Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by reddpen »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm That was a TOC FJ? I would expect that to be a trigger in a college tournament. Surprised at the number of posters who already said they missed it. :o
maybe not all of us are tournament of champions material...never heard of that character before
George Saunders as Shere Khan would like a word. (You'll need to click again on the page to get the full effect, but I think it's worthwhile.)
In and out of the pool four times
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My wife gave one of the greatest all-time wrong answers for this FJ: Oedipus Rex (OediPUSS REX = tiger king). I mean other than being 2,000+ years off on the date it's sort of a brilliant answer! :)
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Calling it now: The finals will be a matchup between James Holzhauer, Emma Boettcher and Francois Barcomb.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 31,400
45 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Junior Achievement, (The College Board)

Great game by Francois. For all of the expectations that James is going to steamroll the field, I think we could be in for a phenomenal second week of this tournament.

Three big DJ! negs worth a total $-5600 and a miss on the Davy Crockett DD (I was sure he died much later) made this a rough game for me. Apropos of nothing, I am reminded of my favorite Crockett quote: "You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."

Having long ago been a Cub Scout and having seen both Disney versions of The Jungle Book, I knew exactly where to go with this FJ!
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:35 am My wife gave one of the greatest all-time wrong answers for this FJ: Oedipus Rex (OediPUSS REX = tiger king). I mean other than being 2,000+ years off on the date it's sort of a brilliant answer! :)
This is magnificent.
Sprinkles are for winners.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

ToC minisite seems to show an image of one of our SF matchups.
I don't think there's actually a spoiler here, but just in case
With Emma (W3), Dhruv (W4) and Kyle (WC2) in that image that would likely leave:

James (W2) / Steven (WC1) / Rachel (WC4)
Francois (W1) / Lindsey (WC3) / Gilbert (W5)

Of course, nothing has been confirmed yet, but these seem like fairly balanced matchups if they played out like this.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 am ToC minisite seems to show an image of one of our SF matchups.
With Emma (W3), Dhruv (W4) and Kyle (WC2) in that image that would likely leave:

Of course, nothing has been confirmed yet, but these seem like fairly balanced matchups if they played out like this.
Spoiler
why would francois gets a winner and 1 wildcard and holzhauer gets 2 wildcards? francois prevailed as high scorer after the quarterfinals...
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:04 am What I expect is:
Gilbert vs. Steven vs. Lindsey
Francois vs. Emma vs. Dhruv
James vs. Kyle vs Rachel
Francois vs. Emma vs. Dhruv would be a bare-knuckle brawl and if this comes to pass I predict it will be the most gripping game of the tournament.

I know many people are on the James train but I think Francois and Drhuv could pull an upset (and Emma has already done so). The problem is that they would likely have to pull an upset two games in a row and I don't see that happening.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

reddpen wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:59 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm That was a TOC FJ? I would expect that to be a trigger in a college tournament. Surprised at the number of posters who already said they missed it. :o
maybe not all of us are tournament of champions material...never heard of that character before
George Saunders as Shere Khan would like a word. (You'll need to click again on the page to get the full effect, but I think it's worthwhile.)
I got FJ no problem, but in my head I was seeing a black panther, not a bengal tiger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 am ToC minisite seems to show an image of one of our SF matchups.

That has to be a shot from a game and not rehearsals, with Alex there. We better hope that is one of the semis as over the run of the show J! has more than once on its own spoiled tourney results with a badly-time image shared. Imagine for a second that the official line-up for the semis is posted and that grouping is not one of them? Nah, can't be. The players are in correct order based on QF scores.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:08 am

That has to be a shot from a game and not rehearsals, with Alex there. We better hope that is one of the semis as over the run of the show J! has more than once on its own spoiled tourney results with a badly-time image shared. Imagine for a second that the official line-up for the semis is posted and that grouping is not one of them? Nah, can't be. The players are in correct order based on QF scores.
Thought:
Spoiler
Francois / James / Rachel
Emma / Dhruv / Kyle
Steven / Gilbert / Lindsey
also fits.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Spoiler
I agree that your posited matchups for the other 2 SFs are the only ones that make sense. TPTB would be too motivated to protect James's path to the finals to put him against Francois in semis.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I was grateful for it -- it saved me an oh-fer on TOC FJs so far.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:53 pm
I was grateful for it -- it saved me an oh-fer on TOC FJs so far.
YMMV. I hadn't read or seen The Jungle Book since I was a kid, and although I got to that book, the best I could manage for a guess was Mowgli, just to say something. I had forgotten this clue that just appeared this past March:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ungle+book

($1600 in LITERARY ANTAGONISTS).

And this was the only FJ I missed this week. So it goes . . . I need to bone up on The Jungle Book because J! does ask about it with great frequency.

I had an annoying neg with Junior Achievers for Junior Achievement.

So, this Francois guy is pretty good. I knew that from his domination in the Teachers Tournament, but he was still very impressive against high-level competition in this game. It was a notch below James's QF performance - James had a Coryat $5,600 higher, and Francois can't match James on the signaling device. Also, the $800-level DD that Francois racked up 8G's on (and big props to him for making that wager) was way easier than the $2,000 one that James landed on in his DJ round. James certainly would have known Adriatic Sea, and I doubt his DD wager would have been as risk-averse for a second-box clue, compared to the $1,109 he risked on the DD in his match.

James, Francois, and Emma were clearly the 3 best players this week. We'll see if that also holds true in the semifinal round. My bracket's already busted, since I had James, Emma, and Eric going to the final round.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Junior Achievement, *College Board*, (Davy Crockett)
Douglas Squasoni
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 pm
Previous usage:
#7957, aired 2019-03-26 LITERARY ANTAGONISTS $1600: This "Jungle Book" tiger schemes to defeat the wolf pack & claim the life of young Mowgli

J! likes Kipling, his works and his characters

Zendaya came up about a year ago. J! has yet to use her HBO show, Euphoria.
why was she a top box? never heard of her..kesha probably should have been the top box...i mean...how many celebrities used the dollar sign in their name?
She is more widely known after appearing in The Greatest Showman, a movie that made a mint and whose songs remain annoyingly ridiculous. As for Shere Khan, have you not seen the 1967 Disney animated movie that happened to be the last one in which Walt was materially involved before his death? It gave us "The Bear Necessities," one of the most ubiquitous of all Disney songs.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO Zendaya

Couldn't get it going in J! Categories just were all in my hammerhouse except for Newer Words & Phrases, which I ran.

Anyone chicken out on Davy Crockett as too easy for a $1,600 DD in a TOC?

Queen utterly sucks. I would rather impale myself on my buzzer than say Brian May's name onstage.

NHO Robby Krieger.

What was the TOM for Hendrix on Rock for $400?

I got as far as "that lion from The Jungle Book" but couldn't pull the name, which rings no bells for me anyway.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 pm What was the TOM for Hendrix on Rock for $400?
"burning it up at Monterey Pop": he literally set his guitar on fire at that festival.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:32 pm

YMMV. I hadn't read or seen The Jungle Book since I was a kid, and although I got to that book, the best I could manage for a guess was Mowgli, just to say something. I had forgotten this clue that just appeared this past March:
My wife also said Mowgli. (I instagot it; I admit to being one of those who's surprised so many here have missed it.)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:33 pm Note that "Black Holes and Revelations" is the title of an album by the rock band Muse.
And a very fine album indeed it is.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 pm What was the TOM for Hendrix on Rock for $400?
"burning it up at Monterey Pop": he literally set his guitar on fire at that festival.
That whole category was way too boomer-centric IMO.