Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY ART

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A derisive description of the shape of the houses in the 1908 painting “Houses at l’Estaque” gave this art style its name

Josh Hill: 12200-1603=10597
Eric R. Backes: 13000-5000=8000
Emma Boettcher: 23800+0=23800 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
cubism (Josh – minimalism) (Eric – art deco)

Daily Doubles
Emma: 600+1000
Emma: 14200+4000
Eric: 7400+3600

Coryats
Josh: 12200
Eric: 10200
Emma: 20400

Combined: 42,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josh: 4200
Eric: 3000
Emma: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was a gold level match and they tore through the material so well that it left time for a full credits run at the end.

Great game by Emma as she led at break one, DD1, end of J! round, DD2, DD3, going into the FJ! round and best of all for her, after the FJ! round. It was validation for Emma & the producers making her part of the field.

Awful spot for the gentlemen with 13000 & 12200, especially if art is not their thing, as the scores dictated (though not mandated) that something needed to be wagered.

16800 and 14000 are in as WC scores with 13601 & 10597 having to sweat out one more game. This is why you have sequestration as otherwise the guys tomorrow would know what to do and what not to do for the FJ! round.

If Rachel's score holds up then she can ink in a match with James as the powers would not give Emma to James (or vice versa) before the finals and James already played Lindsey. Eric is already done and looking at semis alternate at best.

The FJ! clue had me doubling messing up as I thought of the right thing and went past it in not getting a sense of "derisive" from it. Next I outsmarted myself in recalling what others have noticed as well with a theme of the M-W correct responses having a beginning letter pattern.

Avoiding a blank page, I wrote mannerism, which I rightly figured was earlier. Way earlier as it turns out. I would have been better off writing Matisse-ism. If the FJ! clue had been written a different way in looking for the Frenchman's name I could have handled that. It did not occur to me that thinking Spanish and seeing French was all the trick there was to solving the clue.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Kudos to Eric for the aggressive wager, but it's certainly possible that Josh will sneak into the SFs with a much more conservative one. Does fortune favor the bold? Tune in tomorrow.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Is the rematch between James and Emma going to be in one of the semifinals or have the producers decided to hold that for the finals?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 pm Is the rematch between James and Emma going to be in one of the semifinals or have the producers decided to hold that for the finals?
Is this a producer-driven decision?

I haven't looked at the scores yet, and we obviously have Friday TBA, but I always assumed 1-3 automatically got "seeded" the champion's podium (and the advantage of not having to play each other in the semis) - or at the very least the five QF champs. Although it does create a good question of how you'd determine seeding anyway - do you go by the ToC quarterfinal game alone, putting a value on having a high score? That would give an unfair advantage when a DJ! round ends 16000-15000, meaning someone could get 30000+, while someone who leads FJ! 20000-9000 couldn't reasonably improve their score by more than 1999. Do you retain pre-tourney seeding, to ensure that contestants with phenomenal past performances like James always get to play lower seeds like 4x winners?

Now that I've talked through it, it DOES sound reasonable and likely that it would be a producer-driven decision, relying on art more than raw math.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Francois said on Reddit that for the first round, producers separated the three Georgia contestants and all contestants who taped on the same day (James/Emma, James/Steven) so it seems likely the same principle would hold for semifinals.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:55 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 pm Is the rematch between James and Emma going to be in one of the semifinals or have the producers decided to hold that for the finals?
Is this a producer-driven decision?

I haven't looked at the scores yet, and we obviously have Friday TBA, but I always assumed 1-3 automatically got "seeded" the champion's podium (and the advantage of not having to play each other in the semis) - or at the very least the five QF champs. Although it does create a good question of how you'd determine seeding anyway - do you go by the ToC quarterfinal game alone, putting a value on having a high score? That would give an unfair advantage when a DJ! round ends 16000-15000, meaning someone could get 30000+, while someone who leads FJ! 20000-9000 couldn't reasonably improve their score by more than 1999. Do you retain pre-tourney seeding, to ensure that contestants with phenomenal past performances like James always get to play lower seeds like 4x winners?

Now that I've talked through it, it DOES sound reasonable and likely that it would be a producer-driven decision, relying on art more than raw math.
How the matches for the semis are decided is not something that is divulged other than a general response of wanting good matches.

