Watching Online

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Watching Online

Post by triviawayne »

Well it seems any online sources I can find dried up, I may have to start using my CBS All Access again.

Recording it on there is a major PITA, and I was wondering if anyone knows where it can be seen online daily anymore.

Probably best to PM me with a result.

If not, maybe we can start a small, private group of those willing to do the recording and hand it off some way to the others? This way, I may only have to do one day a week, or once every two weeks to deal with it.

Thoughts?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Watching Online

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Can we not use this message board to facilitate episode piracy?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:36 am Can we not use this message board to facilitate episode piracy?
This is like one of those gestalt images. I keep flipping back and forth between reading this as 'please let's not facilitate piracy,' and 'hey, let's use this board to facilitate piracy!'
davey

Post by davey »

mahatma wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:59 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:36 am Can we not use this message board to facilitate episode piracy?
This is like one of those gestalt images. I keep flipping back and forth between reading this as 'please let's not facilitate piracy,' and 'hey, let's use this board to facilitate piracy!'
I thought the same thing! I'm pretty sure the former is meant, though...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Weren't you a moderator on the Jeopardy reddit where someone posted multiple links to the day's show literally every day for like years?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:17 pm
Weren't you a moderator on the Jeopardy reddit where someone posted multiple links to the day's show literally every day for like years?
And then Sony shut everything down, and that subreddit just about got banned. Which is presumably why he posted that here, so we don't suffer a similar fate.

Sony ramping up their copyright is also why we have threads like this in the first place, since those daily posters can't operate in the sunlight anymore. You can't just search YouTube or Dailymotion for Jeopardy and the current date/year and easily find recent games, like you used to.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Is what I've asked any different than recording and sharing VHS tapes?

Not that I have any copyright law experience, but AFAIK, there isn't anything illegal about that.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:58 pm AFAIK, there isn't anything illegal about [recording and sharing VHS tapes].
Recommended reading: 17 U.S.C. §§  106(1) and (3), 501(a)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:18 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:58 pm AFAIK, there isn't anything illegal about [recording and sharing VHS tapes].
If you know about it, do you know the short, layman's version?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Under U.S. law, the copyright holder "holds" the "right" to "copy" a copyrighted work, and those that don't hold, infringe when they copy. There are exceptions like fair use (§ 107) and libraries and archives (§ 108) that likely don't apply to tape trading.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:30 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:18 pm
If you know about it, do you know the short, layman's version?
You can use copyrighted material for personal use, but you can't distribute it. The acceptable use doctrine says that you can excerpt copyrighted material for satirical and other purposes as long as it doesn't deprive copyright holder of revenue. IANAL, mind you.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm Under U.S. law, the copyright holder "holds" the "right" to "copy" a copyrighted work, and those that don't hold, infringe when they copy. There are exceptions like fair use (§ 107) and libraries and archives (§ 108) that likely don't apply to tape trading.
I might be misunderstanding what you wrote, but if it doesn't apply to tape trading, how is trading digitally between two (or a few) people different?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:04 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm Under U.S. law, the copyright holder "holds" the "right" to "copy" a copyrighted work, and those that don't hold, infringe when they copy. There are exceptions like fair use (§ 107) and libraries and archives (§ 108) that likely don't apply to tape trading.
I might be misunderstanding what you wrote, but if it doesn't apply to tape trading, how is trading digitally between two (or a few) people different?
I think what Robert is saying is that tape trading does violate copyright, however it is so onerous to do (on behalf of the traders) and so impossible to stop (by the copyright holders) that no significant number of people do it, and no one tries to stop it. On the other hand, online digital sharing is easier to do, and can reach so many people, that copyright holders try harder to stop it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I don't think digital trading between two or a few people is substantially different than VHS tape sharing; in both instances, the cost to the rightsholder of enforcement is the only prohibitive factor, but they're both still infringement that the rightsholder could legally act upon.

ETA: What boson said.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This is another instance I wish this board had a Like button.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:34 pm
Especially in light of Myron's reply, I feel as though this is a particularly unfair swipe at me.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Reddit has also significantly changed its moderation policies in the last year or two and while they were known for laissez faire approaches to sitewide moderation, has now exhibited a stronger willingness to outright ban subreddits (and some of these bans have been for the facilitation of piracy). What Myron mentions was no idle threat.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:43 pm
JayK33 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:34 pm
Especially in light of Myron's reply, I feel as though this is a particularly unfair swipe at me.
If there are legitimate concerns, then by all means as a moderator and/or site host, you could explain why it's such a serious matter and why threads like this are no longer going to be tolerated. You could even simply delete the thread and message Wayne with the reasons. Your minimalistic reply while also throwing in what I would say was a completely unnecessary swipe calling the poster a pirate, seems rather unhelpful.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 am

If there are legitimate concerns, then by all means as a moderator and/or site host, you could explain why it's such a serious matter and why threads like this are no longer going to be tolerated. You could even simply delete the thread and message Wayne with the reasons. Your minimalistic reply while also throwing in what I would say was a completely unnecessary swipe calling the poster a pirate, seems rather unhelpful.
This has been abundantly explained. What's your point?

And calling this an instance of piracy is not a "swipe" or insult. It's a factual definition.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I wouldn't go that far. Andy's first response was a bit flippant and the better course might have been to delete the thread and offer a private explanation for the deletion. But Jeopardy! retains the traditional TV distribution and revenue model of air-once-and-sell-ads, which is unlike software and feature film distribution; there is no way for fans of the show to obtain from official sources episodes missed because of local station pre-emption, time-shift device (e.g., DVR) failure, or the like. Whatever the nature of the infringement of copying an episode to share on a limited basis, which we don't need to get into here, "piracy" is perhaps not the correct word and there's no reason to be mean to people about their desire to make sure they get to see every episode of a show they love.