FJs for the 10/28/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/28/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:49 pm

Before its official opening on May 24, 1883 Emily Roebling became the first person to cross it in a carriage
80%
Objects of attention in this suspenseful film include a digging dog, a scantily clad dancer & a possible murderer
57%
In 1865 this city named for an early 19th century British hero became a British colonial capital
73%
In a 1952 novel, he wrote, "But there were dry years too, & they put a terror on the valley. The water came in a thirty-year cycle"
82%
This denomination takes its name from the day, as told in the New Testament, when the Holy Spirit descended on the Apostles  
53%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
19%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
EXERCISE $400: Many consider cast iron to be the original type of this gym weight that has an attached handle; now "ring" in!
38%
COLLEGE TOWNS $600: This city that's home to Brigham Young University was originally known as Fort Utah
73%
MOUNTAIN STATES $600: Mount Lassen, at the southern end of the Cascades
43%
 A Celtic tradition of using hollowed-out turnips with candles inside led to these distinctive & larger Halloween gourds - I expected the decision on the incorrect "pumpkin" to be reversed.  
41%
I got Steinbeck on Thursday even though I thought the novel being referenced was The Grapes of Wrath.
33%
I got Steinbeck and knew the novel was not The Grapes of Wrath.
38%
I knew or could have guessed the Steinbeck novel was East of Eden.
26%
I am familiar with both terms of Pentecost & Pentecostals.
81%
7th-Day Adventists (or similar) was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
38%

Total votes: 112

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/28/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AMERICA

10/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before its official opening on May 24, 1883 Emily Roebling became the first person to cross it in a carriage

10/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1950s CINEMA

10/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Objects of attention in this suspenseful film include a digging dog, a scantily clad dancer & a possible murderer

10/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

10/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1865 this city named for an early 19th century British hero became a British colonial capital

10/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVELISTS

10/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1952 novel, he wrote, "But there were dry years too, & they put a terror on the valley. The water came in a thirty-year cycle"

11/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RELIGION

11/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This denomination takes its name from the day, as told in the New Testament, when the Holy Spirit descended on the Apostles

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Brooklyn Bridge
Rear Window
Wellington
John Steinbeck
Pentacostalism (the Pentecosts)
The players were 9/15 (60.00%) with a 3-2-2-2-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested triple stumper followed by two more triple stumpers.

EXERCISE $400: Many consider cast iron to be the original type of this gym weight that has an attached handle; now "ring" in!

COLLEGE TOWNS $600: This city that's home to Brigham Young University was originally known as Fort Utah

MOUNTAIN STATES $600: Mount Lassen, at the southern end of the Cascades

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
kettlebell
Provo
California
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/28/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Negged with barbell in doing "ring" to "bell" and not able to lay off the top box clue. Certainly have heard of "kettlebell."

Had jack-o-lantern and expected no correction on pumpkin since Alex & the judges had to have already decided it was a neg.

Got Steinbeck and knew it was not TGOW.  EofE? I would have had a bunch of other guesses before getting to that one.

Yes, familiar with the -Pente terms.

Not polled:  I have not see Rear Window and I have not been across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Also not polled even though requested:  I was not sure how to work out thinking 7th-Day Adventist on first part of clue and then got away from it after reading the whole clue.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Grapes of Wrath. Grew up AoG.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Fri - (Blank) I got as far as "Probably that one that starts with a number in a foreign language" but couldn't think of it in time.

Grapes of Wrath lead me to Steinbeck, but when Trebek said "wrong book" I figured it was East of Eden.
Not sure entirely how to score that...

I am familiar with the existence of the terms 'Pentecost' and 'Pentecostal'...if you're asking me to define them, I can go and uncheck that box :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Finally a 5/5 week. Of course the Tournament is going to slap me silly, but this season's not been kind to me, so seven in a row to get me over 50% feels nice.

I knew BYU isn't in SLC, but it took until the rebound to come up with the name Provo.

I flipped between saying pumpkin and jack-o-lantern and went with the latter but think pumpkin is more correct. Mildly surprised at no reversal.
Steinbeck was a guess/hunch/"if it's not him I've got no idea" (which applies to Monday and Tuesday as well). I'd have said Grapes of Wrath if asked for the book, but I didn't get as far as considering books.
On first read of Friday's clue I was thinking 7DA, but then reread the clue while trying to come up with the name and got the right answer. I'm Catholic and celebrate Pentecost; I'm familiar enough with the term Pentecostal to click that box, but can't say anything about what Pentecostalism is.

Unpolled: have not seen Rear Window, have never been to New York.
Last edited by Plactus on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I thought of a half-dozen 50s HItchcock films, but not the right one. I also thought of "Anatomy of a Murder" (which I have never seen) and thought it sounded ok (aside from "murderer" having been in the clue).

I knew Pentecost had to do with fifty days, and the clue seemed to refer to just one, and that converted me to Adventism.

I hadn't realized the Cascades descended so far.

I might have guessed East of Eden as the particular novel, as I think I remembered it did not long precede its film version, but I wasn't really concerned about what particular novel the quote was from.

I thought kettlebell was the daughter of Ma and Pa.

I find the pumpkin clue to be a mind-blowing non-reversal.

More: I have walked and ridden over the Brooklyn Bridge. I have seen Rear Window and pretty sure I have read the Woolrich story. Also have listened to Paul Simon's "Duncan" many times.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

I had no dog in the pumpkin/jack-o-lantern fight.

Thought the Steinbeck clue was hinting at Grapes of Wrath.

