The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 pm viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4571&p=274305&hilit=viola#p274305 Keep trying.
How to Get Away With Clamming
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

If you see "fourth voyage" in the top box of EXPLORERS then go with Christopher Columbus. That's it. It's that simple.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 pm If you see "fourth voyage" in the top box of EXPLORERS then go with Christopher Columbus. That's it. It's that simple.
I always thought he was a one-hit wonder.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

You asked. :D Franklin Pierce has not been used since....October 3rd. This Year. This season. This Month.

#8064, aired 2019-10-03 AUTHORS: BORN & DIED $1600: His story began in Salem, Mass. in 1804 & ended 60 years later during a trip to New Hampshire with Franklin Pierce
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:53 pm You asked. :D Franklin Pierce has not been used since....October 3rd. This Year. This season. This Month.

#8064, aired 2019-10-03 AUTHORS: BORN & DIED $1600: His story began in Salem, Mass. in 1804 & ended 60 years later during a trip to New Hampshire with Franklin Pierce
In fairness, Pierce isn't the big "clue" there, is it? It's Salem, right? I'd NHO the Pierce/Hawthorne road trip story until then, but I tend to be weak with author bios.

Omitting a "Benjamin - - Brosnan" wordplay clue where you have to fill in the blank that has nothing to do with the actual person, the last real meaty Pierce clue was:

#7755, aired 2018-05-04 PRESIDENTS' ONE-SYLLABLE LAST NAMES $1600: The son of a governor of New Hampshire, he was known as Young Hickory
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:53 pm You asked. :D Franklin Pierce has not been used since....October 3rd. This Year. This season. This Month.

In fairness, Pierce isn't the big "clue" there, is it? It's Salem, right? I'd NHO the Pierce/Hawthorne road trip story until then, but I tend to be weak with author bios.

Omitting a "Benjamin - - Brosnan" wordplay clue where you have to fill in the blank that has nothing to do with the actual person, the last real meaty Pierce clue was:

#7755, aired 2018-05-04 PRESIDENTS' ONE-SYLLABLE LAST NAMES $1600: The son of a governor of New Hampshire, he was known as Young Hickory
Pierce and Hawthorne being besties is A Thing That Comes Up for sure. Hawthorne even wrote Pierce’s campaign biography, creatively titled Life of Franklin Pierce. While Salem is definitely bigger as a clue, Pierce isn’t a throwaway by any means.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I guess fourth time was not the charm:

#8019, aired 2019-06-20 ACTORS BY ROLE $2000: Scene-stealing friend Peik Lin Goh in "Crazy Rich Asians"
#8001, aired 2019-05-27 ACTRESSES $1200: Constance Wu, Jessica on "Fresh Off the Boat", hit the big screen in this 2018 rom-com
#7962, aired 2019-04-02 BESTSELLERS $400: "China Rich Girlfriend" & "Rich People Problems" are follow-ups to this bestseller by Kevin Kwan

Any movie #1 at the box office three weeks in a row is fair game for the FJ! round.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Having J! on now at the proper airing time I noticed Johnny's hands were shown applauding as the show went into the first break.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:41 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:52 pm
That was a Kid’s Week level final jeopardy
so you are saying tenpoundhammer would not do well on a kids week episode?
Isn’t there a separate thread for that?
yeah you are right, but this is easier..i am lazy..now if they had an option to quote and send it to another thread, then i would do that, but they don't, so i just do the quotes in the given thread
It's called copy and paste.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 am Also I see literally zero reason to retain this film for future reference. The director has zero Archive hits, and doesn't seem to have worked on anything else noteworthy. The actors seem like they're Z-tier at best.
That's fine; that's your choice. Just don't moan and groan about missing it the next time (which, unfortunately, is virtually guaranteed).
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:20 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 am Also I see literally zero reason to retain this film for future reference. The director has zero Archive hits, and doesn't seem to have worked on anything else noteworthy. The actors seem like they're Z-tier at best.
That's fine; that's your choice. Just don't moan and groan about missing it the next time (which, unfortunately, is virtually guaranteed).
Henry Golding, the male protagonist in "Crazy Rich Asians", was also in "A Simple Favor". That movie, while not a blockbuster, was based on a book, which J! seems to like.

He's also in "Last Christmas", whose preview I hate, because...
Spoiler
...it's so obvious to me that his character is dead/invisible/an angel/a figment of the imagination, like a rom-com version of "The Sixth Sense".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This may be one of the oddest posts I've made here, and that's saying something.

Believe it or not, I have never in my life sat through an entire episode of an anime before. A friend of mine suggested that I watch My Hero Academia. For those unfamiliar, it's about a boy named Izuku Midoriya, who does not have naturally occurring superpowers in a world where most people do. But he wants to be a hero anyway, so through the help of a superhero named All Might, he ends up gaining a power and enlisting in a superhero school.

I haven't gotten far into the show yet, but right now, I feel like I'm Izuku Midoriya, Josh Hill is All Might, and the Jeopardy! stage is the school.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:00 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:20 am
Henry Golding, the male protagonist in "Crazy Rich Asians", was also in "A Simple Favor". That movie, while not a blockbuster, was based on a book, which J! seems to like.

He's also in "Last Christmas", whose preview I hate, because...
Spoiler
...it's so obvious to me that his character is dead/invisible/an angel/a figment of the imagination, like a rom-com version of "The Sixth Sense".
It's so obvious it's already become...a meme? ...a trope?
Spoiler
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:52 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm
"Franz Ferdinand" rings no bells for me unless we're talking about the band.

I thought of you when that clue came up and remembered this exchange from May 2015:
floridagator wrote: Wed May 27, 2015 11:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Franz Ferdinand.
Yes, you have. You absolutely have. There's a clue about him every 20 games.
So why does that name of all names repeatedly fail to trigger my Hawley-Smoot filter? Same reason it took me forever to remember "Mark Zuckerberg", which seems equally Hawley-Smoot-ish?
You already have the name "Franz Ferdinand" in your memory banks as the name of the band; just attach to them the archduke of Austria, whose assassination ("Take Me Out"!) is commonly held to have precipitated the first World War.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:42 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:20 am FJ was definitely a WECIB?
Yes, because "women's suffrage" is literally the only phrase in the English language that begins with "women's".
When spotted UK, yes, it is, in fact, literally the only phrase. Go rewatch Mary Poppins.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:57 am
Yes, because "women's suffrage" is literally the only phrase in the English language that begins with "women's".
When spotted UK, yes, it is, in fact, literally the only phrase. Go rewatch Mary Poppins.
On the surface the TOMs may have seemed subtle, but they're there. A statue in Parliament Square. A woman with a name that sounds like it may be from the Victorian era. The importance of women's suffrage in that era in the UK...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:00 pm A woman with a name that sounds like it may be from the Victorian era.
Oh, don't ever use the phrase "sounds like" with TPH; he'll hit you so hard with the word "subjective."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:57 am
With UK and the year, TPH may be correct in his assertion about "only phrase." In the US a few decades later, not so much -- "women's lib" would be the go-to.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I've changed my mind about wanting to see TBH on the show. Anybody who complains about Franz Ferdinand being too obscure doesn't need to be taking up another contestant's spot.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:40 pm I've changed my mind about wanting to see TBH on the show. Anybody who complains about Franz Ferdinand being too obscure doesn't need to be taking up another contestant's spot.
totally agree...i lack a lot of jeopardy basics, but franz ferdinand is pretty much remedial material when it comes to trivia..pavlov for start of world war 1