Thursday, October 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:45 am
1b. With respect to those other members who have chosen to ignore someone, you do no favors to those other members when you quote and reply to the ignored someone.
True that, but I don't think 3rd party boardies should have to keep score or take sides. :roll: I usually quote a post if one is available that augments my own comment and provides context in lieu of making a new post. I certainly don't want to remove the attribution for the sake of somebody's food fight. I will always remove troll posts in the thread, and mostly trim down threads to the points of topical interest for my post.

FWIW, as long as the board software can't provide complete immunity from other boardies, then putting someone on "ignore" is just an exercise in catharsis. I'm reminded of the old politically incorrect joke about arguing with someone on the internet -
Spoiler
(sorry, I can't go through with it)

Thanks for the quixotic effort, RKS. Good luck with the windmill.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:45 am 2. Following from that thought, as an accommodation of sorts, there is a special thread for replying to one member in particular. Please use that thread rather than replying in a daily thread. Thanks.
THIS!
billiej

Post by billiej »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 pm Clearly, I need to brush up on my French history,
Me, too. I've heard of Vichy, but didn't know it as a "regime". That's on me. :(
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

A propos de Henry V:

Happy St. Crispin's Day!

And this:
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:36 pm I would have been surprised that this was a triple stumper, but you could see it all over their faces.

Fatherland? Work? 4 years? Done. The only way they could have made it easier would have been to mention swine traitors.
I suppose it's POSSIBLE that one or more figured out that this referred to occupied France during WWII but just never heard the term Vichy. Still....
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Eiffel Tower, Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Wrestler, (Henry V), Jackal, Zumba
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:45 am 1b. With respect to those other members who have chosen to ignore someone, you do no favors to those other members when you quote and reply to the ignored someone.
You're saying that before we quote someone here we should ponder whether that person might be on someone else's ignore list? Am I the only one who finds this a little ridiculous?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The ponderation involved here is pretty minimal.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:22 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:45 am 1b. With respect to those other members who have chosen to ignore someone, you do no favors to those other members when you quote and reply to the ignored someone.
You're saying that before we quote someone here we should ponder whether that person might be on someone else's ignore list? Am I the only one who finds this a little ridiculous?
There's no way to know who had ignored whom, so my pondering time would be exactly zero seconds.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:22 pm
you aren't the only one...sounds dumb to me as well
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

John Boy wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:16 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:36 pm I would have been surprised that this was a triple stumper, but you could see it all over their faces.

Fatherland? Work? 4 years? Done. The only way they could have made it easier would have been to mention swine traitors.
I suppose it's POSSIBLE that one or more figured out that this referred to occupied France during WWII but just never heard the term Vichy. Still....
Perhaps minds work in different manners. Never heard the motto and passed over the four years hint, but saw three French words including "Fatherland" and immediately leapt to France + Nazis. I can see how that connection would be easy to miss, though -- if it doesn't pop immediately, it may not respond to extended thought.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,400
49 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Peter Bruegel, pro wrestler, Henry V (DD), Zumba

Brilliantly written FJ! "'Modern' French regime" + "Fatherland," with "four years" thrown in for good measure. Winner winner potato soup dinner!

Like Mushtaq, I would have wagered something near the minimum on the Shakespeare DD. Unlike him, I (incorrectly, apparently) eliminated Henry VIII because of the spelling of Katherine. A get's a get, I guess, but I didn't deserve that one.

Mushtaq's behavior with respect to DD3 confused me, though. He is confident enough to wager 6000 in a category about the -stans, then struggles to come up with Caspian Sea when spotted "large inland body of water"? The heck?

Allyson's wager. Yeesh.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:24 am Like Mushtaq, I would have wagered something near the minimum on the Shakespeare DD. Unlike him, I (incorrectly, apparently) eliminated Henry VIII because of the spelling of Katherine. A get's a get, I guess, but I didn't deserve that one.
Yeah, I dismissed the spelling difference as irrelevant because spelling was not at all standardized in Shakespeare's time. (The squiggly red line had yet to be invented, let alone the right mouse button.) He didn't even spell his own name consistently, and in the surviving signatures never spelled it the way we do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_ ... e%27s_name
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

For FJ!, WWII comes right in my personal "uncanny valley" of historical knowledge. It's the part of history that's old enough that it should have been covered in my history class, but new enough that it was crammed in at the end. But it's also too far removed for me to experience it, either personally as a child (late 70s, 80s for me), or with fairly recent cultural mentions in media (50s, 60s). I was on the right track. In the spirit of writing the best guess I could have, even if it sounds completely stupid and has 0% chance of being right, I got to "What is Germany?". Obviously I knew it was wrong, but I was surprised at how close I got. With "modern France" and a relatively short period of time for the regime, the timeline got narrowed to WWII for me, but from that point, for me it was EYKIOYD, and I didn't know it.

Anyone else say "lit" for "illuminated by tapers" in the -IT category? Knew a taper had to do with candles, although if I'm 100% honest I mistook it for "wick" in the moment. Not sure if that would be a BMS or just ruled wrong - I knew it was way too easy an answer for a $2000 clue, and seeing the way they created the clue, if they wanted "lit", they would have just said "illuminated".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:12 pm For FJ!, WWII comes right in my personal "uncanny valley" of historical knowledge.
I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:26 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:12 pm For FJ!, WWII comes right in my personal "uncanny valley" of historical knowledge.
I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.
I was using it as an analogy - yes, I know "uncanny valley" means that robots that look/act "too human" are generally perceived as creepy, while ones that are a little more identifiable as robots - as well as humans themselves, who generally are perceived as 100% human - are perceived well.

The idea being that my historical knowledge should, theoretically, fade somewhat - I lived through the 80s, so I should know that well, and the 1950s less, and the 1920s less, etc. But there's always that gap in history education - stuff that's a little too recent to be put in historical context, so it's not covered extensively in history textbooks, but is a little too far back to be picked up by cultural osmosis.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

IIRC, Henry V was the main king during the Wars of the Roses plays, with Henry VI being little more than a sock puppet.
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:09 pm IIRC, Henry V was the main king during the Wars of the Roses plays, with Henry VI being little more than a sock puppet.
Henry V was dead decades before the Wars of the Roses began.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I am very confused and frankly, concerned about the above post from a moderating capacity. I have no way of knowing who has or hasn't ignored anybody (and don't really care), so taking that to its logical conclusion, we should not use the reply feature at all just in case somebody else has the original poster on ignore.