Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

If the rematch occurs, I hope James will prevail this time; I'd like him to win the whole thing, and maybe become the next Brad Rutter by going undefeated in tournament play, assuming he gets invited back to special tournaments in the foreseeable future.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53 pm If the rematch occurs, I hope James will prevail this time; I'd like him to win the whole thing, and maybe become the next Brad Rutter by going undefeated in tournament play, assuming he gets invited back to special tournaments in the foreseeable future.

Yawn. Do you ever post anything that isn't about James?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:39 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 pm I'm honestly surprised at how hard this FJ played. A 20th century art movement named after a description of a shape? WECIB?
Best I could come up with was surrealism.
For whatever reason, cubism never entered my mind -- and then I bruised my forehead at the reveal (again). Even though I associate it with architecture and not art, madly scribbled "bauhaus" at the end of time just to avoid leaving a blank.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:27 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53 pm If the rematch occurs, I hope James will prevail this time; I'd like him to win the whole thing, and maybe become the next Brad Rutter by going undefeated in tournament play, assuming he gets invited back to special tournaments in the foreseeable future.

Yawn. Do you ever post anything that isn't about James?
My bad. The thing is James has become my main favorite Jeopardy! contestant because I really admired his gameplay strategies (starting at the bottom of the board, going for the highest value clues first, aggressive wagering on Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy!), he holds the top sixteen spots for single-game winnings in regular play (twice he set the one-day record), and he accumulated almost the amount Ken Jennings won in a third of the time. I found it rather sad that he came up short of Ken's record for most winnings in regular play, and it's a rare occurrence to see someone become a multimillionaire on Jeopardy!

And at the beginning of this season, we saw Jason Zuffranieri trying to emulate James, and even Alex made comparisons between the two.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:41 am
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 am You don't need to correct people who know they were wrong.
+1
Particularly with unhelpful information.
I thought it was helpful and interesting. And I didn't see it as a correction. I can see saying it needed a little more social grace. (Something like "Ouch! Yeah, 55 and 99 years too early respectively" maybe?) But come on.
Really?!? Saying that related guys with the same first name and an "x"th after their name died in numerical order? Not helpful in the least.

Helpful would be information that helps identify one from the other, or adds some information about them, or anything at all that isn't a statement of the blatantly obvious.

Listen, I'm no super trivia buff. I enjoy watching the game and learning a bit. I like thinking about the strategy. I have no dreams of being on the show. When sharp people share their knowledge, I appreciate it. When they lord their superior recall of what, in the big picture, is trivial garbage over others, it starts to get to me. And it's gotten to me.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 pm When sharp people share their knowledge, I appreciate it. When they lord their superior recall of what, in the big picture, is trivial garbage over others, it starts to get to me. And it's gotten to me.
I don't read LSV's contributions (specifically the ones we're referring to) as lording anything over others, just as unhelpfully re-emphasizing why a wrong answer was wrong.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 pm When sharp people share their knowledge, I appreciate it. When they lord their superior recall of what, in the big picture, is trivial garbage over others, it starts to get to me. And it's gotten to me.
I don't read LSV's contributions (specifically the ones we're referring to) as lording anything over others, just as unhelpfully re-emphasizing why a wrong answer was wrong.
I'm pretty much on this same page as Sg, from a couple of trivia knowledge levels below. By all means, share insights about clues and misses and even poking a little fun is just great :). What I don't care about is context-less information - like the 99 years business.
Spoiler
This may be my personal peeve, I hate when news feeds say "The Dow is down" when it is 5 points lower than 26,000ish; or even "down 50 points" without stating the current level for people who didn't memorize yesterday's closing, etc..
Give me one of the freaking years or at least the century so I can get smarter or less dumber (and thanks for the color commentary). The boardies consume triviods like candy, so please keep it coming :!:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:47 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 pm
I'm pretty much on this same page as Sg, from a couple of trivia knowledge levels below. By all means, share insights about clues and misses and even poking a little fun is just great :). What I don't care about is context-less information - like the 99 years business.
Spoiler
This may be my personal peeve, I hate when news feeds say "The Dow is down" when it is 5 points lower than 26,000ish; or even "down 50 points" without stating the current level for people who didn't memorize yesterday's closing, etc..
Give me one of the freaking years or at least the century so I can get smarter or less dumber (and thanks for the color commentary). The boardies consume triviods like candy, so please keep it coming :!:
not a fan of that vixey dude...if we were only able to comment on completed quizzes over at alpaca...dude does horribly on the quizzes over there...we could point that out to him over there much like he does over here
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 pm Hopefully this game will silence all the Emma doubters. She is truly a top-shelf player.
I think a lot more of us were in the position that it was unfair to award Emma a spot in the ToC rather than being "Emma doubters." I think it was pretty clear Emma had the skill, but the standard for picking ToC participants has historically been number of games won, and she wouldn't have made it by that criterion. This position isn't critical of Emma, it's critical of the show's selection process (even if it's very clear why they'd want Emma in this tournament).
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:25 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 pm Hopefully this game will silence all the Emma doubters. She is truly a top-shelf player.
I think a lot more of us were in the position that it was unfair to award Emma a spot in the ToC rather than being "Emma doubters." I think it was pretty clear Emma had the skill, but the standard for picking ToC participants has historically been number of games won, and she wouldn't have made it by that criterion. This position isn't critical of Emma, it's critical of the show's selection process (even if it's very clear why they'd want Emma in this tournament).
Point taken, but it is up to the show's discretion who gets invited to the ToC. I think it's perfectly fair to invite her over other potential competitors who may have won more games but maybe had far lower average Coryats and didn't have to take down an all-time great player in arguably the best J! game ever played just to get to the left podium.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 pm I think it's perfectly fair to invite her over other potential competitors who may have won more games
That's where we disagree.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:52 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 pm I think it's perfectly fair to invite her over other potential competitors who may have won more games
Thought experiment: you are responsible for choosing ToC competitors. You're down to your last two slots.

