record eligible, so the official world record, set by Kipchoge last year at the Berlin Marathon, is 2:01:39.)
Yeah, but nonetheless ... holy cow!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

From what I read, he had special teams of pacers running in formation around him to break the air resistance, a car leading the way with a special laser light to project on the pavement going at exactly the proper pace velocity, and he was getting his water and nutrition handed to him via bicyclists, and then the discarded bottles were recovered and weighed so they would know exactly how much to give him the next time. This was all just to see if, under the ideal conditions, it is physically possible for a human to run that distance in under two hours. Kipchoge made a similar attempt last year on a course in Italy and came up about 20 seconds short.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:22 pm From what I read, he had special teams of pacers running in formation around him to break the air resistance, a car leading the way with a special laser light to project on the pavement going at exactly the proper pace velocity, and he was getting his water and nutrition handed to him via bicyclists, and then the discarded bottles were recovered and weighed so they would know exactly how much to give him the next time. This was all just to see if, under the ideal conditions, it is physically possible for a human to run that distance in under two hours. Kipchoge made a similar attempt last year on a course in Italy and came up about 20 seconds short.
Understandable why it doesn’t count as a world record, but an amazing feat anyway. I would also suspect the course avoided going up hills.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:48 am
teapot37 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:22 pm From what I read, he had special teams of pacers running in formation around him to break the air resistance, a car leading the way with a special laser light to project on the pavement going at exactly the proper pace velocity, and he was getting his water and nutrition handed to him via bicyclists, and then the discarded bottles were recovered and weighed so they would know exactly how much to give him the next time. This was all just to see if, under the ideal conditions, it is physically possible for a human to run that distance in under two hours. Kipchoge made a similar attempt last year on a course in Italy and came up about 20 seconds short.
Understandable why it doesn’t count as a world record, but an amazing feat anyway. I would also suspect the course avoided going up hills.
Yes, flat, plus they waited for ideal weather conditions as well.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:51 am
triviawayne wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:48 am
Yes, flat, plus they waited for ideal weather conditions as well.
Kipchoge sets world record at 2:01 ish (in Berlin 2017?)
Me: AWESOME, WOW, ETC..

Kipchoge runs gimmicky sub 2 hrs!
Me: meh... Not out of snark, but his earlier achievement should not be diminished.

It seems to be a legal track, 9.6 km straight which is about 2.5 laps. They used roundabouts to smooth out the returns. They must have cut one lap short to begin and end at the same point (required).

The whole bicycle thing was superfluous imho. Why didn't they just run the bottles to him? Hell, even I can go 100 meters with him :). The pace keeping probably wasn't necessary for a world class runner, but the windbreak adds up, as slight as it probably was. I think the nourishment/water monitoring was no net help either. The guy knows how to run :roll: .

They didn't get the weather they forecast, and had higher humidity than the game plan.

I suppose this was the equivalent of launching dogs and monkeys into space. The sub 2 hour race will get run in a generation or three. If I were still running, I could deploy this technology to drop my PR 9:58 pace to 9:54! What to do with the extra time??
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Kenya's Brigid Kosgei has won the Chicago Marathon breaking Paula Radcliffe's women's world record which has stood for 16 years in a time of 2 hours 14 minutes 04 seconds, more than one minute faster than Radcliffe's 2:15:25 set at the London Marathon in 2003
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie - Netflix (and theaters)

Aaron Paul plays Jesse Pinkman

Robert Forster (died last week - also in Jackie Brown) plays vacuum salesman Ed Galbraith
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:47 am
Robert Forster (died last week - also in Jackie Brown) plays vacuum salesman Ed Galbraith
I can't resist pointing out that Robert Forster made his film debut in 1967 in John Huston's Reflections in a Golden Eye, based on the Carson McCullers novel. In the film Forster is the erotic obsession of Marlon Brando. Elizabeth Taylor also starred.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The 2019 Man Booker prize is shared by Margaret Atwood (her second) and Bernardine Evaristo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50014906
Atwood's The Testaments, the Canadian writer's follow-up to The Handmaid's Tale, was recognised alongside Londoner Evaristo's novel Girl, Woman, Other.

The pair will split the literary award's £50,000 prize money equally.

The Booker rules say the prize must not be divided, but the judges insisted they "couldn't separate" the two works.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

guns n roses' song "sweet child o' mine" becomes the first music video from the 1980s to reach 1 billion views on youtube
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:02 pm guns n roses' song "sweet child o' mine" becomes the first music video from the 1980s to reach 1 billion views on youtube
Summer last year, their "November Rain" video became the first pre-YouTube video to get a billion views on the site; this past summer, almost exactly a year later, the official upload of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" video became the oldest one to hit that milestone.

[massively edited due to my previously thinking the "November Rain" news was from this year]
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:54 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:02 pm guns n roses' song "sweet child o' mine" becomes the first music video from the 1980s to reach 1 billion views on youtube
Just this summer, their "November Rain" video became the first pre-YouTube video to get a billion views on the site, followed closely by Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" video.
saw that last week....was fact-checking and editing a trivia game for this bar trivia company and came across that when one of the questions pertained to youtube views..weird how just the following week they get another video over 1 billion views
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Flight attendants at Air Canada will no longer greet passengers as "ladies and gentlemen" or "mesdames et messieurs" as they switch "to remove specific references to gender."
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Just this summer, their "November Rain" video became the first pre-YouTube video to get a billion views on the site, followed closely by Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" video.
"November Rain" reached that milestone in July 2018. The second to do so was "Numb" by Linkin Park, four months later.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

the washington nationals advance to the world series for the first time, leaving only the seattle mariners as the only current mlkb team not to have been to a world series
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:44 pm
"November Rain" reached that milestone in July 2018. The second to do so was "Numb" by Linkin Park, four months later.
Thanks. I just heard about "November Rain" from HQ recently, then looked it up when researching my post, saw July and didn't notice the year.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

This week, California will launch the first-ever earthquake early warning mobile app. They will begin issuing quake warnings via text message statewide, even for people who have not downloaded the app.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

PHOTOGRAPHS
In October 2019, the U.S. Marine Corps acknowledged it had misidentified a second man in this famous photograph by Joe Rosenthal
Spoiler
The (second) flag raising on Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima, in 1945. Rosenthal, Iwo Jima, and Suribachi all have hits in the J-Archive.