Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by xxaaaxx »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 pm POP CULTURE THROUGH THE GENERATIONS

In 2009, this member of the Monkees appeared in an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants
Spoiler
Who is Davy Jones (and his locker)?
(This one could be made easier with another clue, but I like it this way.)

Spoiler
I like it too, SpongeBob -> underwater -> 'Davy Jones' locker' is a nice, logical path to solving it. I've sure has hell never watched the show, and couldn't have told you which of the Monkees is still alive, now or in 2009, w/o looking it up just now.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:13 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 pm POP CULTURE THROUGH THE GENERATIONS

In 2009, this member of the Monkees appeared in an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants
Spoiler

Spoiler
I like it too, SpongeBob -> underwater -> 'Davy Jones' locker' is a nice, logical path to solving it. I've sure has hell never watched the show, and couldn't have told you which of the Monkees is still alive, now or in 2009, w/o looking it up just now.
Spoiler
As a kid (b. 1975) I always assumed that was the Davy Jones whose locker was alluded to.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Spoiler
That's a good clue, though to be honest, he's the only member of the Monkees I know off the top of my head so I would have defaulted to him anyway even had I not noted the TOM...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

AMERICAN HISTORY:

In 1896, this man said, "In this land of the free you need fear no tyrant who will spring up from among the people."

Easier lead-in:
Spoiler
In a notable 1896 speech...
Answer:
Spoiler
Who is William Jennings Bryan?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Spoiler
I like it! Maybe bump the difficulty by shielding the band as "a 1960s band known as the Pre-Fab Four"? For those of us raised on Nickelodeon way back when they reran the sitcom related to the band, it's basically a four-option multiple choice question, with three incorrect options
Spoiler
sinking to the bottom of the sea.
You could also be really evil and pin the band with an accolade, and just say "1960s band that won XXX", or "1960s band that starred in XXX" - I'm blanking on the movie now. Was it "Head"?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:17 am
Spoiler
That's a good clue, though to be honest, he's the only member of the Monkees I know off the top of my head so I would have defaulted to him anyway even had I not noted the TOM...
That reminds me of a question Alan Bailey once asked when hosting pub quiz. He wanted the member of the Black Eyed Peas who was a voice actor for Peanuts cartoons as a child, but he gave us the names of will.i.am, Fergie, Taboo, and apl.de.ap in the question, presumably because the correct answer was particularly likely to be the only member a lot of people would be able to name.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MCU AND THE PRESIDENCY

The 1974 Emmy for Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series was given to an actor for portraying this character, whose nickname is a Marvel character, and whose last name is the name of a US President.
Spoiler
Who is "Hawkeye" Pierce?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:20 am AMERICAN HISTORY:

In 1896, this man said, "In this land of the free you need fear no tyrant who will spring up from among the people."

Easier lead-in:
Spoiler
In a notable 1896 speech...
Answer:
Spoiler
Who is William Jennings Bryan?
never heard of this person before
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:34 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:17 am
Spoiler
That reminds me of a question Alan Bailey once asked when hosting pub quiz. He wanted the member of the Black Eyed Peas who was a voice actor for Peanuts cartoons as a child, but he gave us the names of will.i.am, Fergie, Taboo, and apl.de.ap in the question, presumably because the correct answer was particularly likely to be the only member a lot of people would be able to name.
figured that was who it was...knew that person was in kids incorporated, so wouldn't have been a stretch since i knew that person was in the business at an early age
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:57 pm MCU AND THE PRESIDENCY

The 1974 Emmy for Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series was given to an actor for portraying this character, whose nickname is a Marvel character, and whose last name is the name of a US President.
Spoiler
Who is "Hawkeye" Pierce?
Excellent! I don't know how this played out for anyone else, but for me it was a quintessential good FJ clue. No way am I getting it in time to ring in. But with Think Music time to work through the various bits of info, I did just fine. For me, all the info in the second clause just proved a distraction. I tried to think through Marvel characters but just don't know them well enough. (Ended up wasting a little time thinking about various presidential name combinations with Flash. But it turns out The Flash is in the DC universe. Also, Commissioner Gordon never became president.) Trying to think through presidents seemed overwhelming, which sent me back to the beginning of the clue to narrow down my options. That's when I realized we had to be talking about M*A*S*H and everything came together pretty quickly from there.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:11 am

Spoiler
Who is "Hawkeye" Pierce?
Excellent! I don't know how this played out for anyone else, but for me it was a quintessential good FJ clue. No way am I getting it in time to ring in. But with Think Music time to work through the various bits of info, I did just fine. For me, all the info in the second clause just proved a distraction. I tried to think through Marvel characters but just don't know them well enough. (Ended up wasting a little time thinking about various presidential name combinations with Flash. But it turns out The Flash is in the DC universe. Also, Commissioner Gordon never became president.) Trying to think through presidents seemed overwhelming, which sent me back to the beginning of the clue to narrow down my options. That's when I realized we had to be talking about M*A*S*H and everything came together pretty quickly from there.
Spoiler
agreed this is a great FJ (and about the best one here in a little bit). I got stuck in the All in the Family universe trying to find a character that had a presidential last name
Total game show career losings = $171,522
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:11 am

Spoiler
Who is "Hawkeye" Pierce?
Spoiler
I just looked up Hawkeye to see if it'd shown up in FJ! and if I'd coincidentally made a similar question, and it hasn't. (The nickname is the answer to a FJ! question, but in a totally different context.) But in looking up Hawkeye, they actually did have a category where you had to name Avengers who fit a description - and "The Avenger who shares a name with a character from M*A*S*H" was a Triple Stumper, so the Think! time is important. Especially considering that Hawkeye is probably the second- or third-to-last movie Avenger people would name, next to Black Widow and Scarlet Witch.

I just realized that there's another unintentional stray path you could take, especially if you focus on the presidents and go in order - the Jeffersons. Embarrassingly enough, when I was 4 or 5 and the show was still on, I thought George Jefferson was a president. The one key to avoiding the Jefferson trap is that it premiered in 1975 (and lasted well into the 80s).
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT

The oldest woman ever elected to Congress for the first time — just shy of 78 — was a cabinet secretary for his entire administration.
Spoiler
Who is Bill Clinton?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

CAPITAL CITIES

This European capital city begins the name of the ruling dynasty of Sweden.
Spoiler
What is Bern?(Bernadotte)
Douglas Squasoni
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I can't remember which Facebook group I saw this on. My apologies to the original poster.

THE WINTER OLYMPICS

The 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics will be the second Games to be hosted by a world capital; this city's Games, in 1952, were the first
Spoiler
What is Oslo, Norway?

Sarajevo, currently the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina, was not a world capital in 1984 when it hosted.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:03 pm I can't remember which Facebook group I saw this on. My apologies to the original poster.

THE WINTER OLYMPICS

The 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics will be the second Games to be hosted by a world capital; this city's Games, in 1952, were the first
Spoiler
What is Oslo, Norway?

Sarajevo, currently the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina, was not a world capital in 1984 when it hosted.
I think there’s some technicality, but Beijing will be the first to host both summer and winter games
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Sports Geography

The southernmost school with a Division I hockey program is located in this state
Spoiler
Arizona (Arizona State University is the school)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

AMERICAN COMPOSERS

This American composer and songwriter is a homophone of a word meaning a person who sold and publicized books, particularly religious texts.
Spoiler
Who is Cole Porter?(Colporteur)
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TV Settings

This "aerial" show is the only show to have been set in a US territory
Spoiler
The Flying Nun
triviawayne