Person A: 3x champion, beat a 30x champion, 35000 average Coryat. Lost 4th game by $200 to someone who went on to win 25 more games.

Person B: 5x champion. 4500 average Coryat. Won 5 horrendous, unwatchable games by being the only player to survive to FJ, and was 0/6 on FJs. In 6th game, finished in a distant third, losing to someone who went on to get throttled by a mediocre player in their next game.

Which one do you pick?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:02 pm
Thought experiment: you are responsible for choosing ToC competitors. You're down to your last two slots.

Person A: 3x champion, beat a 30x champion, 35000 average Coryat. Lost 4th game by $200 to someone who went on to win 25 more games.

Person B: 5x champion. 4500 average Coryat. Won 5 horrendous, unwatchable games by being the only player to survive to FJ, and was 0/6 on FJs. In 6th game, finished in a distant third, losing to someone who went on to get throttled by a mediocre player in their next game.

Which one do you pick?
Oh, that's easy. Neither one. Instead, I invite Ryan Fenster back to a second TOC because he's a hoot.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Not clear how one gets to be the only player to survive 2 fj5 x with a $4,500 average
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

floridagator wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:50 pm Not clear how one gets to be the only player to survive 2 fj5 x with a $4,500 average
In a thought experiment, anything is possible.

This person would have to have had the good fortune to face 10 very bad opponents. Highly improbable? For sure. But theoretically possible.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:24 pm
floridagator wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:50 pm Not clear how one gets to be the only player to survive 2 fj5 x with a $4,500 average
In a thought experiment, anything is possible.
Yeah, but what if it weren't?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

In college as a thought experiment I suggested to friends that somebody goes through the Jeopardy board and gets everything right and then finds the Daily Double on the 30th clue and Bets everything.

Some of those chowderheads refused to entertain that even as a thought experiment, and now James Holtzhour has practically done that.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I was in Kirk's camp when the original announcement was made, but I've come around. As long as every 5-time champion* eventually is invited to participate in a ToC, I'm OK with exceptions for this or that. I'm strongly rooting for a Francois-James-Emma final.

*Technically, Ken Jennings never was invited to play in a traditional ToC, but being seeded into the finals of the UToC would seem to be an acceptable alternative.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Which one do you pick?
Person B, obviously.

And I'm saying this ONLY because the show itself (I remember this from the green room briefing) says the first criterion for selecting ToC players is number of wins. Of course it's possible they've changed this since I was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was on team Bucktown. He signed me up for LL82 and has been a bit of a mentor to me in my attempt to be a J! contestant.

Ran Singers and Spanish/English Rhyme Time.

NHO San Juan Islands. What was the TOM there?

There as a Louis XVI?

There's another bugle melody called "Charge"? The only one I know of is this one.

Blanked on bruschetta.

Got all but $1,200 in both 5 Syllable Words and "Schu" Who.

0/5 on TV Taglines. NHO "Heroes".

Also 0/5 in Ghostwriters. I could've stared at $400 all day and never guessed "autobiography" since I thought it wanted a specific title.

Surprised this went only 1/3 because I got it right away.