In 2017 (1 is highest score and 5 is lowest) it was:

W2 vs. WC2 vs. WC3
W1 vs. W3 vs. W5
W4 vs. WC1 vs. WC4

For 2019 6 spots are claimed and 3 are yet to be finalized. You can work out whatever formula you want that will be used or should be used and count on having something wrong. Post your guess after tomorrow's game and then compare when the matches get released.

At this point you can expect that James won't play Lindsey. And Gilbert won't play Kyle. What can happen is a match with three QF winners and/or a match with three wildcards.

For podium position James will be at the champ's spot and Emma will be at the champ's spot. It's score in the QF round that sets it.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

After the Jeopardy Keywords category, we should probably check on TPH to make sure he's okay.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

The producers will almost certainly do whatever maximizes the odds of James/Emma in the finals. I would expect that, subject to a couple of seemingly hard rules (no QF rematches in the SFs, and attempt at gender distribution), Emma will get one of the softer draws they could give her, James will be protected a little as well, and the third game will be a bloodbath. That was my TOC - we suspected they wanted me and Larissa in the final, and put three of the toughest other contestants in the third (phenomenal) semifinal.

Of course they’ve both still got to win the game, and Emma just blew through one of the hardest non-James QF draws imaginable so no question she could beat anyone they throw at her. But that would be my guess.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

pdano wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm The producers will almost certainly do whatever maximizes the odds of James/Emma in the finals. I would expect that, subject to a couple of seemingly hard rules (no QF rematches in the SFs, and attempt at gender distribution), Emma will get one of the softer draws they could give her, James will be protected a little as well, and the third game will be a bloodbath. That was my TOC - we suspected they wanted me and Larissa in the final, and put three of the toughest other contestants in the third (phenomenal) semifinal.

Of course they’ve both still got to win the game, and Emma just blew through one of the hardest non-James QF draws imaginable so no question she could beat anyone they throw at her. But that would be my guess.
That was one legendary match, Aaron stuck it out despite gutsy wagering from Mark and Ben.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

pdano wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm The producers will almost certainly do whatever maximizes the odds of James/Emma in the finals. I would expect that, subject to a couple of seemingly hard rules (no QF rematches in the SFs, and attempt at gender distribution), Emma will get one of the softer draws they could give her, James will be protected a little as well, and the third game will be a bloodbath. That was my TOC - we suspected they wanted me and Larissa in the final, and put three of the toughest other contestants in the third (phenomenal) semifinal.

At this point I am having a ball reading all of the predictions. I have just a few more days of being in the know, and I'm loving it! :)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

RobW wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:57 pm]

At this point I am having a ball reading all of the predictions. I have just a few more days of being in the know, and I'm loving it! :)
After your loss, anything is possible. I won't even be surprised if Ryan wins tomorrow (hopefully, he will stay clam??).
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 pm
RobW wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:57 pm]

After your loss, anything is possible. I won't even be surprised if Ryan wins tomorrow (hopefully, he will stay clam??).
Oh I can't wait to see Ryan tomorrow. He has decent ability, but hoo boy the negs...we'll see if he's learned restraint. Or maybe he studied hard and can turn those negs into right answers.

Instaget FJ. The clue alone would've been enough, but it's also one of the ugliest paintings I've seen in my life, so this was a slam dunk.

ETA: perhaps I'm just thick: what was that J! keywords category about?! It seemed like a collection of completely unrelated clues.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

My first 4/4 on DD/FJ this ToC, but I got my butt whooped by DJ worse than I can remember in a long time. That negbait category was brutal.

Hopefully this game will silence all the Emma doubters. She is truly a top-shelf player.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:37 pm
ETA: perhaps I'm just thick: what was that J! keywords category about?! It seemed like a collection of completely unrelated clues.
Not the obvious answers for typical J! stuff. For example, the dairy state was California, etc.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

no guess on the final jeopardy clue...pizz on art
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:03 pm no guess on the final jeopardy clue...pizz on art
I looked up the painting. It looks like a weird salad of broccoli, brussels sprouts, and diced mangos.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat $32,200 (38R / 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:
LT: Hilton Head

This was pretty much the reverse of yesterday, struggled in round 1 then got a good board in round 2 (running TV and Schu really helped).

Loved the negbait category.

I may be in the minority, but I found FJ to be an instaget, how many art movements are named for shapes?

Emma was terrific, very glad she’s making a good run.