Wednesday, November 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Now -THIS- is what I expected a ToC game to look like. Do the semis and finals get even harder? Only 25 correct responses from me, just under $14K Coryat, and....NHO Marian Anderson, NHO the 1939 concert at the Lincoln Memorial, and just learned that Howard is in Washington DC and not Atlanta, so basically any path to the correct response was completely blocked off. Great guess on my part, going with Etta James, BORN in 1938. :oops: :roll: I guess listening to Rod Stewart's version of "I'd Rather Go Blind" put her in my head subconsciously.

I really wanted Lindsey to go "What is..........stall?" for the top row clue in "ALL" IN, but if I were playing, I'd have my head in the game and not go for comic timing, either.

One misread/heard clue for me - thought they were looking for one of the co-creators of "Jackass", so I went with Bam Maghera, but 100% knew Jackass if I'd not been trigger happy. And he's not even a creator, just the first co-star that I happened to think of. Other than that, I swept the reality category despite only having actively watched one of the five series featured in the category.

Please tell me someone else immediately thought of this clip when they saw the "Not Australia" category:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYZ6_n7Mpb0

I had to wait the entire J! round for the matching clue, but it paid off.

I was tuned into "Jazz Age = 1920s-30s" very quickly because I'd just read a little about the Hays Code of the 1930s and pre-Code movies in the 1920s, and how some post-code movies had a "Jazz Age prelude" that rebuked the decadence of the Jazz Age. That plus having recently memorized the presidents got me to CC = 200.

I still wish that any highly-specialized rule categories (aside from highly common ones like quoted letters and Before/After, or ones that can be explained easily like "PAST BEDTIME") would have examples - if not for contestants, at least for the home audience. Have a "GEICO Sixth Question" pop up for a preview of one of tomorrow's categories, or something like that, and give preference for odd categories.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:12 pm I really wanted Lindsey to go "What is..........stall?" for the top row clue in "ALL" IN, but if I were playing, I'd have my head in the game and not go for comic timing, either.
Ha! My thought process exactly. I was hoping for the comic response but totally understood Lindsey either not thinking of it or thinking of it but not going for it. Head in the game, as you say. Especially in a TOC. Especially especially against JH. Nobody wants to be known as that person who lost because they tried for a joke and screwed it up and missed the clue.

Semi-related, I think Alan made an unfortunate decision with his FJ response. He went for some useless knowledge-signalling instead of the slim but non-zero chance that a guess like Johnson or Jones would land.

I thought Laura's dad in the Little House books was pretty easy for a bottom row DD in the DJ round of a TOC. It feels like even a few years ago they would've gotten creative with something tougher but still gettable. You know, the sum of Laura and her older sister. Or Pa minus Ma. Or Pa plus the actor who played him in the TV series. So many fun possibilities.
Spoiler
Laura Ingalls + Mary Ingalls = 1052
Charles Ingalls - Caroline Ingalls = 0
Charles Ingalls + Michael Landon = 1151
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

YAY!!! So glad my man James has returned! I loved his writing his name in the "welcome to Las Vegas" placeholder, really strikes home with me as a Las Vegas resident myself. And he proved that he still is absolutely incredible even against tough competition!

"Also, let's make it a true... $1100) is forever gonna remain one of my favorite Jeopardy lines.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

ACW wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:45 pm The no shout-outs rule is even dumber than the no ties rule.
I agree out the shout-outs rule and I agree that that arguments related to collusion and other arguments do not justify the no ties rule in regular play (though they may be good reasons to give players only half the money).

However, since this is a thread related to a tournament game, I think it should be noted that tiebreaker questions have always been used in tournaments.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

mjhunt wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:19 pm
ACW wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:45 pm The no shout-outs rule is even dumber than the no ties rule.
I agree out the shout-outs rule and I agree that that arguments related to collusion and other arguments do not justify the no ties rule in regular play (though they may be good reasons to give players only half the money).

