FJs for the 10/21/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/21/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:50 pm

Named for the ore once mined there, this city at an altitude of 10,152 feet is home to the National Mining Hall of Fame & Museum
28%
With more than 30 Top 10 albums since 1963, this singer-actress ranks No. 1 among the Billboard 200's Greatest Women Artists of All Time
58%
Prior to a murder in a 1934 book, he says he hasn't been a detective since 1927 & that his wife inherited a lumber mill
22%
This modern regime that lasted 4 years changed the national motto to "Travail, Famille, Patrie"--"Work, Family, Fatherland"
67%
In 2018 Parliament Square got its first statue of a woman, Millicent Fawcett, a founding member of the London Society for Women's this  
91%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
5%
THE GENDER-FREE OPTION $600: You can use this 6-letter term rather than Latina or Latino
68%
GOVERNMENT ABCs $800: It was established in 1934, 5 years after the big stock market crash: SEC
93%
SHAKE HANDS WITH SHAKESPEARE $1600 box DD: "Take me by the hand, and say 'Harry of England, I am thine'" is how this title king proposes to Katherine
37%
I guessed the wrong place in Colorado for the Monday FJ! clue.
37%
Cher was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
14%
Aretha Franklin was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
Sam Spade was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
30%
At least one of Leadville, Nick Charles or Vichy was a name unfamiliar to me prior to them showing up in the relevant FJ! round.
47%
(Requested) I have attended a NFL Pro Bowl game in person.
1%

Total votes: 116

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 10/21/19 week

Post by Golf »

I have attended a Pro Bowl in Hawaii. Won a trip for two including four nights hotel and airfare playing a NTN/Buzztime game, they put us up at a great beachfront hotel. From the concourse of the stadium you could easily see the ocean. The game wasn't that bad, it's football. Although it does suck to watch on TV.

Admittedly though, we did try to skip the game in lieu of the beach. The organizers put the kibosh on that plan. And this was just after 9/11, so security was crazy. No bags allowed in at all including purses.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monday: Silver Springs (although I have heard of Leadville, through the annual Leadville 100 bike race)
Tuesday: Dolly Parton
Wednesday: Poirot, though I knew it was probably wrong
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

True North wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:50 am Monday: Silver Springs (although I have heard of Leadville, through the annual Leadville 100 bike race)
Do you mean the city in Maryland? If so, it is Silver Spring (singular), and besides, it's at sea level (or close to it).
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Note to self: Singular = city in Maryland; plural = Fleetwood Mac.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

alietr wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:20 pm
True North wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:50 am Monday: Silver Springs (although I have heard of Leadville, through the annual Leadville 100 bike race)
Do you mean the city in Maryland? If so, it is Silver Spring (singular), and besides, it's at sea level (or close to it).
No, there actually is a Silver Springs, CO. It’s near Boulder. Looking at it, it’s not nearly significant enough to have been correct, but that’s what popped into my head.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

First consecutive five-for-five weeks in over a year. Probably means I'll blow it on Monday. Growing up in Colorado made one the of the tougher FJs pretty straightforward.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:44 am
Wednesday, was also undone by personal distaste - hate hate hate The Thin Man, it’s Hammett’s worst book by orders of magnitude; knew 100% the answer wasn’t Sam Spade but that’s what I put down just to have something.
I thought The Dain Curse was pretty comfortably his worst. The edition I read it in had a pretty bad spoiler on the inside cover which I actually avoided but even so.
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

With 75 responses, Leadville is polling at 35%. I hereby withdraw my objection and will try to remember this factoid. (Well, I would have done that second bit in any event.) Setting aside quibbles over ore vs. metal, I'd say the clue is fair and well-constructed.

Streisand occurred to me pretty quickly on Tuesday and I was pretty sure it was right. I forced myself to keep thinking and did come up with Cher, which didn't seem as good a fit. I can see thinking of Cher first and feeling happy with that. But I'm surprised so many boardies said they thought of both possibilities and went with Cher.

Nick Charles is polling at 25%, so even tougher than Leadville but still, I think, fair. I'm not the best judge of that, though, since I know my Hammett and Chandler (and Doyle, for that matter). This area seems to be a common lacuna in contestant knowledge. I'll say again that it's worth rectifying the omission if you don't know these gentlemen and their works. Hammett's The Maltese Falcon is an absolute classic--perhaps the best detective fiction novel ever written. And if you know the San Francisco area, it can be fun on that level too as you follow Spade up and down those mean streets. The Thin Man is an extremely enjoyable read as well. And in both cases, the film versions are outstanding, with Falcon in particular being one of the best films ever made.

