Thursday, October 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE HISTORY OF FRANCE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This modern regime that lasted 4 years changed the national motto to "Travail, Famille, Patrie"--"Work, Family, Fatherland"

Allyson Samiljan: 12200-4800=7400
Jamie Tyrrell: 17200-7201=9999 (New Champ)
Mushtaq Gunja: 21700-12714=8986

Correct response:
Spoiler
Vichy France (Allyson – What is the ???) (Jamie – Patriarchy) (Mushtaq – Third Regime)

Daily Doubles
Mushtaq: 2400+2000
Mushtaq: 9400-100
Mushtaq: 11300+6000

Coryats
Allyson: 12200
Jamie: 17200
Mushtaq: 15200

Combined: 44,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Allyson: 4600
Jamie: 4000
Mushtaq: 7400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jamie sure liked BEHIND THE MUSICAL TITLE going from 6000 to 11600 in only missing the run because Allyson got in on the $400 clue. That's great for Jamie although one cannot always count on getting such a category in game two.

Mushtaq sure did not like DD2 in Shakespeare going for just the $100. Henry VIII? Yeah, good wager. $6000 was big on DD3 while if Mushtaq had bet even more in it being the 2nd box and being in the (geographical) STAN category providing a hint then he could have been in position to survive the TS FJ! round.

Allyson had her chance at the win as well depending on her wager in the FJ! round. In her position I've seen more and I've seen less. It's a wide open betting position for what each player might do.

The FJ! clue had me not recalling the correct response to have in the mix and instead I was playing guess the Republic which is just as shaky. I went in between the Third (has to be too early and too long) and Fifth (That's still ongoing, right?) and wrote, "4th Republic" to throw myself down to 50% for the week after the promising 100% start on two non-easy clues.

Jamie's bet worked for her to get the win. cheezguyty - Short or long list for players winning a game with $9999? Especially if on day one?
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Welp. That's disappointing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mahatma wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:14 am Welp. That's disappointing.
The FJ! clue going 0/3, the winner's total, the winner herself, the leader not winning? Other?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I wonder what the record is for fewest combined correct contestant responses in a week... we might be on track for that.

Not that I've fared any better, 0/4 so far.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Wow, would've bet serious money that this wouldn't be a triple stumper, especially after "fatherland." But as the great man said, we're all ignorant, just about different subjects.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:20 pm Wow, would've bet serious money that this wouldn't be a triple stumper, especially after "fatherland." But as the great man said, we're all ignorant, just about different subjects.
I nailed down in my head exactly what it was, just couldn't pull the name.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Finally got one this week.
ACW

Post by ACW »

"Fatherland", 4 years...triple stumper? Bah, nobody deserves to return :oops:
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Was that Shakespeare DD tough? After ruling out 8, I wasn't sure which one to go.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:32 am
mahatma wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:14 am Welp. That's disappointing.
The FJ! clue going 0/3, the winner's total, the winner herself, the leader not winning? Other?
Clearly I was unclear. After getting my rear end kicked on FJ! lately, I thought for sure this one would score higher. Hugo’s point is well taken.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:09 pm Was that Shakespeare DD tough? After ruling out 8, I wasn't sure which one to go.
FWIW, that was the only Shakespeare one I didn't get (and I've been batting close to .900 on Shakespeare lately)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Celebrity category, all but Snowplow Parenting in Vehicular, all but Colombia in Aguila.

"Franz Ferdinand" rings no bells for me unless we're talking about the band.

Eiffel Tower is the most baffling TS I've seen in ages. I was 0/5 in that category, with Goddard for Von Braun.

Didn't realize the NYSE had specific offices on Wall Street.

Best WAG of the night: "Troy" somehow subconsciously leading me to "Troilus and Cressida". Hawley-Smoot Rule FTW.

0/5 in Musicals in DJ!, but all but palm in "Gods Inside You".

0/5 in Stan. I could've taken 40 guesses on $400 and never gotten "Russian". Also embarrassed that I whiffed on "jackal" but there are just too many wild dogs that look the same.

This was another garbage clue on a hyper-obscure fact. Why are we getting Liederkranz'd this week?

Lach Trash: Eiffel Tower, wrestler
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm ...
This was another garbage clue on a hyper-obscure fact. Why are we getting Liederkranz'd this week?

The FJ! clues this week seem to be ToC also-rans that did not make the cut for whatever reason. Too something?

After the TOC weekly polls are done it will be interesting to revisit the poll for this week to compare the percentages.

Just because you and three show players miss a FJ! clue does not automatically make it "hyper-obscure."
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:05 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:09 pm Was that Shakespeare DD tough? After ruling out 8, I wasn't sure which one to go.
FWIW, that was the only Shakespeare one I didn't get (and I've been batting close to .900 on Shakespeare lately)
My performance on Shakespeare and Musicals is surprisingly average - even after all these years. Too many negs.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

The Bad, the Ugly, and the Good in this game:

The Bad: I was negging like crazy, 7 in all, including several I felt pretty good about. Woof. In my defense, I feel a cold coming on.

The Ugly: Seriously, folks? A Paris structure "rising" and in the top box, and NO ONE GUESSES THE FREAKING EIFFEL TOWER??? Seriously? Tell me that's not a new low for this show....

The Good: Instaget FJ. On one that stumped this trio. I'll take it. Having a rough FJ week and that only brings me to 2-2.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm Ran the Celebrity category, all but Snowplow Parenting in Vehicular, all but Colombia in Aguila.

"Franz Ferdinand" rings no bells for me unless we're talking about the band.

Eiffel Tower is the most baffling TS I've seen in ages. I was 0/5 in that category, with Goddard for Von Braun.

Didn't realize the NYSE had specific offices on Wall Street.

Best WAG of the night: "Troy" somehow subconsciously leading me to "Troilus and Cressida". Hawley-Smoot Rule FTW.

0/5 in Musicals in DJ!, but all but palm in "Gods Inside You".

0/5 in Stan. I could've taken 40 guesses on $400 and never gotten "Russian". Also embarrassed that I whiffed on "jackal" but there are just too many wild dogs that look the same.

Lach Trash: Eiffel Tower, wrestler
you should probably quit trivia
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:56 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm ...

The FJ! clues this week seem to be ToC also-rans that did not make the cut for whatever reason. Too something?

After the TOC weekly polls are done it will be interesting to revisit the poll for this week to compare the percentages.

Just because you and three show players miss a FJ! clue does not automatically make it "hyper-obscure."
Interesting that you mention it being a possible rejected ToC FJ as the last ToC had the Petain question.

And yeah, Vichy is not remotely obscure unless you know very little about WWII, which makes sense as TPH has made his distaste for all things military history well known in the past. I guess it explains the NHO of Franz Ferdinand too.