Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by triviawayne »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
Spoiler
Got it from the years, have always loved her voice
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:03 pm

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
Spoiler
Got it from the years, have always loved her voice
Took me way too long to pull her name. There's a lot of clues there, but I may not have gotten her name in 30 seconds.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Spoiler
Who is Stevie Nicks?

I got the album immediately but had to work through the rest of the band to make sure.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

Spoiler
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Got it in less than 10 seconds, but needed the British spelling TOM. I ain't great with music...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Spoiler
Who is Stevie Nicks?

got it with 2019 and being the 2nd time said person was inducted...not that many people to have been inducted multiple times
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Here's a Sports Jeopardy Final:

This city has a road sign congratulating its champions in both NCAA Division I Men's basketball and AAA baseball within the last five years.
Spoiler
What is Durham?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Is this too big? Anyway, please remember the category which is simply PAINTERS:

Painter of the following, a character who burnt her candle at both ends and gleaned what she sowed:Image
I'm smart and I want respect.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Spoiler
Who is Stevie Nicks?

I got the album immediately but had to work through the rest of the band to make sure.
You know, that wasn't my intention...but it's interesting that it's another completely different type of neg I hadn't thought about.
Spoiler
The original intention was to give clues involving an American singer (Stevie Nicks) with a British-titled album (Rumours), leading to the response of "Fleetwood Mac", since they're a British-American hybrid band, which is moderately rare. But I wanted something to pin the question, and using accolades is a convenient way to do that - just like they did with the Barbra Streisand question as being the #1 "Greatest Woman Artist of all Time" per Billboard. Stevie Nicks being a double HoF nominee seemed an easy way to do that - and it (unintentionally, but helpfully) eliminated Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham, which I'm guessing were the negs for you. AFAIK, the most notable solo career from Fleetwood Mac is Stevie Nicks.

Difficulty could be increased by an order of magnitude by either replacing "1998 and 2019" to "twice", or by changing the 1977 year to "in the 1970s", or eliminating the year altogether. There can't be too many one word album titles that are uniquely British in spelling. Or it could be softened by introducing the fact that Stevie Nicks is the first female double nominee.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Lefty wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:09 am PAINTERS:

Painter of the following, a character who burnt her candle at both ends and gleaned what she sowed:
Who is Sir John Everett Milais?(Not to be confused by Edna St. Vincent Millay nor Jean-Francois Millet.)
Douglas Squasoni
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:49 pm

Spoiler
Who is Stevie Nicks?

got it with 2019 and being the 2nd time said person was inducted...not that many people to have been inducted multiple times

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 am
CasketRomance wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:49 pm

Spoiler
Who is Stevie Nicks?

actually...it is 22...like i said...not that many...especially with the number of people who have been inducted
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

TAKE AWAY A LETTER

Take away a "D" at the end of a Fort in France and you get this name for a member of a former Russian aristocratic order.
Spoiler
What is Boyar?(From Boyard.)
Douglas Squasoni
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

NAME'S THE SAME

Name shared by a Trojan War hero, a Thracian king killed by Hercules during one of his labors, and a saint who gave his name to Russia's easternmost island
Spoiler
What is Diomedes?
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

COMPOUND WORDS

This 11-letter word for a sharp, often illegal type of weapon is one of the longest English words that doesn't repeat any letters
Spoiler
What is "switchblade" ?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

AUTHORS

She is buried about 20 miles northwest of Charlottetown.
Spoiler
Who is Lucy Maud Montgomery?
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

BEST PICTURE OSCARS

To date, 23 titles have started with the word "the". At three, this three letter word comes in second place.
Spoiler
What is "All"?
Spoiler
All Quiet on the Western Front
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 am BEST PICTURE OSCARS

To date, 23 titles have started with the word "the". At three, this three letter word comes in second place.
Spoiler
What is "All"?
Spoiler
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve
Spoiler
came up with "for" going with "A Man for All Seasons"...so that would be four times?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am

Spoiler
What is "All"?
Spoiler
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve
Spoiler
came up with "for" going with "A Man for All Seasons"...so that would be four times?
"Started with"
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am

Spoiler
What is "All"?
Spoiler
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve
Spoiler
Spoiler
A Man for All Seasons doesn't start with the word "for"
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spoiler
What is "All"?
Spoiler
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve
Some of you may enjoy my quiz on a similar subject and/or find it helpful as a training exercise in thinking through Oscar winning film possibilities.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/opusthepe ... ommon-word

For those of you who avoid Sporcle due to the ads, I highly recommend AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin. Either browser extension will make Sporcle games completely playable.