Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf »

TOYS AND GAMES

A 5th-century BC Greek vase depicts a boy playing with one of these toys, popularized in the US in the 1920s and 1930s.
Spoiler
What is a yo-yo?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:50 am
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:32 am TV Settings

This "aerial" show is the only show to have been set in a US territory
Spoiler
The Flying Nun
Washington DC isn’ta territory?
debatable...some do say it is, but every geography i have ever taken does not include it...it is seen as a federal district more than a territory...i could change it to "unincorporated territory" to humour you, but i don't believe it is necessary, seeing it is pretty much acknowledged that the territories of usa are american samoa, guam, northern mariana islands, puerto rico, and us virgin islands
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 am TOYS AND GAMES

A 5th-century BC Greek vase depicts a boy playing with one of these toys, popularized in the US in the 1920s and 1930s.
Spoiler
What is a yo-yo?
A Radio Flyer Wagon?
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:12 am

Spoiler
The Flying Nun
debatable...some do say it is, but every geography i have ever taken does not include it...it is seen as a federal district more than a territory...i could change it to "unincorporated territory" to humour you, but i don't believe it is necessary, seeing it is pretty much acknowledged that the territories of usa are american samoa, guam, northern mariana islands, puerto rico, and us virgin islands
Even so, I think this needs something more to pin it better, as Puerto Rico certainly has locally produced (and set) TV shows. Even "...the only English-language show..." might leave a loophole.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xabe wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:39 am

Spoiler
The Flying Nun
Even so, I think this needs something more to pin it better, as Puerto Rico certainly has locally produced (and set) TV shows. Even "...the only English-language show..." might leave a loophole.
yeah you are right...mainland americentric thinking on my part....change to

This "aerial" show is the only major broadcast network show to have been set in a US territory

or

This "aerial" show is the only Hollywood produced show to have been set in a US territory
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 am

Spoiler
The Flying Nun

This "aerial" show is the only major broadcast network show to have been set in a US territory

or

This "aerial" show is the only Hollywood produced show to have been set in a US territory
to humor me does not equal to write a proper question--big difference, not that I would expect you to comprehend

however, the problem remains regarding territories as there are many broadcast US TV shows that took place in the old west, which means they were also set in US territories
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:54 am

or

to humor me does not equal to write a proper question--big difference, not that I would expect you to comprehend

however, the problem remains regarding territories as there are many broadcast US TV shows that took place in the old west, which means they were also set in US territories
wow dude....you really are a nitpicker...add non-mainland territory, oh anal one...and seeing you will probably say there could have been a show that took place in hawaii or other former territories off the mainland...will add "series set"...which will override the chance that one episode took place in said land...and while we are at it, maybe just change the whole thing to "set in a current US territory"

so let's just do that

"This "aerial" show is the only major broadcast network series to have been set in a current US territory

and i am not budging on what a territory is...most geography people will say washington dc is not a territory and from a trivia standpoint it is never considered a territory, but a federal district
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Since you guys are having so much fun then make a case to include/exclude McHale's Navy.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:03 pm

or

wow dude....you really are a nitpicker...add non-mainland territory, oh anal one...and seeing you will probably say there could have been a show that took place in hawaii or other former territories off the mainland...will add "series set"...which will override the chance that one episode took place in said land...and while we are at it, maybe just change the whole thing to "set in a current US territory"

so let's just do that

"This "aerial" show is the only major broadcast network series to have been set in a current US territory

and i am not budging on what a territory is...most geography people will say washington dc is not a territory and from a trivia standpoint it is never considered a territory, but a federal district
It’s called pinning, not nitpicking; but good on you for proving you can’t comprehend the difference
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:13 pm Since you guys are having so much fun then make a case to include/exclude McHale's Navy.
show was set on a fictional island called taratupa, so the show is easy to dismiss
Last edited by CasketRomance on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:16 pm

or

so let's just do that

It’s called pinning, not nitpicking; but good on you for proving you can’t comprehend the difference
they are fricking trivia questions...not ironclad corporate world contracts...are you a lawyer or something?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:21 pm

or

so let's just do that

they are fricking trivia questions...not ironclad corporate world contracts...are you a lawyer or something?
Not my fault you don’t know how to write a proper question
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:51 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:21 pm

so let's just do that

Not my fault you don’t know how to write a proper question

you should go edit the wikipedia page for american tv series locations...i edited several entries on that page today...not going to bother with that...going to leave the blurb about that nugget the way it is
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