Chandler didn't fare as well on film. (Really, the best representation of his work is Double Indemnity which he helped script based on a novel by James M. Cain. Fantastic flick.) The Big Sleep is a pretty good movie and a very good novel. The other must-read Chandler/Marlowe novel is The Long Goodbye. But if you end up watching and liking the film version with Elliott Gould, it will be for entirely unrelated reasons. Farewell, My Lovely is also great but less helpful to a Jeopardy! contestant. Its film versions aren't particularly distinguished either, though the one with Robert Mitchum at least did a good job casting the lead. The ideal Philip Marlowe, though, would have been Harrison Ford in the 1980s. He looked like the man Chandler described. And he had an unmatched ability to play a man who was cynical and world-weary without having given up on the idea that there was a right thing to do and he intended to do it. Bogie always gave the impression that he might be corruptible, given the right inducement. This made him great for Spade but less ideal (though still quite good) for Marlowe. Harrison Ford would have been better able to portray the man Chandler described when he said, "Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid.... He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor, by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world." It's a pity no one ever tried to make a Marlowe pic with Ford as the lead. I'd gladly move to a universe with no Indiana Jones sequels in order to see that. Oh well. At least there's Blade Runner.

As for Arthur Conan Doyle, just pick up The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and read the first story or two. If you don't like them, you're hopeless and will just have to learn these bits of trivia the hard way. But I think you'll like them.

Vichy took a while to get to, for some reason. But every aspect of the clue led there, so I don't think I was going to miss it.

And of course suffrage was the immediately obvious guess on Friday. I couldn't think of a second guess that was remotely as good. The 93% get rate should (but won't) satisfy the poster who requested a citation for the claim that the clue had a big red arrow pointing to this response.

I've seen Latinx before but assumed it was a product for keeping Romans off my windshield. :D SEC was the obvious guess. I fell for the Henry VIII neg. Note that I'm not claiming it was negBAIT, just that it was a plausible guess for someone who didn't have quite the necessary info. Though I've seen the Branagh version of Henry V, I did not remember that Emma Thompson's character was named Katherine. I figured her name would've been much more Frenchy and that steered me away from V and toward VIII.

I was actually just curious how many boardies actually WATCH the Pro Bowl, not whether anyone's actually been in person. Still, it's interesting to discover that one of us has.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 am :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

With 75 responses, Leadville is polling at 35%. I hereby withdraw my objection and will try to remember this factoid. (Well, I would have done that second bit in any event.) Setting aside quibbles over ore vs. metal, I'd say the clue is fair and well-constructed.

Streisand occurred to me pretty quickly on Tuesday and I was pretty sure it was right. I forced myself to keep thinking and did come up with Cher, which didn't seem as good a fit. I can see thinking of Cher first and feeling happy with that. But I'm surprised so many boardies said they thought of both possibilities and went with Cher.

Nick Charles is polling at 25%, so even tougher than Leadville but still, I think, fair. I'm not the best judge of that, though, since I know my Hammett and Chandler (and Doyle, for that matter). This area seems to be a common lacuna in contestant knowledge. I'll say again that it's worth rectifying the omission if you don't know these gentlemen and their works. Hammett's The Maltese Falcon is an absolute classic--perhaps the best detective fiction novel ever written. And if you know the San Francisco area, it can be fun on that level too as you follow Spade up and down those mean streets. The Thin Man is an extremely enjoyable read as well. And in both cases, the film versions are outstanding, with Falcon in particular being one of the best films ever made.

Chandler didn't fare as well on film. (Really, the best representation of his work is Double Indemnity which he helped script based on a novel by James M. Cain. Fantastic flick.) The Big Sleep is a pretty good movie and a very good novel. The other must-read Chandler/Marlowe novel is The Long Goodbye. But if you end up watching and liking the film version with Elliott Gould, it will be for entirely unrelated reasons. Farewell, My Lovely is also great but less helpful to a Jeopardy! contestant. Its film versions aren't particularly distinguished either, though the one with Robert Mitchum at least did a good job casting the lead. The ideal Philip Marlowe, though, would have been Harrison Ford in the 1980s. He looked like the man Chandler described. And he had an unmatched ability to play a man who was cynical and world-weary without having given up on the idea that there was a right thing to do and he intended to do it. Bogie always gave the impression that he might be corruptible, given the right inducement. This made him great for Spade but less ideal (though still quite good) for Marlowe. Harrison Ford would have been better able to portray the man Chandler described when he said, "Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid.... He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor, by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world." It's a pity no one ever tried to make a Marlowe pic with Ford as the lead. I'd gladly move to a universe with no Indiana Jones sequels in order to see that. Oh well. At least there's Blade Runner.

