Thursday, October 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:06 am Jamie's bet worked for her to get the win. cheezguyty - Short or long list for players winning a game with $9999? Especially if on day one?
This is at least the eleventh time someone has won with $9,999 (six of those were in the player's first game). The only other repeating-digit winning scores I could find are $999, $22,222, and $33,333.
mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:18 pm I wonder what the record is for fewest combined correct contestant responses in a week... we might be on track for that.
The players went 1/15 on FJ during the final week of Season 15. Oddly enough, the only contestant to get one right that week has the same first name as the only contestant to get one right so far this week!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Here's a tip. Write something down for Final Jeopardy. Allyson proved she has the chops to be on the stage, so I just don't understand not showing up for Final. Unless you bet zero, which would have won the game on Wed and Thu.

I had The Commune for FJ. I wasn't sure the 1870s counted as "modern", but I thought the idea of community fit the clue. Clearly, I need to brush up on my French history, because the Commune only lasted 2 months :oops:

Jamie went right to her wheelhouse in DJ and lost control to Mushtaq, who stole her DD. No doubt she would have come up with Henry V

The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Had no idea on the Miss Saigon clue. A sham beauty contest in Vietnam? Makes sense now!

Last time I walked by the theater for Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, I said to myself, make a note, this is bound to come up on Jeopardy!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:09 pm Was that Shakespeare DD tough? After ruling out 8, I wasn't sure which one to go.
I got it, but I've seen Henry V multiple times. I would say that it's probably a fairly difficult clue for people who aren't very familiar with the play and may have a hard time choosing from among the various Shakespeare histories involving King Henrys. I'm not sure how you ruled out Henry VIII, although it's true that that play starts with the titular Henry already married to Katharine of Aragon (that's how her name is spelled in that play).

Poll request for that DD!

Instaget FJ here, due to "Fatherland." I don't see this one as necessarily belonging in a TOC rather than a regular play game, even though it won't match the 3 FJ's last week that polled over 80% on this board.
morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 pm Jamie went right to her wheelhouse in DJ and lost control to Mushtaq, who stole her DD. No doubt she would have come up with Henry V
Credit to Mushtaq for realizing what Jamie was doing there and apparently looking for the DD in that column to keep it away from her. He was helped by the fact that the $2,000 clue was a bit overvalued (Troilus & Cressida, spotted Troy?) to the point that Mushtaq knew it despite (as his DD wager showed) being not at all confident in his knowledge of the Bard's works. That $2,000 Shakespeare clue was certainly easier than the DD that was placed a row above it. If Jamie wanted to hunt for the DD in that category (or keep it from being stolen from her if it was in that column), she probably should have started at the $1,600 or $1,200 level. The Jamesian strategy of starting at the bottom of the board doesn't necessarily work if you're not dominant on the buzzer; and the stats on TJF show that Jamie wasn't. Even a $2,000 clue can be a buzzer battle; you never know if a wheelhouse category for you is also one for at least one of your opponents, or if the clue placed at that level will be fairly easy.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Allyson had her chance at the win as well depending on her wager in the FJ! round. In her position I've seen more and I've seen less. It's a wide open betting position for what each player might do.
She wagered too much to win on a TS, yet didn't even bet enough to cover a zero wager from 2nd place. :?
After I tabulated my would be wagers for each player, I was certain Allyson would not be betting less than 2201. Not that her game one FJ wager had any influence on my prediction. In the end, today's wager basically confirmed the previous one was random.

I wasn't rooting for Jamie but since she knew enough to make an intelligent wager from 2nd, she deserved her victory.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I would have been surprised that this was a triple stumper, but you could see it all over their faces.

Fatherland? Work? 4 years? Done. The only way they could have made it easier would have been to mention swine traitors.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:09 pm Was that Shakespeare DD tough? After ruling out 8, I wasn't sure which one to go.
Why did you rule out 8? He's the only one I knew had a wife named Katherine. I figured that was the TOM so that's what I went with.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:42 pm
Why did you rule out 8? He's the only one I knew had a wife named Katherine. I figured that was the TOM so that's what I went with.
I thought all were Catherines, not K. Hbomb shot that one down...so that would have been a costly DD neg.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:36 pm
Fatherland? Work? 4 years? Done. The only way they could have made it easier would have been to mention swine traitors.
They also could have given cold, white soup TOM.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:50 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:20 pm Wow, would've bet serious money that this wouldn't be a triple stumper, especially after "fatherland." But as the great man said, we're all ignorant, just about different subjects.
I nailed down in my head exactly what it was, just couldn't pull the name.
Same here. I know this cold, but I have to remember the cold soup (vichyssoise) first. Just couldn't get in the right syllable/sound family. I thought it would go 2 for 3, but to be fair, it is a pretty forgettable historical fact. I didn't see any body language that the contestants ever heard of it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
clprez