However, since this is a thread related to a tournament game, I think it should be noted that tiebreaker questions have always been used in tournaments.
I agree that the tiebreaker makes sense in tournaments; but I don't think it makes sense in regular play.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yup, hardest boards of the TOC to me, coupled to the toughest FJ so far. James was up to the challenge, though, and showed that his buzzer dominance extends to TOC-level competition. I too knew who they were looking for but couldn’t pull her name.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Funny enough, Alan almost could've gotten away with his missolve of "Kelly Anne Clarkson" in the first round. Kelly Clarkson's middle name is Brianne.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

King James is back! He did exactly what I expected him to do and showed why he merited the designation of platinum going into this TOC. A Coryat higher than his record regular-play average, despite facing two strong opponents (one of whom will likely also advance to semis), is most impressive. Someone noted on reddit that James's Coryat today equaled the combined Coryat of all 3 players in Monday's match. It's a tribute to James's knowledge base that there were only 3 TS's, and only $3,800 in Lach Trash, in this game -- far less than in either of the previous 2 QF matches. Everyone in this TOC is really good, but James is at another level and I don't see anyone stopping him from steamrolling all the way through.

Instaget FJ for me - a bit harder than the previous 2 FJ's, but well within the J! canon. Marian Anderson's 1939 concert at the Lincoln Memorial has come up on J! many times before, including in an overvalued $2,000 clue in this game earlier in 2019.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... n+anderson
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:08 pm Whatever anyone else says about this game, it gets my vote for the toughest pair of boards I can recall in years and years, regular season, tournament, any damned thing. Holy crap!!! I got 10 right, 2 wrong in each of the two boards, along with a total of 36 stand-and-stares. I hang my head in abject disgrace (unless a whole bunch of you rescue my shattered ego by assuring me the boards really WERE that hard....)

And to top it off of course I couldn't recall the correct black female singer and went with Mahalia Jackson in FJ.

And all props to James for handling all of this so effortlessly. He has to become (as if he wasn't already) a strong favorite to win this puppy.
It's one game and there is no reason let a bad set of clues get to you as it happens to everyone. Well, almost everyone. Other than James and Lucario.

My 31/60 (including 5/5 in REALITY SHOW BREAKOUTS for my sole run) with one neg beats the 27 with 6 negs I had yesterday for how things can go one day to the next.

For your viewing enjoyment imagine you are one of the ToC competitors. Find your best game this week of the 5 that includes a FJ! clue solve and visualize that as the one you would have played in. You make the semis from the good QF game and whatever occurs on the other QF games for you does not matter.

Next week try to have at least one decent game of the three semis and same thing picture that as the one you would have drawn for the best chance to make the finals. I find that kind of tournament philosophy helps when a game(s) does not go well from home.

Good luck to have a better game tomorrow.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:05 am
Whatever helps.

In the category so what doesn't matter here are some in the neighborhood of the 30,635 James put up in his QF match:

1992: Leszek Pawlowicz 15900+900=16800 (old values of course)
2001: Brad Rutter 18000-0=18000

Thanks Andy: I overlooked this one for a big number going into the FJ! round

2011: Roger Craig 39800-19200=19600
Yay - beaten again by Roger and Brad.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,800
46 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (none)

This James guy is pretty good. The fact that both of his opponents had legitimate shots at wild card berths going into FJ! is a testament to their ability as well.

I was between Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald for the first half of the Think Music, but then I remembered Marian Anderson. I didn't know the whole story, but I knew that she was a black singer associated with Washington, D.C., and that was enough. Much, much harder than the other two FJ!s so far this week.

Taking It's Not Australia backwards cost me my one LT opportunity on the night. I was pretty sure it was Andorra, but I didn't yet realize that the category was about other A______a countries. Same with the $800 clue, where an understanding of the category would have allowed me to choose confidently between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

"What city is the University of Tennessee in?" for $2000? In the ToC? For shame. In typing that out, I realized that this game contained both a clue about Johnny Knoxville and a clue about the city of Knoxville. Interesting.

