Wednesday, October 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

These boards were brutal.

A gnomon?? Come on. A zomboid? yeah right.

FJ: Not in a million years!

What should 2nd and 3rd bet in this scenario? A zero bet from either would have won the game
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I got FJ - a much-needed solve for me after my 0 for 2 solve for the week - but it took me most of the 30 seconds. Married rich detecive couple in the 1930s led me to The Thin Man, but then I was like, "What was the guy's name?" Finally Nick Charles's name popped into my head.

Apparently I may have been wrong in assuming that Nora Charles collaborated in the detective work - I had thought of The Thin Man as sort of a proto-Hart to Hart - but I've never read the book or seen the movie.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Made it to Nick Charles at the 35th second... :cry:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:23 pm
Alex's opening was typical length.
Does Alex do those ad libitum or are they scripted?

1930s detective with a wife. Done.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:22 pm "The Thin Man" is one of my favorite movies, so this was an instaget.
Agreed. Even if you're not a fan of the genre, it's well worth watching. Very entertaining movie.

I'd love to have an Asta.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sam Spade and Nick (and Nora) Charles are all Dashiell Hammett characters from the 1930s, so Spade was a pretty good (wrong) guess.

Unfortunately for me about the only thing I know about the Charles' is that their dog is named Asta and I went with Spade. :D
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 pm I got FJ - a much-needed solve for me after my 0 for 2 solve for the week - but it took me most of the 30 seconds. Married rich detecive couple in the 1930s led me to The Thin Man, but then I was like, "What was the guy's name?" Finally Nick Charles's name popped into my head.

Apparently I may have been wrong in assuming that Nora Charles collaborated in the detective work - I had thought of The Thin Man as sort of a proto-Hart to Hart - but I've never read the book or seen the movie.
It's been a while but I believe she was pretty much just a wife in the book. She got more involved in the movies, as did Asta.
I'm smart and I want respect.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

NHO Nick/Nora Charles, The Thin Man, or Dashiell Hammett. I correctly swatted away Sherlock Holmes from the "wife" part, and the 30's part made me doubly confident that it was wrong. The only other old-timey detective I could come up with was Poirot. Right era, but also not married.

I also heard "Harrod" instead of "Harrods". She hit the DD right after, and I was almost sure they were going to claw back the money instantly. I then checked the wiki to make sure it really was "Harrods", and...it is.

I have no idea how I got Kalahari, other than "Desert in Africa + high value clue = probably Kalahari"?

For some reason, when I sang through "My Country Tis of Thee", I stopped at "of thee I sing". So, so bad.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:08 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am The well-to-do wife part of the clue was a giveaway for anyone familiar with 30's detective fiction(or movies), but there were some obvious alternatives for those not so well-versed, kinda like Cher yesterday.
As a not-so-well-versed individual, I guessed
Spoiler
Poirot
This season, it has paid to know your 30's detective fiction....

i went with the same thing you did
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:13 pm
jev15 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 pm
Head-scratcher of the day for me was my inability to remember what CDC stood for. Embarrassing.
That one was a landmine anyway; it would have been easy to neg by saying " 'Center' for Disease Control"
never knew it was centers...was wondering why there wasn't a score correction
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

funny that miller (reggie and cheryl) was a triple stumper...reggie trended last night on twitter because he referred to chicago as a state during the lakers/clippers game
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

still trying to figure out how the civil rights act was a triple stumper
davey

Post by davey »

Another frustrating FJ for me...I ended up with Spade only because I blanked on the name Marlowe, which I thought was more likely. "Hasn't been a detective" threw me...I thought it was suggesting the narrator was telling the story as a flashback, since I was at least subconsciously aware that most of the familiar '30s detectives aren't married at the time the stories take place. i could point out that the early novels of Ellery Queen - not likely to be an FJ, I admit - are supposedly being told years later, after the detective married - but not to an heiress, iirc - and retired...But I managed to overlook the most famous married detective of the '30s...What makes this worse is that the Charleses went through my head during the commercial break - and I actually read The Thin Man within the last couple years, so I should have remembered the lumber mill... :roll: :oops: ...(I do remember that, yes, Nora is a comparatively thin character (ha!) to the gal as Myrna Loy plays her...)
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

The CDC has been officially known as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention since 1992. At the time the name was changed, Congress mandated that the acronym remain the same because people recognized it. The previous name was Centers for Disease Control, and before that Center for Disease Control. It was created in the 1940s under a different name.

Because Centers for Disease Control is a former name, would they have accepted Center for Disease Control, another former name?
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Another rough game... The TOC can't come fast enough at this rate.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeffwolfe wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 am Because Centers for Disease Control is a former name, would they have accepted Center for Disease Control, another former name?
Oooh, good question. If they look at Centers for Disease Control as a shortening of the full name, they might say no. But if they look at both as, as you say, former names, they'd say yes. I lean toward yes myself, but I'd be curious to see an actual ruling. And until then, I won't know how strongly I feel about this. :)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:08 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am The well-to-do wife part of the clue was a giveaway for anyone familiar with 30's detective fiction(or movies), but there were some obvious alternatives for those not so well-versed, kinda like Cher yesterday.
As a not-so-well-versed individual, I guessed
Spoiler
Poirot
Hey! I'm every bit as not-so-well-versed as you! (Poirot also :roll: )
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'll join the "not well read" group for FJ. The category alone would have me wagering zero to minimize the loss. I put down Holmes, hoping someone in the 1930s had revived his character and given him a wife, because I know he's set half a century earlier.
--Peter
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:05 am I'll join the "not well read" group for FJ. The category alone would have me wagering zero to minimize the loss. I put down Holmes, hoping someone in the 1930s had revived his character and given him a wife, because I know he's set half a century earlier.
That did happen, but a a bit later (1994):
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:18 am still trying to figure out how the civil rights act was a triple stumper
especially after the Voting Rights neg!