Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

I guessed Zaire just to say something. If I had thought about it more, I might have gotten the Rhodesia/Zimbabwe hook.

I said "Barnum's Animals" and wondered if I had given TMI, but that's what Nabisco's animals crackers are called. I had a very strong memory of the bars on the Barnum's Animals boxes.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Double Talk, NHO the bottom two in Clue "N" Response.

"Cage free" threw me because I couldn't think of what brand of cookies would have to do with chickens or eggs. Also didn't know Animal Crackers were considered a brand.

Around the World for $200 felt like a coinflip on Barcelona/Madrid at BEST, and I saw no way to narrow it down.

I knew that Mary Baker Eddy = Christian Scientist, but it somehow came out of my mouth as "Scientific American". That one stung because it was my only miss.

NHO Stuart family or Mutiny on the Bounty (at least in the context of a film) to my knowledge.

FJ! felt like a total word salad that I couldn't make heads or tails of.

Lach Trash: Vietnam, flea, larva, cancel, laden
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 pm Around the World for $200 felt like a coinflip on Barcelona/Madrid at BEST, and I saw no way to narrow it down.
One is the capital.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:32 pm Blindly guessed Nigeria (were they even in the Commonwealth?)
Yes, in fact Nigeria is still in the Commonwealth.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:01 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 pm Around the World for $200 felt like a coinflip on Barcelona/Madrid at BEST, and I saw no way to narrow it down.
One is the capital.
True, but "Barcelona" just SOUNDS more like a capital city than Madrid does, and it just freezes me up every time. I can't find a handy trick to keep this one in the memory banks either, just like I can't ever remember which planet is the largest, or which Dakota has Mount Rushmore.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

Fletcher Christian seized command of the Bounty during the mutiny, you didn't have to know anything about the movie, only that they made a movie about the mutiny.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

goongas wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:11 am Fletcher Christian seized command of the Bounty during the mutiny, you didn't have to know anything about the movie, only that they made a movie about the mutiny.
True, but I have to know that there even WAS a movie, or in this case several of them. I know about the actual event, but had clue zero about there being any movies on it.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 pm Ran Double Talk, NHO the bottom two in Clue "N" Response.

"Cage free" threw me because I couldn't think of what brand of cookies would have to do with chickens or eggs. Also didn't know Animal Crackers were considered a brand.

Around the World for $200 felt like a coinflip on Barcelona/Madrid at BEST, and I saw no way to narrow it down.

I knew that Mary Baker Eddy = Christian Scientist, but it somehow came out of my mouth as "Scientific American". That one stung because it was my only miss.

NHO Stuart family or Mutiny on the Bounty (at least in the context of a film) to my knowledge.

FJ! felt like a total word salad that I couldn't make heads or tails of.

Lach Trash: Vietnam, flea, larva, cancel, laden
i agree with you on this one...don't see how that was a top box clue...was the only one i missed in that category
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

My TOM for FJ was similar to some of the others:

1. Eliminate South Africa right away as negbait
2. Hmmm...Mugabe got removed from power a year or so ago
3. Zimbabwe used to be Rhodesia, makes sense they were part of the Commonwealth and got kicked out due to Mugabe’s antics
4. OK, go with Zimbabwe!

Not easy, but doable.
The stand-and-stare on Christian Science Monitor was surprising. And watching Daryn try to check letters on “icicle” was painful; you rang in, you need to say something, just go with it, it looks plausible and WECIB?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 am The stand-and-stare on Christian Science Monitor was surprising. And watching Daryn try to check letters on “icicle” was painful; you rang in, you need to say something, just go with it, it looks plausible and WECIB?
I wasn't expecting anything beginning with "ice" because "icelandic" was in the category name and I didn't expect them to give you that much of a head start on a $1,200 clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:48 am
cthulhu wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 am The stand-and-stare on Christian Science Monitor was surprising. And watching Daryn try to check letters on “icicle” was painful; you rang in, you need to say something, just go with it, it looks plausible and WECIB?
I wasn't expecting anything beginning with "ice" because "icelandic" was in the category name and I didn't expect them to give you that much of a head start on a $1,200 clue.
"Icicle" doesn't begin with "ice."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:15 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:48 am
"Icicle" doesn't begin with "ice."
It does if you seem to have that situational dyslexia that creeps up on me now and neht.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 am And watching Daryn try to check letters on “icicle” was painful; you rang in, you need to say something, just go with it, it looks plausible and WECIB?
Could have been a 27-foot-long candle...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Until they decide to leave the name of the category up on the screen for viewers at home, I am going to HATE categories like 'Icelandic'. And even if they do, I don't find it to be interesting wordplay anyway.

I had read up on Zimbabwe recently, so that was an instaget.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Leander wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am Not quite an instaget FJ for me, but less than 5 seconds. Thought process was:
Spoiler
1. African countries with undemocratic leadership (okay, there are lots of them, don't try to list them all)
2. One that had a long-term dictator who lost power in the last couple years? Mugabe - Zimbabwe. Colonial power = Britain (as Rhodesia), check.
I came to the same answer but started with step 2, it only troubled me because I thought they had probably been kicked out of the Commonwealth much earlier. But I couldn’t come up with a better guess.
Same here. I liked how the clue was sort of a hybid between world history and current events.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I had the most stupid incorrect response for FJ!. Yes, it was a country in Africa...but quite possibly the worst guess while still being on the right continent. Any guesses?

Once the first clue was revealed in CLUE "N" RESPONSE, I precalled Guns N Roses, although, unlike Jeopardy Jason, I'm not much of a metalhead. Speaking of which, once again I wish they'd pin down the exact rules for wordplay categories. Alex said "N coming up in each correct response", but I mean...is it words with the letter N? Do they begin with N? End in N? Like the & SOMETIMES "Y" category (with responses like "east and yeast"), it's obvious when you see an example.

I was surprised that none of the contestants pavloved Mary Baker Eddy with Christian Science and then added the "Monitor" to it, especially when "religion" was right in the clue. But then again, I'm forgiving of freezing in the spotlight - you could easily know the religion/founder part, and then get tongue-tied on the name of the paper. I ran the newspaper category, although it's the kind of category I could easily see myself blanking on.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:03 pm I had the most stupid incorrect response for FJ!. Yes, it was a country in Africa...but quite possibly the worst guess while still being on the right continent. Any guesses?
Liberia? Madagascar? Egypt? Mauritius? Cape Verde? The Seychelles? Lesotho?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:03 pm I had the most stupid incorrect response for FJ!. Yes, it was a country in Africa...but quite possibly the worst guess while still being on the right continent. Any guesses?
Dumber than "Egypt"? Which I considered before deciding it was the country for the dictator guy that just died. Still couldn't pull the country, (or Mugabe's name), knowing it was a name change from Rhodesia. I didn't realize the Commonwealth was still a thing with the African colonies and just tried to think of international cricket countries which stalled at South Africa, my final answer.

I think the judges would have taken "Rhodesia", but I would have stuck with South Africa, in spite of the use of "African" in the clue.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:45 pm
Dumber than "Egypt"? Which I considered before deciding it was the country for the dictator guy that just died. Still couldn't pull the country, (or Mugabe's name), knowing it was a name change from Rhodesia. I didn't realize the Commonwealth was still a thing with the African colonies and just tried to think of international cricket countries which stalled at South Africa.
still a thing...they still participate in the commonwealth games as well...2 non british colonized countries are even part of it....mozambique and rwanda
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sao Tome and Principe.