FICTIONAL PRODUCTS

The name of this product, introduced in 1952, is a portmanteau of four of its ingredients; however, a fifth ingredient proves the most memorable.
Spoiler
What is VitaMeataVegaMin? (Fifth ingredient - alcohol!)

I know "ingredients" might not be the best word, but it seemed more helpful to call them ingredients than "components".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:35 pm FICTIONAL PRODUCTS

The name of this product, introduced in 1952, is a portmanteau of four of its ingredients; however, a fifth ingredient proves the most memorable.
Spoiler

I know "ingredients" might not be the best word, but it seemed more helpful to call them ingredients than "components".
Good one! I gave myself 30 seconds, more or less, and then frantically guessed:
Spoiler
soylent green

I knew that was too late for 1952, even if it came from the Harry Harrison novel on which the film was loosely based. (Turns out it did. So I had that going for me, which is nice.) Make Room! Make Room! was the title of the novel and it came out in 1966. In both novel and film, "soylent" only comprises two ingredients--soy and lentil. Still, not bad for a desperation guess of a portmanteau word for a fictional product where the unnamed ingredient is the important one. In fact, the wording in your clue could be adapted to point to soylent green and I think that would also make an excellent FJ. Adapted to make them more quickly gettable, both clues would great in a FICTIONAL FOOD & DRINK category.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

COINCIDENCES

These two Americans, a novelist (1832–1888) & a composer (1854–1932), both died on the sixth day of, appropriately enough, the month of March
Spoiler
Who are Louisa May Alcott and John Philip Sousa?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:07 pm COINCIDENCES

These two Americans, a novelist (1832–1888) & a composer (1854–1932), both died on the sixth day of, appropriately enough, the month of March
Spoiler
I guessed George Eliot for the novelist because of Middlemarch.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:58 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:35 pm FICTIONAL PRODUCTS

Spoiler

Good one! I gave myself 30 seconds, more or less, and then frantically guessed:
Spoiler
soylent green

I knew that was too late for 1952, even if it came from the Harry Harrison novel on which the film was loosely based. (Turns out it did. So I had that going for me, which is nice.) Make Room! Make Room! was the title of the novel and it came out in 1966. In both novel and film, "soylent" only comprises two ingredients--soy and lentil. Still, not bad for a desperation guess of a portmanteau word for a fictional product where the unnamed ingredient is the important one. In fact, the wording in your clue could be adapted to point to soylent green and I think that would also make an excellent FJ. Adapted to make them more quickly gettable, both clues would great in a FICTIONAL FOOD & DRINK category.
Spoiler
Well, technically speaking, soylent green contains neither soy nor lentils as ingredients (anymore)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UPDUpjkHg0

That's actually a really cool wrong answer - I tinkered around with the word "memorable" at the end of the clue, first going for "humorous" and then "potent". Both of those would have nudged away from soylent green, while "memorable" actually nudges TOWARD it. It's interesting that when you write questions, it's WECIB, but when they go out...sometimes it could (almost) be something else!

I purposely made the category broadly "fictional" instead of "television", since TV + very early 50s + humor + "in the J! sphere" would lead to Lucy pretty quickly. I also thought of asking for the show instead of the product, but again, the year would make it easy to guess without even landing on the tonic.

In your "FICTIONAL FOOD & DRINK" category, I'd probably reverse the clue/response - VitaMeataVegaMin is a lot to spit out in 5 seconds. Either go from the product to the show/actress...or maybe "VMVM contains 23% of this, giving a comic effect".
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Spoiler
Well I was going to add a "3-named" ToM but then I suppose you would have guessed Mary Ann Evans! :P
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Spoiler
The clue said "Americans".
Douglas Squasoni