Thursday, October 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, October 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

Diplomatic immunity. Uh, awkward!

Didn’t know Streisand tied Hepburn in ‘69. Did they both get Oscars?

Couldn’t pull Vasari, a name I’ve made a point of remembering. Got a little flustered and tongue-tied like Ed tonight

Missed 2/3 DD. Yikes

Sumerian wasn’t coming. I had Aramaic and knew it was wrong

That was a Kid’s Week level final jeopardy
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:51 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:47 pm still can't believe british columbia was a triple stumper
Canadian geography is a major source of triple stumpers. They might as well ask about the names of public parks in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.

There are only 10 provinces, and J! asks about them all the time. I cannot for the life of me figure out how so many otherwise knowledgeable people have that same gap.
I always get thrown by east / west references. For whatever reason, I can’t process direction. I remember being super smart as a kid but struggling with stupid stuff like reading time on a clock. It’s bound to be my downfall. I took a sewing class once and everything was inside out and upside down, it hurt my brain
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:52 pm Diplomatic immunity. Uh, awkward!

Couldn’t pull Vasari, a name I’ve made a point of remembering. Got a little flustered and tongue-tied like Ed tonight

Missed 2/3 DD. Yikes

Sumerian wasn’t coming. I had Aramaic and knew it was wrong

so you are saying tenpoundhammer would not do well on a kids week episode?
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:29 pm I noticed that unlike most Thursday-Friday shows they didn't show Johnny on camera today during the intro. Was he absent?

Couldn't pull Edmund Hillary since the "partner" was throwing me off.

Blanked on Basque and British Columbia to end up 0/5 in Isolates.

NHO "Daredevil" or "Adam Ruins Everything".

Bad performance in Magic & Illusion. Blanked on Houdini, Blaine, AND Copperfield somehow. Jay was the only NHOI there.

"Obsequious" was my only miss in "Ob".

Absolutely no guess on FJ! Couldn't think of any films from last year that had anything to do with materialism and China. Absolute NHOI on the final response. How was this a triple get? No big names were attached to the film and it didn't seem to leave much of an impact.

Lach Trash: "but wait, there's more"
was a very popular movie that was nominated for academy awards
It received no Academy Award nominations. The movie didn't get much critical love for its aesthetic or dramatic qualities, but it was one of the most written-about pictures of the year, for bringing an Asian-American story to a Hollywood movie.

Someone predicted it would be a factor on J! before it was released, over a year ago...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4741&p=284827&hilit ... ns#p284827
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

I'm a Vegas native, so I'm glad to see Daryn win. I also liked his contestant interview talking about James as well.

I also was happy to see a triple-get FJ for the first time in a while. Granted it was a pretty easy clue, but still, to go without a miss in FJ is always sweet.

Hope Daryn goes on a lengthy run, it'd be nice to see 2 Vegas streakers in one year.
davey

Post by davey »

I'm not sure how I feel about Ed getting rapped for his varying vowel on Ainu, but I kinda wished he'd been penalized for the way he said objets d'art - almost like objets d'artre...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:47 pm still can't believe british columbia was a triple stumper
Canadian geography is a major source of triple stumpers. They might as well ask about the names of public parks in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.

There are only 10 provinces, and J! asks about them all the time. I cannot for the life of me figure out how so many otherwise knowledgeable people have that same gap.
It was also a Tom that the clue referred to Kootenai, which is a mountain range on the west side of the Rockies, in British Columbia and extending into the US. Kootenai is a county in Northern Idaho, where Coeur d'Alene is.

Even if someone gets their East and West mixed up, Alberta does not border Manitoba. And the third contestant seemed to be going for one of the Atlantic provinces.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:53 pm I'm not sure how I feel about Ed getting rapped for his varying vowel on Ainu, but I kinda wished he'd been penalized for the way he said objets d'art - almost like objets d'artre...
Oooh that would’ve been brutal! This reminds me of when Alex dinged Arthur Chu for saying Frances McD(ar)mond and not McD(or)mond. He got real sassy with his pronunciation after that ruling
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:52 pm
Isn’t there a separate thread for that?
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

I was very glad that Daryn got the last DJ clue so that I did not have to see another "lock-tie" game play out.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 pm
Isn’t there a separate thread for that?
yeah you are right, but this is easier..i am lazy..now if they had an option to quote and send it to another thread, then i would do that, but they don't, so i just do the quotes in the given thread
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

If there's an FJ clue about a recent movie that I know instantly I figure it's easy, and I knew this one instantly. My wife said she thinks they should have removed the bit about "in Chinese and English" to make it more challenging. That certainly would have done the trick, but I still don't think that would be too difficult.

My pre-call of "The Big Chill" was a ways off, by the way. :D
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:43 am If there's an FJ clue about a recent movie that I know instantly I figure it's easy, and I knew this one instantly. My wife said she thinks they should have removed the bit about "in Chinese and English" to make it more challenging. That certainly would have done the trick, but I still don't think that would be too difficult.

My pre-call of "The Big Chill" was a ways off, by the way. :D
you are right...would have made it more challenging...i would have gone with ready player one
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

That was a really easy FJ. I knew the answer BEFORE Trebek could finish reading the clue (I haven’t watched the movie, but my dad and my sis have.).
It's the end of the journey that counts.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Yes, both got Oscars. Streisand for Funny Girl, Hepburn for The Lion In Winter.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:04 am I joined them for knowing the title while sympathizing with the follow-up posters here who knew the movie but not the title.
I've heard of the title, but I have little to no interest in movies, so I was never going to get this one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:43 am If there's an FJ clue about a recent movie that I know instantly I figure it's easy, and I knew this one instantly. My wife said she thinks they should have removed the bit about "in Chinese and English" to make it more challenging. That certainly would have done the trick, but I still don't think that would be too difficult.
I feel like if the "in Chinese and English" bit had been removed, the only way to make it at all gettable for someone who hadn't seen it would have been to mention that the Coldplay song "Yellow" was also on the soundtrack, but that's probably too risqué for J!.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,200
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: He's Just Not That Into You (DD), Michael Cohen, Sumerian (DD), British Columbia, (Ainu)

Most of my awareness of Crazy Rich Asians comes from the trailer they ran for a couple of weeks during the HQ Trivia pre-roll. Tonight, that was enough.
morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:52 pm Sumerian wasn’t coming. I had Aramaic and knew it was wrong
I think I would have gotten it anyway, but it just so happens that my (homeschooled) children just finished learning about the Sumerians.

This was a special case. The clue talked about the province's "eastern border with Alberta." It's very easy, particularly under The Lights, to fail to parse that that means they are asking for the province to the west of Alberta.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I needed the negs and still couldn't push through to BC in time. It was there but just wouldn't come. Just one of those recall things that always eludes me. Much like "which planet is largest".

Also I see literally zero reason to retain this film for future reference. The director has zero Archive hits, and doesn't seem to have worked on anything else noteworthy. The actors seem like they're Z-tier at best.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:17 am
I feel like if the "in Chinese and English" bit had been removed, the only way to make it at all gettable for someone who hadn't seen it would have been to mention that the Coldplay song "Yellow" was also on the soundtrack, but that's probably too risqué for J!.
I don't think so. It would come down to "name a movie from last year in which those two songs would fit."