Thursday, October 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'm not big on movies outside of a couple specific genres. I'd seen ads for Crazy Rich Asians, and they didn't make the movie look interesting to me. The best guess I could make was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Which, with the benefit of 20 seconds of research, is almost 2 decades off. Haven't seen that one either, but didn't realize it was that old.

Is the moral of today's interview segment "don't tell cat stories"? :lol:
--Peter
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:02 pm Even if someone gets their East and West mixed up, Alberta does not border Manitoba. And the third contestant seemed to be going for one of the Atlantic provinces.
I didn't understand why Laura buzzed in when she wasn't even prepared with a response, let alone the correct response. Lots of things can go kablooey under The Lights, but one should be prepared to stay clam in a situation such as this one. Her opponents' negs gave her enough time to either figure it out or decide that she didn't have it figured out.

FJ! was an instaget for me, even though I didn't see the movie.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:02 pm Even if someone gets their East and West mixed up, Alberta does not border Manitoba. And the third contestant seemed to be going for one of the Atlantic provinces.
I didn't understand why Laura buzzed in when she wasn't even prepared with a response, let alone the correct response. Lots of things can go kablooey under The Lights, but one should be prepared to stay clam in a situation such as this one. Her opponents' negs gave her enough time to either figure it out or decide that she didn't have it figured out.
I'll bet she realized the response she was going to give was one that had already been given.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

As a happy medium, I would have edited the FJ! clue to "in English and another language" to increase the difficulty - the clue itself had 2/3 of the correct response as quasi-synonyms. I had the movie immediately, but my first exposure to the clue was here by accident, and just flipped through and thought "Oh, that Rich Crazy Asians movie". Would almost definitely have fine-tuned the answer, even under lights.

Despite my love of hockey and knowledge of the Battle of Alberta (Calgary Flames vs Edmonton Oilers), I would have frozen on the British Columbia clue simply because of the awkward wording. Ask me "what province is west of Alberta", and BC is an instaget for me, since my Bruins always play VAN, EDM, CGY in some order in the same Western Canadian road trip every year. That said, with all the bumbling from the contestants, I did get to BC in time on the fourth podium, and not just because the two provinces to the east of Alberta were eliminated.

The "But wait there's more / As Seen On TV" was a bit of negbait and I did fall for it. That said, looking up the history, Popeil does get credit for popularizing the former phrase, while the latter phrase is stamped on products from a wide variety of sources - Ronco, but K-Tel and Time/Life, too. If the book were about the infomercial industry in general, the latter would me more apropos.

Diplomatic immunity. Are we sure time-travelers don't work for J!? I'm just asking.

I bobbled the "Lean in" clue for "Lean forward". And for "first come, first served", I had "first in, first out"...and, hell, I'm giving myself credit. Four words, check. Ordinal, check. And here's a reasonable source, which literally has "first come, first served" in it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFO_(com ... ectronics)

It's also an accounting term, meaning the first items in inventory are the first ones you sell. If you buy a box of raisin bran for $4, and then buy another for $5, and sell one box for $7, your FIFO profit on the single box is $3. Your LIFO profit would have been $2.

I had an awful time with the "obs"cure category. The "obs" words in the $800 and $1200 clues distracted me...leave them out, and I might get to the right answer. The $2000 clue, however, I got - seemed way easier than a lot of the others in that column to me. But again, it's easy when you know it.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 am Also I see literally zero reason to retain this film for future reference. The director has zero Archive hits, and doesn't seem to have worked on anything else noteworthy. The actors seem like they're Z-tier at best.
This seems like a bad strategy. The director, Jon M. Chu, is 39 years old. The fact that this is his first major project means very little. Taking five seconds to google his name reveals that he is slated to direct the film adaptation of In the Heights, which is a big deal (for J! purposes, at least) because it is the musical Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote before writing Hamilton. As for the actors, several of them are fairly well-known. Constance Wu is one of the stars of ABC's Fresh Off the Boat. Awkwafina is an up-and-coming rapper/actress/comedian who had a significant role as a member of Sandra Bullock's crew in Ocean's 8. Ken Jeong is all over the darn place, from his role as the impostor Spanish teach Mr. Chang on NBC's Community, to playing the drug lord in the The Hangover series, to various other commercials and media appearances. Michelle Yeoh was one of the stars of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Also, there are currently two sequels in the works. This will come up again.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:23 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 am Also I see literally zero reason to retain this film for future reference. The director has zero Archive hits, and doesn't seem to have worked on anything else noteworthy. The actors seem like they're Z-tier at best.
This seems like a bad strategy. The director, Jon M. Chu, is 39 years old. The fact that this is his first major project means very little. Taking five seconds to google his name reveals that he is slated to direct the film adaptation of In the Heights, which is a big deal (for J! purposes, at least) because it is the musical Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote before writing Hamilton. As for the actors, several of them are fairly well-known. Constance Wu is one of the stars of ABC's Fresh Off the Boat. Awkwafina is an up-and-coming rapper/actress/comedian who had a significant role as a member of Sandra Bullock's crew in Ocean's 8. Ken Jeong is all over the darn place, from his role as the impostor Spanish teach Mr. Chang on NBC's Community, to playing the drug lord in the The Hangover series, to various other commercials and media appearances. Michelle Yeoh was one of the stars of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Also, there are currently two sequels in the works. This will come up again.
Everybody knows the writers don't ask about something until it appears in the J-Archive at least 10 times...
goongas

