Wednesday, October 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

Nats win! 1 down, 3 to go.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1930s NOVEL CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Prior to a murder in a 1934 book, he says he hasn’t been a detective since 1927 & that his wife inherited a lumber mill

Martha Bordogna: 9800-7000=2800
Allyson Samiljan: 14700-5200=9500 (New Champ)
Nick Rodriguez: 11800-7801=3999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Nick Charles (Martha – Dick Tracy) (Allyson – Who is ?) (Nick – Sam Spade)

Daily Doubles
Martha: 1400+800
Allyson: 9000+2500
Nick: 10600-2000

Coryats
Martha: 9800
Allyson: 13400
Nick: 13800

Combined: 37,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Martha: 2200
Allyson: 7400
Nick: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Allyson would have had 19900 with a correct response in the FJ! round. Nick would have had 19601 with a correct response in the FJ! round. If Allyson would have bet to cover Nick's potential 23600 then she would have fallen to 5799 on the miss. Triple get Allyson wins. Triple miss she won. Traditional wager from the lead Allyson still wins.

It all worked today for Allyson to show the whippersnappers what's up.

The FJ! did not work for me as I matched Nick for my best guess. Having never read or seen anything relevant to the clue or even the genre I was in trouble. At least my first name was not part of it all while Nick will get some extra ribbing about the miss.

A hint that could have helped me would have been a strange detour to an original CNN sportscaster. Too bad the clue was not looking for the author as that could have been a get for a wrong reason.

If the wording would have been changed to end with "wife" that probably would have been enough for me. As written I tried working with "lumber mill" to work in how that location could match Spade's area.

The pieces were there for "detective couple" and yet it got by me. I'm fine with the clue and don't mind old-timey material even though this clue seems like one that may have been better placed in the ToC.

My precalls were all off base with Steinback's Joads, Mitchell's famous characters, and Pearl Buck's famous work.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

The well-to-do wife part of the clue was a giveaway for anyone familiar with 30's detective fiction(or movies), but there were some obvious alternatives for those not so well-versed, kinda like Cher yesterday.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am The well-to-do wife part of the clue was a giveaway for anyone familiar with 30's detective fiction(or movies), but there were some obvious alternatives for those not so well-versed, kinda like Cher yesterday.
As a not-so-well-versed individual, I guessed
Spoiler
Poirot
This season, it has paid to know your 30's detective fiction....
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How in the world did this game have 61 clues? 12 clues had images and half of them had an image switch. The contestants bounced all over the board and were not always snappy about their picks.

Alex gave the minute to go warning in the J! round and it was 1m8s until the last response was given. There were 9 TS clues and 7W counting the missed DD. I did not detect any proper response clipping to save time.

Alex's opening was typical length.

Many prior games this season had clues not played and this game seemed typical of others, yet was completed. Strange though great.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Hard NHOI. I said Spade.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:23 pm How in the world did this game have 61 clues? 12 clues had images and half of them had an image switch. The contestants bounced all over the board and were not always snappy about their picks.

Alex gave the minute to go warning in the J! round and it was 1m8s until the last response was given. There were 9 TS clues and 7W counting the missed DD. I did not detect any proper response clipping to save time.

Alex's opening was typical length.

Many prior games this season had clues not played and this game seemed typical of others, yet was completed. Strange though great.
Good questions. Not for today's game, but I thought about this before.
If this game was played on Friday, maybe we wouldn't have seen all clues? It probably is very dependent on taping dates... what happens between games??
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:08 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am The well-to-do wife part of the clue was a giveaway for anyone familiar with 30's detective fiction(or movies), but there were some obvious alternatives for those not so well-versed, kinda like Cher yesterday.
As a not-so-well-versed individual, I guessed
Spoiler
Poirot
This season, it has paid to know your 30's detective fiction....
I considered and eliminated your response. There was no indication of European character.
Did no good though as I didn't land on right character.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Leander

Post by Leander »

I uneasily went with Spade. Couldn’t match him with a wife or lumbermill, but Nick Charles was too far off my radar screen to come up with. Also think of him as a movie character, not from books.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone notice that Nick kept sighing when he went to the Poetry category?

----

Ran E Before I.

No idea how "rainy region" failed to trigger "rainforest" in my brain. Only miss there.

Despite my retail wheelhouse, can't say I've heard of Harrods. Tried to coinflip Asda/Tesco but clammed.

Also clammed on Nestle because I thought it was too easy relative to KLM, which does not sound familiar to me.

Gregor Mendel is one of those names that always escapes me when I need it, probably because I keep conflating him and Mendeleev.

All but "zomboid" and "Medium" in their categories.

Stupidest miss: Gettysburg Address for Emancipation Proclamation.

Absolutely no guess on FJ! Absolute NHOI on the correct response, and "Nick Charles" site:j-archive.com shows it has never been a correct response before. There are only <10 hits for "The Thin Man" in reference to the book; the rest of the <25 are for the movie. Can they stop Liederkranzing us already?

Lach Trash: rainbow, Lake Superior. Also got the "Let Freedom Ring" DD.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

(deleted)
Last edited by mas3cf on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Pre-called Scarlet O'Hara on FJ, very glad they went with something a little more off the beaten path. As a huge fan of detective fiction this was right up my alley, and since he's a TCM fan I bet Alex enjoyed the clue as well.

Nick looked very familiar to me. Has he been on a game show before?

Halfway through DJ I was worried the three contestants were going to leave The March on Washington category for last, leading to one of those unfortunate photos the internet seems to eat up, but thankfully that didn't happen. I thought Nick's Daily Double wager was too low but then he got it wrong. I'm afraid in his place I might have blurted out "Free at last" before I really thought it through.

Head-scratcher of the day for me was my inability to remember what CDC stood for. Embarrassing.

Did anyone else think Allyson mispronounced Herrod's? Sounded more like "Herrah's" to me.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

jev15 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 pm
Head-scratcher of the day for me was my inability to remember what CDC stood for. Embarrassing.
That one was a landmine anyway; it would have been easy to neg by saying " 'Center' for Disease Control"
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

"The Thin Man" is one of my favorite movies, so this was an instaget. (Although the title of the book and film refers to the murder victim rather than Nick Charles, the other five films in the series all seem to use it to refer to Nick.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Hard FJ on what would be a wheelhouse category for me. Pulled Charles at the last second after eliminating a bunch of detectives without notable spouses. It was as much a movie as a lit question as I think the Thin Man came out in 1934 (and maybe got Powell an Oscar nomination?).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:04 am If the wording would have been changed to end with "wife" that probably would have been enough for me. As written I tried working with "lumber mill" to work in how that location could match Spade's area.
Spade's area is San Francisco. Nick and Nora Charles are in Manhattan. And Philip Marlowe, the Raymond Chandler detective is in Los Angeles, for anyone trying to keep it all straight.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jev15 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 pm Did anyone else think Allyson mispronounced Herrod's? Sounded more like "Herrah's" to me.
Mrs. Penguin and I both thought she very clearly said Harrod, with no s on the end. We backed it up and listened again and still couldn't hear the s. Apparently the judges did, or at least didn't notice that they didn't. Closed caption said Harrod's.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 pm
Spade's area is San Francisco. Nick and Nora Charles are in Manhattan. And Philip Marlowe, the Raymond Chandler detective is in Los Angeles, for anyone trying to keep it all straight.
Thanks for that! That lends itself to a nice mnemonic:

S = Spade, San Francisco
N = Nick and Nora, New York
Philip Marlowe/LA, uhhhmmmm, well... the odd ones out. Philip Marlosangeles? Maybe that's ridiculous enough to actually be memorable.