Tuesday, October 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:09 pm Comment on one of the comma clues:
Spoiler
A serial comma is commonly known as a "Harvard comma" as well as an "Oxford comma"... either should be acceptable, right?
Who gives a
Spoiler
#&@%
?
Last edited by gnash on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

floridagator wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 pm I didn't consider Cher but the other singer that I thought about for a moment was Diana Ross, who also started her recording career about the same time. I don't think she had 30 top 10 albums though, even if you considered her brief career with the Supremes. She has also only done a small number of acting roles, so that she probably would not be referred to as a singer-actress.
My thought process exactly and for lack of anyone better, my reluctant final response.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:16 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21 pmI went with Barbara because she is the worst and most overrated singer since Tony Bennett. Schmaltz sells, somehow :( .
Ok everybody, let's gather around Mr. Grouch and sing "People" to him until he feels better.
Or better yet, have Celine Dion do it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 pm Anyone else try Dolly Parton?
She was me first thought, but I ultimately went with Diana Ross. Never even thought about Barbra.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

gnash wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:27 am
mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:09 pm Comment on one of the comma clues:
Spoiler
A serial comma is commonly known as a "Harvard comma" as well as an "Oxford comma"... either should be acceptable, right?
Who gives a
Spoiler
#&@%
?
Thank you for your constructive comment.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 pm Diana Ross, who also started her recording career about the same time. I don't think she had 30 top 10 albums though, even if you considered her brief career with the Supremes. She has also only done a small number of acting roles, so that she probably would not be referred to as a singer-actress.
She does have a best actress Oscar nom, though, so I think singer-actress would be appropriate.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Upon reading the clue, I immediately thought of Streisand, but then second guessed myself wondering if she'd have that number of Top 10 albums and thought about Cher. After due consideration, though, 1963 led me back to Barbra. Had I been up there writing on the slate, it would have been interesting to see what I ended up with.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:12 am
floridagator wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 pm Diana Ross, who also started her recording career about the same time. I don't think she had 30 top 10 albums though, even if you considered her brief career with the Supremes. She has also only done a small number of acting roles, so that she probably would not be referred to as a singer-actress.
She does have a best actress Oscar nom, though, so I think singer-actress would be appropriate.
And Cher can match Streisand for having won a Best Actress Oscar, so it wasn't crazy to think of Cher as a singer-actress.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Put me down for another FJ response that has Respect, but isn't right. I had to do some poking around on this interweb thingy to find out, but Cher isn't even in the top 50 of the list. (I can only get to 50, since the actual Billboard list is behind a paywall.) At least Aretha is at 19, even if her acting creds aren't that great. In looking at the bit of the list I can see, it appears that it is heavily weighted towards sales. You'd think a top XX list would have performers with a lot of experience - and it does. But the top 10 includes Taylor Swift, Adele, and Miley Cyrus. (Oxford comma time!!! - I've been a user of that since long before I knew it had a name. When a high school English teacher marked me wrong for using it, I found multiple examples of it in the LA Times and managed to convince the teacher it was at least an acceptable option.)
--Peter
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Cher was my first thought but, amazingly for me, felt 30 #1s was simply way too much for her. Few more seconds and focusing more on the actress part, Streisand came up shortly after.

Even a .300 Pop Music score can find an acorn once in a while...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:59 am
John Boy wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:55 am
On another topic of discussion, I have never heard of any of those terms for the comma (Oxford, splice, whatever). My teachers referred to it by the generic "comma blunder."
It's not a blunder, it's a necessity. Why would you use commas for an entire list except (suddenly and inexplicably) the last one?

Consider the following:

"I am so grateful to my parents, my sister and God."

That sounds like a really messed up family tree. Or how about this one:

"Yesterday for lunch I had a sandwich, chips and mac and cheese."

Like nails on a chalkboard to me....
Not to get all religious on everybody, but shouldn't God come first? Put Him first and there's no ambiguity...
As to the 2d - you may not like how it looks - I don't either, for the record - but it's not ambiguous. Seems like overload for lunch tho...
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:39 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:59 am
John Boy wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:55 am
On another topic of discussion, I have never heard of any of those terms for the comma (Oxford, splice, whatever). My teachers referred to it by the generic "comma blunder."
It's not a blunder, it's a necessity. Why would you use commas for an entire list except (suddenly and inexplicably) the last one?

Consider the following:

"I am so grateful to my parents, my sister and God."

That sounds like a really messed up family tree. Or how about this one:

"Yesterday for lunch I had a sandwich, chips and mac and cheese."

Like nails on a chalkboard to me....
Not to get all religious on everybody, but shouldn't God come first? Put Him first and there's no ambiguity...
As to the 2d - you may not like how it looks - I don't either, for the record - but it's not ambiguous. Seems like overload for lunch tho...
Not ambiguous? Were the chips a crushed topping on the mac n cheese? (Not a horrible combination, BTW.) Were they a separate side dish? Is this mystery food a combination of chips and macaroni with some kind of cheese as a separate dish (sounding more on the horrible side)? Are you British, implying that the chips are rectangular bits of fried potato, or are you American, making the chips thinly sliced circular bits of fried potato?

I think there's plenty of ambiguity there.
--Peter
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

While I don't keep track, I felt I did about average (for me) on this game... Much of my comeback to respectability after a very slow start was due to the wheelhouse 5/5 in Classical Music.

Didn't look that way at first... After seeing the names of the categories, then clamming for the first twelve clues... I started thinking, "Do the clue writers really want to hurt me?"

:::::: runs like hell ::::::
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:29 am The Baby Boomer curse strikes again...younger contestants might not realize that Cher couldn't have been hitting the top 10 as early as 1963. And what's up with Ryan's FJ wager?
what does baby boomer have to do with anything? i got it right and i am not a baby boomer
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

streisand came to be immediately...then during the music i was like..."oh what about cher?" then i realised 1963 was too early for her and stayed with streisand
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:47 pm I really liked how Martha wrote her name, but I'm surprised she'd bet more than $5 on that CLASSICAL MUSIC DD given how little she seemed to know about the subject

Cher for me, too, but I was afraid I was overlooking somebody HUGE

Third place bet it all!
still trying to figure out how one misses 1812 overture...pretty sure that is something a jeopardy people should know...hell...i even got it and i don't know crap about classical musical
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:36 pm 56 R (Missed Jennifer Garner(I know, bad miss.), Reefer Madness, Bivouac, and Filene's.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: God, Splice, (Venice), Bead, Tyne, (1812 Overture), Night on Bald Mountain, Symphonies
not as bad of a miss as missing reefer madness
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

harrumph wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:34 am We've seen Streisand in FJs at least a few times; surprised that more didn't remember that. People here remember Leadville but not Barbra.
i am the opposite...never heard of leadville, but got streisand
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21 pmI went with Barbara because she is the worst and most overrated singer since Tony Bennett. Schmaltz sells, somehow :( .
Ok everybody, let's gather around Mr. Grouch and sing "People" to him until he feels better.
that song sux imo...i think her best song is the duet with celine dion "tell him"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:38 am
Or better yet, have Celine Dion do it.
i love celine dion...my 2nd favourite musical act after cannibal corpse