Wednesday, October 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This man who ruled from 1949 to 1976 was sometimes called “the Red Sun”

Ed Condon: 22600+20000=42600 (2x = $73,600)
John Hancock: 18600-18600=0
Jackie Schulte: 4000+3999=7999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mao Zedong (or Mao) (or Chairman Mao) (or Mao Tse-tung) (Ed – Mao) (John – Kruschev) (Jackie Mao Zedong)

Daily Doubles
Ed: 3800+3800
Jackie: 4600-3000
John: 5800+4000

Coryats
Ed: 19600
John: 15400
Jackie: 7000

Combined: 42,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ed: 9800
John: 3800
Jackie: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ouch on Ed laying out the history teacher line to double up on DD1 and then botching the Bob Harris Trebekistan special on the $1000 clue.

Alex took a quick liking to John as I think the opera singer job caught his fancy. Throw in "pipes" and it was obvious the host enjoyed the challenger. Alex did not even have a chance to comment on today's John sharing a name with a founding father.

Ed needed 37201 to cover John's potential doubling (which he did attempt) and went above & beyond getting 42600. If John had farmed DD3 then the potential was 40800 though still a loss.

Ed was clutch near the end getting a couple of big clues to insure the lead for the FJ! round. The round could have been completed but John added a little too much flourish in his responses to waste precious seconds.

The FJ! clue had me not match either Ed or Jackie as I went old school for writing the correct response that had multiple options. A get is a get is a get is a get. Oh, sorry, wrong day.

Nice title defense by Ed who is perfect on big clues so far in a small sample.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jackie could be partially seen several times enjoying John delivering correct responses as the shot (perhaps necessary due to John's height?) was not always a solo zoom.
Spoiler

Archiving is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6444
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran both Crunch Time and "Abs", plus Sometimes Y in DJ!

Tyler, Arthur, Van Buren, Pierce? They were really scraping the bottom of the barrel on that Presidents category. When's the last time Pierce has come up at all?

Don't recognize "Pitch Perfect", was wrong with "High School Musical". Heard of "Legally Blonde" but had no idea what it was about for a 3/5.

All but Denmark in Geographical Nicknames, all but Eddie in TV Pets.

Also can't say I've heard of "baby's breath" before.

No guess on FJ! I would have been several centuries off when asked when Mao Zedong was alive.

Lach Trash: Titanic, east/yeast
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

A first for me...other than the rain category, no NHOs in the first round. A couple of brain-stalls: The "Legally Blonde" clue just came up in my head as "that movie with the Clueless girl - oh, Alicia SIlverstone - where she had a yippy little dog that was turned into a musical." Give me a minute, and I get to it. I wouldn't have gotten the president before Arthur in time to ring in even in a stand-and-stare competition, but I did just last week memorize all 45 presidents in forward order, and I knew Cleveland was after, not before.

They could have been a lot meaner in the DD by asking "Cleveland - both of them"...or, even "Cleveland - one of them" would have been tough. I was precalling that. My mnemonic for the six post-Reconstruction presidents: A fog (Hayes) surrounding a cartoon cat (Garfield), and a cartoon aardvark (Arthur) going to Cleveland, along with the Beatle (B Harrison) going to Cleveland too.

Not sure if I would have gotten to "abstract" given infinite time, but like most wordplays, not a NHO. I was confused by the Judy Blume clue, until I saw the "God" and "Margaret". My brain was still on "Margaret Mitchell" from earlier.

DJ! was tougher on me - my closest thing to a response in the "ship" category was "that albatross poem" for "Rime of the Ancient Mariner". And, unlike "Legally Blonde", I wasn't going to suss that one out.

