Tuesday, October 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by goongas »

I thought of the three mentioned so far in this thread, I said Dolly Parton, as I know she has had a lot of albums, acted in a few things, but I guess she is not known as an actress, and probably most of her albums would not have been top 10.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 pm Anyone else try Dolly Parton?
I did, but knew that was probably incorrect and no other names came to mind.

Also, RIP Filene's Basement (the brick and mortar version, at least).
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I considered Cher and Barbra and went with Cher. I probably should have gotten this right because of the dates; I saw The Cher Show on Broadway this summer and should have realized that 1963 was too early based on how young she was when Sonny and Cher broke out (though I'm surprised I Got You Babe was as early as 1965).

FWIW, Barbra developed severe stage fright after forgetting some lyrics while performing live; there was a period of 27 years during which she essentially didn't perform live. This might have given her comparatively more time to concentrate on her recording career as opposed to artists who tour extensively.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I'm another person whose Kosman Koin came up the wrong way between Cher and Streisand. :( So for the 2nd time this season, I start a week 0 for 2 on FJ's.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It seems like the question about Disraeli was cumbersome by using the locution "person of Jewish ancestry." Is there some reason they couldn't have referred to him as a Jewish person or a Jew? Is the latter term now regarded as a dirty word?

I insta got Streisand by knowing she began her recording career in 1963 and won Best New Artist, by the way. And also knowing she's come out with almost an album a year after that until maybe 15 years ago when she started to reduce her output. I think her albums usually came out in the fall and were big sellers at Christmas time.

I didn't consider Cher but the other singer that I thought about for a moment was Diana Ross, who also started her recording career about the same time. I don't think she had 30 top 10 albums though, even if you considered her brief career with the Supremes. She has also only done a small number of acting roles, so that she probably would not be referred to as a singer-actress.

Two of the players hit Daily Doubles on the first entry into a category. Classical music was straightforward enough but that Tree Grows in Book Land category was not. The contestant was lucky he got a softball question about Robin Hood. I ran classical music, but at least one of the reasons that the contestants had trouble with it was that they attacked it from the bottom up. It would have been much more straightforward to play from the top down, as the game is designed to be played.

I am surprised that none of the contestants knew theophile. There was a time when I would have attempted a smart mouth answer of Malcolm-Jamal Warner. But that would be dating myself.
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I really liked how Martha wrote her name, but I'm surprised she'd bet more than $5 on that CLASSICAL MUSIC DD given how little she seemed to know about the subject

Cher for me, too, but I was afraid I was overlooking somebody HUGE

Third place bet it all!
davey

Post by davey »

goongas wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:41 pm I thought of the three mentioned so far in this thread, I said Dolly Parton, as I know she has had a lot of albums, acted in a few things, but I guess she is not known as an actress, and probably most of her albums would not have been top 10.
Dolly Parton has had notable success as an actress - think only of 9 to 5. The problem is she was not a great star until the '70s...
Barbra is always my go-to name for female music legends - my only other pre-call was Taylor Swift, and - I admit - I had to refresh my memory of her name, during the commercial break... :oops:
OK, there's only 4 years between Barbra and Cher, but it's the difference between being 21 and 17 in 1963...

Andre was adamantly in search of DDs until he tanked one, then he pretty much backed off. He seems the type who would know it'll never be in Potpourri...
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 pm It seems like the question about Disraeli was cumbersome by using the locution "person of Jewish ancestry." Is there some reason they couldn't have referred to him as a Jewish person or a Jew? Is the latter term now regarded as a dirty word?
Presumably stated that way because he converted to Anglicanism as a boy.
davey

Post by davey »

I have a vision of Barbra Streisand sitting in her mansion this evening, clutching her glass of wine, and muttering to herself "Why wasn't it singer-actress-director??..."
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

My too-detailed analysis of my own performance:

When I played the J!6 clues this morning, the categories terrified me. Music, TV, and film categories in the same episode? Yikes. I thought I'd be lucky to hit $25k Coryat, and $20k-ish was more likely. I figured at least FJ would be science or something, right? Right? Nope. More entertainment stuff.

Given how heavy the board was in my weak stuff, I'm pleased with how I did:

Coryat $30800 (4600 of which is from stuff I've studied in the past 2 months)
37 R
2 W
DD 3/3
FJ :(

I clammed on $3800 worth of stuff I knew, but I had a similar amount of good clams, so it's hard for me to say I should have been bolder.

In all, it seems like my gains from studying have been at least partially cancelled out by a small but perceptible shift away from hard geography/science/classical lit towards pop culture and other things I'm not great at. Kinda frustrating, I hope I can stay ahead of it.

I've found the DDs easier this season than last (I'm over 95% on DD1s and 80% on DD 2/3) and this seems to jive with the on-air contestant performance we've seen so far. (Maybe TPTB thought James's big DD wagers were good TV and want to embolden people to follow suit?)