Knew Pentecostals were a thing, but still said 7th Day Adventist.
davey

Post by davey »

I agree that Pentecostalism should not have been called a denomination, any more than Fundamentalism or Evangelicalism would be, but I'm familiar with the day and the movement, so I had no problem with that one...(after brushing aside the popular response)
No such luck with the extras... :( The "not polled" questions would have worked out better for me... ;)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was thinking California for the southernmost Cascade but I clammed. If I had been watching by myself I think I would have pulled the trigger.

I said Steinbeck thinking The Grapes of Wrath and didn't give a second thought to the year.

Seventh-Day Adventists popped into my head immediately, and then I saw the rest of the clue and realized the Holy Spirit didn't descend on the apostles just a week later.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:| :| :|

My first 5/5 week of the season! Mrs. Penguin also went 5/5 so she's quite happy.

I officially clammed on all three extra clues. Knew barbell was wrong and couldn't think of kettlebell though I've heard the term. Said Provo for BYU just to say something but wouldn't have rung in. Thought Oregon on the Cascades. When that turned out to be wrong, I switched to "either California or Idaho" so still wouldn't have rung in.

I expected a reversal on the pumpkin clue and feel very strongly that there should have been one--really that pumpkin should've been on Alex's card and the neg never should have happened.

I got Steinbeck and knew it wasn't Grapes of Wrath. (Nice job, Mark, on breaking it up into two possible responses. I think that was a good way to go.) If I'd had to guess, I think I'd have gone with East of Eden, so I checked that box. But I admit there's a chance I'd have talked myself into Tortilla Flat and even messed that up by sticking an illegitimate S on the end. (On the other hand, my uncertainty about that second word might have made me avoid the title entirely. Better to guess a novel where I actually know what it's called.)

I did think of 7th Day Adventism because of the word "day." But I have enough background knowledge to know that the clue wasn't describing a sect that worships on Saturday rather than Sunday. I knew the clue was talking about Pentecost and it was easy to know what to write from there. This was the opposite of one of those clues where too much knowledge can end up biting you. I had tons of knowledge on the surrounding subject matter and it all pointed to the correct response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

<25% on a top box clue? I still say the writers whiffed there big time.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(

I'm pretty sure I've driven the Brooklyn Bridge, certainly seen it many times coming/going to LaGuardia / Manhattan.

I already pleaded neutrality on the pumpkin wars and plan to work both sides against another.

Suspenseful Movies? Political Geography? Nope.

I picked Hemingway, because, 1952 ELIMINATED TGOW.

I picked Latter Day Saints, because, Day. I didn't think of the 7th Day Adventists or I'd probably gone there. I know Pentecosts only as the fundamentalist who made their children dress weird and didn't dance in high school. Never knew the derivation of the term and didn't know the origin story for the Holy Spirit.

Kettlebells are weights with handles. They were old school equipment that made a comeback as a fad of the month in gyms. PSA - A weighted ring slipped on a bat for warming up is a donut. A forward pass is a ball thrown toward the opponent's goal line. Tom Landry coached the Dallas Cowboys. Fair catch. Purple People Eaters. Option play. :lol: But I'm stupid for missing movies and Geography?
But, joking aside, I'm surprised at the low get rate. Good choice for the poll.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Totally lost on the FJ!s I didn't know, although as I've learned, Roebling and Wellington seem to be J! favorites.

I went with Steinbeck for the dust bowl clue, and Grapes of Wrath was my best guess for the book, but if you'd asked me if I wanted to wager any of my winnings for the bonus question "Which book was it?", I'd pass.

All three of my correct FJ! answers I came up with fairly quickly, although I had to swat away Vertigo for Rear Window, and Seventh Day Adventist for Pentecostal.

I could picture the kettlebell, and I've read about kettlebells - the word just wasn't coming to me in J! time, even on a triple stumper.

I probably would have guessed Provo on a rebound spotting the obvious incorrect answer, and maybe I'd be over 50% confident, so maybe I'd guess.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Thought of several Hitchcock films but couldn’t come up with the right one
Thought the Cascades ended in Oregon

Probably would have guessed East of Eden

Did not see the pumpkin clue, so no opinion
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

7th-Day Adventists on Friday on that clue that was disadvantageous, if not unfair, for people who weren't raised Christian. If I had more time to think about it, I would have remembered how 7th-Day Adventists got their name, but I doubt I would have gotten to Pentecostalists since I didn't know the origin of Pentecost.

When I got Provo, it was on the rebound.

Grapes of Wrath was the novel I had in mind for the Steinbeck clue, although I kept thinking that it had come out earlier than 1952. East of Eden never crossed my mind, though.

I responded with "pumpkin" on the confusingly worded gourd clue, and felt the contestant should not have been negged for responding the same way.

Bring on the TOC! Very excited to see if James plays up to his established level of dominances and cements his GOAT credentials pending a matchup with Brad and Ken. This is not to disrespect the 14 outstanding players who are also in the TOC field, but James was historically stellar during his regular run.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I didn’t see the show live, so I didn’t see the Exercise clue. Any indication why dumbbell would not have been acceptable? Unlike barbells, the handles on dumbbells are also attached.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

My precall for Tuesday was North by Northwest, and I stuck with it because I couldn’t think of alternatives - Touch of Evil seemed a bit obscure, and it seemed like the clue was going for Hitchcock - but I’m not that familiar with Hitchcock’s movies and Rear Window didn’t come to mind.

Knew Pentecostal right away; was very surprised it was a TS.

Didn’t realize Mt Lassen was in the Cascades, but knew it was in California.

For Thursday, Steinbeck was the obvious choice, and just as obvious, it was way too late for TGoW. I’ve never read East of Eden, but knew it was the right timeframe for that book, and “valley” in the clue pointed at that book. So I was pretty sure the quote was from East of Eden. Not that it matters except for JBoard bragging rights ;)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Monday - not disclosing
Thursday - Ray Bradbury