FJ! seemed easy to me, but it's easy when you know it. It may as well have been saying "Who was the leader of China?", with "red" leading to China or Russia as being the obvious communist choices, and Russia not being right for the timing. I honestly had to think about Mao vs Chiang Kai-Shek, but the latter was Taiwan, and harder to spell: Occam's Razor said to go with Mao. Glad that they accepted Mao, since it is a last name (and also a common mononym, ie "Chairman Mao".)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:05 am Ouch on Ed laying out the history teacher line to double up on DD1 and then botching the Bob Harris Trebekistan special on the $1000 clue.
:lol: Presidents should be at the top of the list to swot up on for anyone in the pool. For most US-educated people it shouldn't be too difficult. You've got a lot of basic knowledge and just need to fill in the gaps. I got pretty good at the basics using an Anki deck that quizzed me on who came before, who after, and what years the guy was in office. There are a ton of clues that basically boil down to questions about that info.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 pm
FJ! seemed easy to me, but it's easy when you know it. It may as well have been saying "Who was the leader of China?", with "red" leading to China or Russia as being the obvious communist choices, and Russia not being right for the timing. I honestly had to think about Mao vs Chiang Kai-Shek, but the latter was Taiwan, and harder to spell: Occam's Razor said to go with Mao. Glad that they accepted Mao, since it is a last name (and also a common mononym, ie "Chairman Mao".)
The year 1949 was a dead giveaway for me.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:34 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:05 am Ouch on Ed laying out the history teacher line to double up on DD1 and then botching the Bob Harris Trebekistan special on the $1000 clue.
:lol: Presidents should be at the top of the list to swot up on for anyone in the pool. For most US-educated people it shouldn't be too difficult. You've got a lot of basic knowledge and just need to fill in the gaps. I got pretty good at the basics using an Anki deck that quizzed me on who came before, who after, and what years the guy was in office. There are a ton of clues that basically boil down to questions about that info.
That and state capitals. World capitals are good, too. Somehow, I managed to get through grade school without memorizing any of those. Surprised at how literally "easy" some of the questions are once you memorize those - Cheyenne, Wyoming was on the recent College test, and today's category was also pure rote.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

1949-1976 = WECIB.
Anyone else wanting to do an Iron Maiden shout-out when the "Ryme of the Ancient Mariner" clue came up?
Spotting the contestants "New England village" on Sabrina's cat? C'mon, make it a little challenging at least.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Ed needed 37201 to cover John's potential doubling (which he did attempt) and went above & beyond getting 42600.
Despite possibly witnessing a FJ round leader defeated by making the 'recommended' wager in a similar scenario on the previous taping day,
Ed threw caution to the wind to pad his hopeful payday. I bet he wishes he pulled this FJ clue in his first game. He could have made as much as $14,800 more.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 pm 1949-1976 = WECIB.
Anyone else wanting to do an Iron Maiden shout-out when the "Ryme of the Ancient Mariner" clue came up?
Spotting the contestants "New England village" on Sabrina's cat? C'mon, make it a little challenging at least.
yeah that was pretty much a joke of a daily double clue...got it as soon as i saw sabrina...then i was like wtf when they gave more info that was pretty much a dead giveaway
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm totally bummed we're not going to see more of John. And yeah, they seemed to have trouble framing the shot because of his height. I don't remember ever seeing parts of the other two contestants in the picture when the middle contestant was answering.

Yeah, the totalitarian Chinese regime just threw a big party for its 50th anniversary.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 pm I'm totally bummed we're not going to see more of John. And yeah, they seemed to have trouble framing the shot because of his height. I don't remember ever seeing parts of the other two contestants in the picture when the middle contestant was answering.

Yeah, the totalitarian Chinese regime just threw a big party for its 50th anniversary.
70th.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ: I was going with Gahndi from the 1949 sounding about right and TIL he was assassinated before that. Once I thought of Mao Tse Tsung, my only worry was spelling. And it was a little doubletake to realize his run was "only" 27 years. Hell, Putin is going to make that with a few more changes to their Constitution.

Good for Alex for staying clam on the opera singer's namesake. I make it a practice whenever I meet a John Hancock, or a Will Smith, or whatever to not say a damn thing. I would not even comment on Dr. Goodenough (Nobel Chemistry winner 2019), if I were to meet him.

John was a hoot, as a big jolly Herman Munster vibe.

No way to know Sabrina's cat without the TOM. But I wasn't likely to guess Bridgeport from it, so it maybe could have been a little more opaque.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 pm A couple of brain-stalls: The "Legally Blonde" clue just came up in my head as "that movie with the Clueless girl - oh, Alicia SIlverstone - where she had a yippy little dog that was turned into a musical." Give me a minute, and I get to it.
How long until you got to the girl in the movie actually being Reese Witherspoon? :)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

clt013 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:00 am
talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 pm A couple of brain-stalls: The "Legally Blonde" clue just came up in my head as "that movie with the Clueless girl - oh, Alicia SIlverstone - where she had a yippy little dog that was turned into a musical." Give me a minute, and I get to it.
How long until you got to the girl in the movie actually being Reese Witherspoon? :)
Oops...my bad. In my defense, Alicia Silverstone did beat out Reese Witherspoon (and Goopeth Paltrow) for Clueless. So....what-ev-ah!

https://www.eonline.com/news/665159/as- ... n-clueless
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 pm Anyone else wanting to do an Iron Maiden shout-out when the "Ryme of the Ancient Mariner" clue came up?
Yep.