Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

hanzz wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:43 pm
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:33 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:12 pm I don't think Anneke should have been BMS'd for her response of Guyana in the $2,000 "To the Stars" clue asking for a South American territory. French Guiana isn't a more specific version of saying "Guyana"; Guyana is an independent country and I think the response should have been treated as incorrect.
And agree with the Guyana answer. It’s a totally separate country. If you answered Ireland for a question on Northern Ireland, I don’t think you’d be prompted.
Strangely enough, this is, in fact, a precedent that has been set.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... d+specific
(Under “Nice Red Uniforms!” For $1200)

I think it's an unfortunate precedent, and even worse in the TOC where I feel a contestant should know the difference between Guyana and French Guiana (especially spotted "European space agency"). For consistency they would now also have to BMS on Virginia for West Virginia, Samoa for American Samoa, Sudan for South Sudan (which could have come up in today's episode), and Congo for Democratic Republic of the Congo. Like, if they ask what country Kinshasa is the capital of and you answer "Congo," that's just wrong and you shouldn't get what amounts to a mulligan.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:27 pm Congrats to Gilbert on the win.

Although I've already lost my chances of having a perfect QF predictions record.
Hahah same here, and I guess that's why we should not be prognosticators! :lol:

Congrats to Gilbert, and props to Kyle for fighting back in the late stages to put himself in good shape for a wildcard.

Wrote down Marathon instantly, and couldn't come up with anything better. With all the talk about the clue's difficulty, I wonder how ToC contestants would fare if the clue asked for Pheidippides, the runner of the marathon, instead of simply ID'ing the battle.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:02 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:12 pm I don't think Anneke should have been BMS'd for her response of Guyana in the $2,000 "To the Stars" clue asking for a South American territory. French Guiana isn't a more specific version of saying "Guyana"; Guyana is an independent country and I think the response should have been treated as incorrect.
And agree with the Guyana answer. It’s a totally separate country. If you answered Ireland for a question on Northern Ireland, I don’t think you’d be prompted.

I think it's an unfortunate precedent, and even worse in the TOC where I feel a contestant should know the difference between Guyana and French Guiana (especially spotted "European space agency"). For consistency they would now also have to BMS on Virginia for West Virginia, Samoa for American Samoa, Sudan for South Sudan (which could have come up in today's episode), and Congo for Democratic Republic of the Congo. Like, if they ask what country Kinshasa is the capital of and you answer "Congo," that's just wrong and you shouldn't get what amounts to a mulligan.
From Andy's Thoughts at The Jeopardy! Fan: I am OK with Alex asking Anneke to “be more specific” on TO THE STARS $2000 as in French the territory is named Guyane.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 pm From Andy's Thoughts at The Jeopardy! Fan: I am OK with Alex asking Anneke to “be more specific” on TO THE STARS $2000 as in French the territory is named Guyane.
It’s a judgment call and not one I would have accepted had I been teleported in Alex’s body during the game, but it’s not insanely egregious, either. It probably helps that it didn’t end up affecting the outcome unless you go into butterfly effect mode about it changing who was in what position going into final.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Wasn't expecting such an easy FJ. The WC cutoff could be quite interesting if they all are.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:02 pm

From Andy's Thoughts at The Jeopardy! Fan: I am OK with Alex asking Anneke to “be more specific” on TO THE STARS $2000 as in French the territory is named Guyane.
If Alex was going to allow the foreign name (which would have been charitable, since this isn't a Côte d'Ivoire situation and French Guiana isn't commonly referred to by English speakers by its French name), then Guyana (which is a possible phonetic pronunciation of "Guyane") should have been acceptable on its own without a BMS. It seems pretty obvious to me that they were just following the Ireland / Northern Ireland precedent (which can't be defended on linguistic grounds, AFAIK). I will be very curious to see what happens when one of the other examples I've given comes up.

Back to tonight's case: we have no idea what Alex's actual rationale was for issuing the BMS instruction.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Coryat 37600, which seems high for a TOC match (call that my test Maggie)... I expect much lower later this week.

I think the contestants tried to use Holzhauer's start-at-the-bottom (now we're here) strategy, but those questions (especially in single J!) were just too tough for them to roll up big cash that way.

FJ was remarkably simple - I looked for the catch, but still answered correctly.

Like many others, I'm struggling to figure out how to regularly watch J! these days. I cancelled cable, but I have a web-based TV subscription that is $100/mo less than my previous cable bill (Bell Fibe Alt TV, for other Canadians). It is great with a Chromecast... but I haven't figured out how to record, and it doesn't include time shifting. Jeopardy has to be appointment TV now for me, and life is just too busy for that to work often. Any hints on how to set up pvr-like recording of similar web streaming services, let me know.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:47 pm Did anyone else think there were a ton of stand and stares on basic Jeopardy information especially for ToC contestants? Hamburger Hill for one.
I had to check it out myself, there was $17600 available in trash in 14 clues. (That said, I still only managed to pick up $8400 of it... :roll: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:12 pmPam Dawber (a make-me-feel-old TS).
haha I had the exact same feeling. and what the hell is Rizzoli and Isles?