As for Arthur Conan Doyle, just pick up The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and read the first story or two. If you don't like them, you're hopeless and will just have to learn these bits of trivia the hard way. But I think you'll like them.

Vichy took a while to get to, for some reason. But every aspect of the clue led there, so I don't think I was going to miss it.

And of course suffrage was the immediately obvious guess on Friday. I couldn't think of a second guess that was remotely as good. The 93% get rate should (but won't) satisfy the poster who requested a citation for the claim that the clue had a big red arrow pointing to this response.

I've seen Latinx before but assumed it was a product for keeping Romans off my windshield. :D SEC was the obvious guess. I fell for the Henry VIII neg. Note that I'm not claiming it was negBAIT, just that it was a plausible guess for someone who didn't have quite the necessary info. Though I've seen the Branagh version of Henry V, I did not remember that Emma Thompson's character was named Katherine. I figured her name would've been much more Frenchy and that steered me away from V and toward VIII.

I was actually just curious how many boardies actually WATCH the Pro Bowl, not whether anyone's actually been in person. Still, it's interesting to discover that one of us has.
i agree...especially since most of them were held in hawaii...would have to be in hawaii at that specific time to be able to attend...would imagine it is rare that anyone really plans their vacation around the pro bowl...watching on tv would have been a good poll question, since already knew attending a pro bowl was going to poll pretty low
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 am The other must-read Chandler/Marlowe novel is The Long Goodbye. But if you end up watching and liking the film version with Elliott Gould, it will be for entirely unrelated reasons.
We just watched that a week or two ago ... it was definitely not what I expected, and was one weird movie. I was surprised it got as high a rating as it did. I can't say that it was my idea of how a noir film should be. Nor my cup of tea.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Rough week, but it's reassuring that I'm not the only one - Golden, Cher, Marlowe, and couldn't remember the name for Vichy

Has anyone ever done a meta-analysis of these poll results? It would be interesting to see if the FJs have a tendency to get more difficult as the ToC approaches.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never heard of Leadville. Nick Charles was hard but gettable; he just didn't pop into my head although I've seen The Thin Man within the last couple of years. The rest were instagets.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

xabe wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:22 am
Has anyone ever done a meta-analysis of these poll results? It would be interesting to see if the FJs have a tendency to get more difficult as the ToC approaches.
The evidence doesn't support that statement for this season. I mean, as of the time of this writing, 3 of this week's are polling at 63% or higher, including one at 93%; and last week, 3 polled at 81% or better and the lowest was 41%. I can also think of no reason why the writers would want to make the FJ's tougher during the run-up to a TOC.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 am I've seen Latinx before but assumed it was a product for keeping Romans off my windshield.
I'm presuming it's supposed to be pronounced "Latin-x" but I'm sort of a fan of "la-tinks."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:48 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 am I've seen Latinx before but assumed it was a product for keeping Romans off my windshield.
I'm presuming it's supposed to be pronounced "Latin-x" but I'm sort of a fan of "la-tinks."
I don't think I'd ever heard pronounced before, so I always read it to myself as "lat-inks".
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

xabe wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:22 am Has anyone ever done a meta-analysis of these poll results?
Your read on the room may vary, of course, but I think a better question might be 'Has anyone on this board updated their meta-analysis of the poll results since breakfast?'
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:08 pm
I don't think I'd ever heard pronounced before, so I always read it to myself as "lat-inks".
Merriam-Webster says \luh-TEE-neks\.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ory-latinx
I suppose this makes sense.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:20 pm
That's how I always assumed it was pronounced - luh-TEE-noh, luh-TEE-nah, luh-TEE-neks for Latino, Latina, and Latinx, respectively. Pronouncing Latinx like Space-X (Elon Musk's company) doesn't make as much sense to me, although I can see how someone could read it that way if they'd seen the word and not heard it pronounced. Although I personally say it with more of a "lah" than a "luh", but maybe I'm misreading the schwa, or maybe I'm just an awful gringo mispronouncing things - I always was "horrible con mi accento" in Spanish. Not bad in that I would pronounce "h"s, but just that I imagine I sounded really, really, really English-speaking when I spoke.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

How was it pronounced on the show? I remember years ago a clue asked for INXS, and Alex rejected the contestant's three-syllable answer, having expected a single one. Quickly overruled, of course.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lefty wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:34 pm
How was it pronounced on the show? I remember years ago a clue asked for INXS, and Alex rejected the contestant's three-syllable answer, having expected a single one. Quickly overruled, of course.
Latin-Ex was how Ryan said it with Alex only acknowledging the correct response.