I've found FJs to be harder overall than S35... my get rate is down by about 10%, but it's still early. There has definitely been a higher concentration of FJs where I just flat out didn't know the right fact, as opposed to couldn't solve the riddle. Another area where it's frustrating to be moving in the wrong direction...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

threearruda wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:12 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 pm Anyone else try Dolly Parton?
I did, but knew that was probably incorrect and no other names came to mind.
When the category was announced, I said "If it's not Dolly Parton, I'm out of this one". I thought I'd hit the jackpot but knew 1963 was just a skosh too early. I never thought of Cher but would have made the same DQ. But I was able to pivot to Streisand for the right timing. Then I thought about about Julie Andrews. I went with Barbara because she is the worst and most overrated singer since Tony Bennett. Schmaltz sells, somehow :( .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Jennifer Garner(I know, bad miss.), Reefer Madness, Bivouac, and Filene's.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: God, Splice, (Venice), Bead, Tyne, (1812 Overture), Night on Bald Mountain, Symphonies
Douglas Squasoni
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

We've seen Streisand in FJs at least a few times; surprised that more didn't remember that. People here remember Leadville but not Barbra.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The "actress" part of the FJ! clue, along with the fact that I'd just watched "Hello, Dolly" about 2-3 months ago before seeing it on tour, made a big red circle around Barbra Streisand. I was also reminded of "Funny Lady" and "Funny Woman", both made into musical movies starring Babs.

My precalls were Celine, Britney, and Aretha - I could have listed more, but I was tired when watching it on DVR, and just wanted to prime my brain with a few different eras, knowing I might have to delve deeper. Aretha was priming enough for Barbra's era, and, aside from the Blues Brothers movies, I couldn't think of any other movies Aretha herself was in. In fact, other than the two Blues Brothers movies and a single episode of a sitcom I'd never heard of called Room 222, she hasn't had a role in movies other than herself.

Cher didn't even cross my mind. I don't think the year 1963 would have helped me at all to differentiate between the two if I'd thought of Cher - to me, it was just a matter of who Billboard would rank as "number one". Sales are also a big part of it: Barbra was on tour a few years ago, and ticket prices were ridiculously high. Cher is on (her ninth farewell?) tour right now, and prices were high, but not as bananas as Barbra's. Granted, supply might also have to do with the prices (Cher oversupplies, Barbra undersupplies), but Barbra's songbook seems a little deeper to me, too - deep enough to have 30 albums. Cher only had 20 albums chart in the top 200, and only 5 top 10s - and many albums that are, frankly, not memorable. Barbra tends to do standards, with many of her albums containing standards from either movies, Broadway, or the American Songbook.

Very rough game for the contestants - and rough one for me. My DJ! performance was horrific - earned less Coryat there than in J!. No wonder there were so many Triple Stumpers. A lot of weird clue placement - I thought oenophile was much, much, much tougher than theophile and heliophile. I also got all the comma clues except for the very top row - I just had no idea what the clue was going for. No knowledge of "comma splices"? I'll chalk it up to Bright Light Syndrome.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:42 am The "actress" part of the FJ! clue, along with the fact that I'd just watched "Hello, Dolly" about 2-3 months ago before seeing it on tour, made a big red circle around Barbra Streisand. I was also reminded of "Funny Lady" and "Funny Woman", both made into musical movies starring Babs....
There's a published biography of Fanny Brice called "Funny Woman," but there's no such feature film by that name...I assume you meant "Funny Girl," which came first.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I saw this FJ category and blew raspberries. Anything to do with popular entertainment "icons" is my kryptonite.

When I saw the clue I thought I had a chance. At first put down Cher, then thought maybe she hasn't been around quite that long. About 20 seconds in, Streisand dawned on me and I made the change in time.

On another topic of discussion, I have never heard of any of those terms for the comma (Oxford, splice, whatever). My teachers referred to it by the generic "comma blunder."

Aaaannnnnddddd a $10,000 DD wager on 1812 Overture, which I thought even non-Classical-Music-fan types are familiar with.

Ryan is one-and-done, and I don't think Martha showed much staying power in this game either. We'll see.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21 pmI went with Barbara because she is the worst and most overrated singer since Tony Bennett. Schmaltz sells, somehow :( .
Ok everybody, let's gather around Mr. Grouch and sing "People" to him until he feels better.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

John Boy wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:55 am
On another topic of discussion, I have never heard of any of those terms for the comma (Oxford, splice, whatever). My teachers referred to it by the generic "comma blunder."
It's not a blunder, it's a necessity. Why would you use commas for an entire list except (suddenly and inexplicably) the last one?

Consider the following:

"I am so grateful to my parents, my sister and God."

That sounds like a really messed up family tree. Or how about this one:

"Yesterday for lunch I had a sandwich, chips and mac and cheese."

Like nails on a chalkboard to me....
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:16 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21 pmI went with Barbara because she is the worst and most overrated singer since Tony Bennett. Schmaltz sells, somehow :( .
Ok everybody, let's gather around Mr. Grouch and sing "People" to him until he feels better.
and thus beginneth the worst earworm evah :cry:
well played, penguin :evil:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:16 am
But with Kurt Vonnegut's lyrics ("People who can eat people...")