Shocked that Anneke would throw away her shot at the TOC with a joke that already feels stale. Le sigh.

Kyle had a very rough start and I'm sorry, but "you found your category" does not apply to OPERA & BALLET* when Giselle is a miss. Shocked!!

DD 2/3 + FJ (for the record, I did not run the nyc marathon on sunday, not as a clown or anything else)

I said "troussed" and they'd have to accept it!!

Guyana was an unfortunate BMS. Sorry, I just don't think it was the right call.

Clues seemed harder, yes, but I'm swimming in trash

*Kind of annoyed that the writers threw Opera and Ballet together in one category like that
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 pm

Shocked that Anneke would throw away her shot at the TOC with a joke that already feels stale. Le sigh.

Kyle had a very rough start and I'm sorry, but "you found your category" does not apply to OPERA & BALLET* when Giselle is a miss. Shocked!!

DD 2/3 + FJ (for the record, I did not run the nyc marathon on sunday, not as a clown or anything else)

*Kind of annoyed that the writers threw Opera and Ballet together in one category like that
was a show that aired on tnt...had one of the lawyers from law order and kate from ncis in it...took place in boston....never saw a full episode...had it on as filler after tnt thursday basketball games at times

btw...you never heard of that show, but had heard of whatever show it was from the top box that had lily tomlin as the correct answer?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 pm

wasn't how i wanted them to throw those subjects...would have preferred them to throw them in the trash where they belong
Last edited by CasketRomance on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 pm *Kind of annoyed that the writers threw Opera and Ballet together in one category like that
wasn't how i wanted them to throw those subject...would have preferred them to throw them in the trash where they belong
Rood!
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:14 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 pm *Kind of annoyed that the writers threw Opera and Ballet together in one category like that
wasn't how i wanted them to throw those subject...would have preferred them to throw them in the trash where they belong
Rood!
Lucky the category was opera and ballet and not sacred works, otherwise it would have been Holyrood.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was mildly surprised that Anneke, after pulling the Hanseatic League, blanked on the Battle of Marathon, a WECIB for me. More Lach trash than I’m accustomed to in a TOC: Nixon, Bequerel, von Braun, Hamburger Hill are the ones I recall.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Lampoon $1000, Falcon Heavy, and Party of the Second Part $400, $800, and $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rood/Rude, White Knight, Pawn, Richard Nixon, Hyundai, Giselle, Hamburger Hill, (Cape Colony), Tom Wolfe, Becquerel, Werner von Braun, Pam Dawber

Well, me and many others on this board were way off on the prediction. :shock:
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said knight for white knight. Judges? (Of course, white always moves first.)

I didn't remember any of the contestants from regular play.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 39,400
48 R/0 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: rood/rude, knight, Richard Nixon, Hyundai, Hamburger Hill, Tom Wolfe, Becquerel, Wernher von Braun, Pam Dawber

Shout-out to the Leitner box for the Tom Wolfe and La Traviata pickups. Turns out studying pays dividends. Who knew?
The thing is, Guyana is generally pronounced GUY-on-uh, whereas (French) Guiana is generally pronounced GHEE-on-uh. Since Anneke gave the pronunciation associated with the correct territory, I think it was appropriate for Alex to BMS and allow/force her to clarify her response. Had she given the "guy" pronunciation, I'd agree that it should be an outright neg.
floridagator wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:38 am I said knight for white knight. Judges? (Of course, white always moves first.)
Definitely. I think that was just Alex giving extra information.
Sprinkles are for winners.
yclept

Post by yclept »

This was a good first game. The players were evenly matched up. Gilbert had trouble getting going in DJ after a rock solid Jeopardy round but did enough to win it. I now agree with those who say he should have maxed out his wager but his wager wasn’t terrible - if facing a potential WC, wagering to make sure you finish at least second on a triple get is smart and he did that.

I am not sure if I agree with going with the James strategy in QF games where all the material is going to be read anyway. Hunting for the DD is obviously fine but I would bet against James earning a quick $6K using this strategy this week, never mind players who have never tried to play this way before.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Totally agree. I was yelling at the TV on that one. I mean, consider how the Internet would've blown up over this equivalent scenario.

CONTESTANT: I'll take NORTH AMERICA for $400, Alex.

ALEX: Ok, "This state's capital is Santa Fe"

CONTESTANT: What is Mexico?

ALEX: well... Be more specific

CONTESTANT: What is NEW Mexico?

ALEX: That's it!