Post by clprez »

ACW wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:50 pm "Fatherland", 4 years...triple stumper? Bah, nobody deserves to return :oops:
Additionally, the original wording was in french.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm
This was another garbage clue on a hyper-obscure fact. Why are we getting Liederkranz'd this week?
Please, stop assuming that anything you don't know is an obscure fact. It simply isn't true. Why not just look at it as an opportunity to learn something new to you instead of complaining about it?
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

This was another garbage clue on a hyper-obscure fact. Why are we getting Liederkranz'd this week?
Hardly. One of the easier FJs on the year. Triple stumper was certainly surprising, but Vichy France is in no way obscure.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jev15 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:55 pm Please, stop assuming that anything you don't know is an obscure fact. It simply isn't true. Why not just look at it as an opportunity to learn something new to you instead of complaining about it?
Three contestants onstage didn't know it, nor did they act like they knew it. And a lot of people here are claiming a miss too. So it's clear that this one was a misfire by the writers, at the very least.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mungar wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:02 am

Hardly. One of the easier FJs on the year. Triple stumper was certainly surprising, but Vichy France is in no way obscure.
i didn't get it...have heard of vichy, but pretty much don't know anything to what it is connected...wouldn't say obscure by any means and this is coming from someone who didn't come up with it...ten pound hammer just might be the worst trivia player ever that claims to be a trivia enthusiast
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:24 am
jev15 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:55 pm Please, stop assuming that anything you don't know is an obscure fact. It simply isn't true. Why not just look at it as an opportunity to learn something new to you instead of complaining about it?
Three contestants onstage didn't know it, nor did they act like they knew it. And a lot of people here are claiming a miss too. So it's clear that this one was a misfire by the writers, at the very least.
Vichy has come up at least 13 times since 2000, either in the body of the clue or as a response, in connection with the fact that it was the seat of the French government for most of WWII. (I didn't count non-WWII mentions or references to the soup.) It's not obscure at all to anyone familiar with WWII, which is a pretty normal area for Jeopardy to focus on. If this were a one-time thing with you I wouldn't have commented but you do this all the time. It's like you feel entitled to get Final Jeopardy right every day. Accept that there are things you don't know which are nonetheless entirely valid fodder for a quiz show.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A few reminders:

1. This forum has an "ignore list" feature. Users on your personal ignore list will have their posts hidden to you, except for a thin banner that will allow you to display them on an individual basis. To add a user to your ignore list, click on your username in the upper-right of the screen, select User Control Panel, choose the "Friends & Foes" tab, click on "Manage foes" on the left, add a user name to be ignored to the "Your foes" list (i.e., in the upper box), and click the submit button.

1a. It is much friendlier to ignore someone than to insult them here. Fair warning, insulting other members risks your status here.

1b. With respect to those other members who have chosen to ignore someone, you do no favors to those other members when you quote and reply to the ignored someone.

2. Following from that thought, as an accommodation of sorts, there is a special thread for replying to one member in particular. Please use that thread rather than replying in a daily thread. Thanks.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

"Franz Ferdinand" rings no bells for me unless we're talking about the band.

I thought of you when that clue came up and remembered this exchange from May 2015:
floridagator wrote: Wed May 27, 2015 11:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Franz Ferdinand.
Yes, you have. You absolutely have. There's a clue about him every 20 games.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The "modern" bit certainly helped me. Not sure I would have gotten it otherwise, but that made it pretty obvious. I'd be quite surprised if this one polls below 50%.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

French history is something I know little about. So my miss today wasn't a surprise. I didn't even know how to parse out the clue. Alex's post-music hint was little help to me. But once revealed, I can now make a connection between the term and at least a general idea of when it was and what it represents. The trick is to remember it down the road.

I at least got to Henry on the DD, although I picked #3. Not sure if that's even a Shakespeare play.

FJ wagering. Learning to wager properly can make a difference. Particularly from 3rd place, where your main chance of a win is with the other 2 players missing.

Here's hoping for an easier FJ on Friday, so I can avoid the box of shame.
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:52 am
"Franz Ferdinand" rings no bells for me unless we're talking about the band.

I thought of you when that clue came up and remembered this exchange from May 2015:
floridagator wrote: Wed May 27, 2015 11:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Franz Ferdinand.
Yes, you have. You absolutely have. There's a clue about him every 20 games.
So why does that name of all names repeatedly fail to trigger my Hawley-Smoot filter? Same reason it took me forever to remember "Mark Zuckerberg", which seems equally Hawley-Smoot-ish?