Humboldt Current is going in the Leitner box.

I imagine that the bridge clue brought a smile to former ToC winner fireantsdefense's face.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm pretty happy with my early $1,800 in Lach trash on the bottom two countries. "Princes" = plural, and Andorra is a co-principality; leader's last name ending with "-yan" = Armenian name. I don't recall whether Alex explained the category's theme, but I didn't need it for those.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Brad Garrett(Disappointing miss.), and That's Entertainment $1200 and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Andorra, Armenia, Larsen
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:48 pm I too knew who they were looking for but couldn’t pull her name.
Right there with you. I guessed Billie Holiday.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

It was good to see James again...and actually, I was glad to see all three players. I thought we were in for a game when Alan got the DD to cut James' lead to $800...but then, James did what he usually did during his run: took control of the board and got on a roll.

For FJ...my answer was Ella Fitzgerald, but as the music played, I was thinking "Who wouldn't want Ella Fitzgerald to perform in their venue???". When Marian Anderson was revealed, it triggered a memory that I had read about that once upon a time...but didn't recall it at all while trying to answer FJ.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:12 pm\

I really wanted Lindsey to go "What is..........stall?" for the top row clue in "ALL" IN, but if I were playing, I'd have my head in the game and not go for comic timing, either.
Thank you. I thought I was the only one to have that thought. Woulda been great, sez I.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:28 am
John Boy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:08 pm Whatever anyone else says about this game, it gets my vote for the toughest pair of boards I can recall in years and years, regular season, tournament, any damned thing. Holy crap!!! I got 10 right, 2 wrong in each of the two boards, along with a total of 36 stand-and-stares. I hang my head in abject disgrace (unless a whole bunch of you rescue my shattered ego by assuring me the boards really WERE that hard....)

And to top it off of course I couldn't recall the correct black female singer and went with Mahalia Jackson in FJ.

And all props to James for handling all of this so effortlessly. He has to become (as if he wasn't already) a strong favorite to win this puppy.
It's one game and there is no reason let a bad set of clues get to you as it happens to everyone. Well, almost everyone. Other than James and Lucario.

My 31/60 (including 5/5 in REALITY SHOW BREAKOUTS for my sole run) with one neg beats the 27 with 6 negs I had yesterday for how things can go one day to the next.

For your viewing enjoyment imagine you are one of the ToC competitors. Find your best game this week of the 5 that includes a FJ! clue solve and visualize that as the one you would have played in. You make the semis from the good QF game and whatever occurs on the other QF games for you does not matter.

Next week try to have at least one decent game of the three semis and same thing picture that as the one you would have drawn for the best chance to make the finals. I find that kind of tournament philosophy helps when a game(s) does not go well from home.

Good luck to have a better game tomorrow.

Oh I don't imagine this one game signals my decline into dementia. This was SUCH an anomaly that it stood out in years of my viewing history as horrendously bad. I did much better in my first two tournament games at home and I expect to do better real soon. Just....this....game.. :roll:
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 pm lindsey's wager was awful...if she misses she has 7k and change...like that would be good enough for a wild card...the only wager she should have done was all in...no idea why she even bothered with such a bad wager in a tournament format...didn't much for her before and with that wager i really hope she misses out on a wildcard
I was going to say something about this but didn't want to sound like the wager cop. And after looking at the dollar amounts for past WC players, this didn't seem all that egregious. She could've been a little more aggressive and improved her chances somewhat, but what she did wasn't terrible.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

True North wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:24 pm Glad he enjoys Mark Stone, my team basically gave him to Vegas at the trade deadline last year and I’m still not over it.
Your team wasn't going to re-sign Stone, so I think the Senators made out pretty well for trading a "rental player". That said, didn't Stone sign an extension with Vegas about 10 minutes after he was traded?
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

For "ALL" IN $200, I said "stonewall"; can I get a judges ruling on that?