Post by goongas »

If a movie grosses over $100 million domestically (maybe 150 or 200?), especially if it is not a sequel, it is fair game for Jeopardy! knowledge (maybe the super hero movies not as important because there are so many of them?). Also, movies that are nominated for and especially win Oscars.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It still seems like one of those movies that's going to be "famous for being famous". I bet you 10 years down the line, everyone will know its title and critical acclaim, but no one will be able to tell you a damn thing ABOUT it. It just has that air to it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed 4-Word Exchange $1000 and Magic & Illusion $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (He's Just Not That Into You), Michael Cohen, First Come First Served, (Sumerian), British Columbia, *Ainu*
Douglas Squasoni
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:24 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:17 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:43 am If there's an FJ clue about a recent movie that I know instantly I figure it's easy, and I knew this one instantly. My wife said she thinks they should have removed the bit about "in Chinese and English" to make it more challenging. That certainly would have done the trick, but I still don't think that would be too difficult.
I feel like if the "in Chinese and English" bit had been removed, the only way to make it at all gettable for someone who hadn't seen it would have been to mention that the Coldplay song "Yellow" was also on the soundtrack, but that's probably too risqué for J!.
I don't think so. It would come down to "name a movie from last year in which those two songs would fit."
I think the problem is that a Jeopardy! clue has to be as specific and narrowly tailored as possible. Can we really be positive that none of the hundreds of other movies released in 2018 included these songs? Maybe we can - from a check of IMDB it seems that an obscure short film named First Timers was the only other 2018 release to have "Money" on the soundtrack, and it did not include "Material Girl." And there is precedent - the famous Pulp Fiction Daily Double from the All-Stars was just a year and two songs. But as a general rule it is dangerous.
goongas

Post by goongas »

It still seems like one of those movies that's going to be "famous for being famous". I bet you 10 years down the line, everyone will know its title and critical acclaim, but no one will be able to tell you a damn thing ABOUT it. It just has that air to it.
That is true about a lot of movies, but Jeopardy! wants to ask about current movies at times, which I applaud them for doing so. They have to relate to the current generation of show watchers as well as older generations. The show wouldn't be interesting if they asked about the same old chestnuts all the time. One criterion I heard which I mostly agree with regarding picking the Best Picture Oscar winner is, "will people care about this movie in 30 years?" Some of the latest choices I don't think adhere to this criterion.
davey

Post by davey »

goongas wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 pm
That is true about a lot of movies, but Jeopardy! wants to ask about current movies at times, which I applaud them for doing so. They have to relate to the current generation of show watchers as well as older generations. The show wouldn't be interesting if they asked about the same old chestnuts all the time. One criterion I heard which I mostly agree with regarding picking the Best Picture Oscar winner is, "will people care about this movie in 30 years?" Some of the latest choices I don't think adhere to this criterion.
I was shocked to be reminded on Friday's show that over 30 years ago...
Spoiler
The Sting won Best Picture...Or how about The Greatest Show on Earth in 1952? High Noon was also nominated that year.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Language Isolates $1600: Was I the only one to say "Who are those darn Etruscans?" :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Foretopman wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:39 am Language Isolates $1600: Was I the only one to say "Who are those darn Etruscans?" :D
Nope! Count me as another. (Well, "darned", but close enough.) I assume that's what the writers were going for.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:28 am
Foretopman wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:39 am Language Isolates $1600: Was I the only one to say "Who are those darn Etruscans?" :D
Nope! Count me as another. (Well, "darned", but close enough.) I assume that's what the writers were going for.
Me three!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Catching up on old games and thought I’d throw in a helpful mnemonic I learned that has helped me in Canadian geography.

The first letters in the six big provinces starting in the west spell BASMOQ. That made today’s clue an Instaget.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 am The first letters in the six big provinces starting in the west spell BASMOQ. That made today’s clue an Instaget.
It's a good thing you're not in Canada or you could be fined for not mentioning that it's CASMOQ in French.