Monday, November 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by threearruda »

#TeamEmma. Fantastic game.

Mom blurted out the right FJ response about 7 seconds in so I have no clue if I get there on my own. I'll count it *shrug*. WTG Dhruv for the shoutout.

I owe Kyle an apology as I (and likely others) severely doubted his chances. Major props for great play in both games, and for nearly pulling out the win today.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I think I'm watching this ToC through a bit of denial. I don't know what/how much behind-the-scenes magic it took, if any, for Alex to make it through the tournament, but I'm not noticing any ill effects.

I may have shouted something like "F@¢#, yeah!" when Emma's response was revealed. Although I liked the other contestants, apparently I was rooting hard for Emma. Kyle, as a music teacher, lost a few points with me for not knowing Smetana composed The Moldau--that's pretty well-known.

I got FJ! and thought the writers found a good level of difficulty for the clue.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

death metal and no cannibal corpse? pretty lame

i guess none of them saw the jessica alba movie "the sleeping dictionary" since they couldn't tie sarawak in the flag clue to malaysia

moldau? never heard of it...had they gone with vltava, then i would have got smetana....btw...trebek went with the lame north american pronunciation of semetana and not the local pronunciation as he always does...for some reason he hates asian and eastern euro languages
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 pm French history, politics, sports, flags? Yeah, expect a low Coryat from me today.

However, I ran King James Bible.

Didn't recognize anything in Generic except "Final Fantasy".

How the... I have no freaking clue. Correct response is not in my database at all.

Lach Trash: ostentatious
no negbait with "can i get one?" i was going to say amen and changed to witness when i saw the ending of the clue
Last edited by CasketRomance on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

John Boy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pm I second the motion re Emma and James. I picked her to win this game when I saw the matchup, and she didn't disappoint.

For me the highlights of the game: LT on writ of certiori, Blaise Pascal, and Bedrick Smetana, plus (not a TS but a tough one if I say so myself) knowing the full name of diabetes mellitus. Oh yeah...also Arkansas for producing diamonds and not-quite-instaget on FJ but a get nonetheless.

Congrats and thanks to all three. I second Dhruv's message, as I'm sure many here do.

PS I just realized that my beloved Cleveland Browns will be playing the Steelers on Thursday night, meaning likely a preemption, damn it all!
why would that game matter for preemption and not any of the others so far this year?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Not a get on FJ!. Stupidly Leeroy Jenkinsed with my answer of "West was won" and flipped forward on the DVR, because WECIB when you're completing that phrase? Well, ICB "other half lives". NHO the book, just the phrase. The date might have clued me in - but maybe the book was about how poverty in New York pushed people West 50 years ago?

I knew Lafyette, but got tongue-tied as usual. Got as far as "that guy from Hamilton who becomes Jefferson in Act 2". Same for John Nash...I even had the first name John, the movie "A Beautiful Mind", and Russell Crowe, all before the buzzer - but I lost my equilibrium.

A lot of answers killed by my tongue. Blurted out "Articles of Confederacy" instead of "Confederation". Oops. Didn't have the "with" part of the ADA - just said "Americans Disability Act". And got smacked by the "innoculate" question with "vaccinate" because I wasn't counting vowels.

A great match between Emma and Kyle. Looking forward to tomorrow, of course...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:47 pm no negbait with "can i get a..."? i was going to say amen and changed to witness when i saw the ending of the clue
I thought the last word of the Bible being "Amen" was somewhat well known, but apparently not.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 pm Without the hint, I'm guessing no chance in the world.
Pretty much.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:49 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pm I second the motion re Emma and James. I picked her to win this game when I saw the matchup, and she didn't disappoint.

For me the highlights of the game: LT on writ of certiori, Blaise Pascal, and Bedrick Smetana, plus (not a TS but a tough one if I say so myself) knowing the full name of diabetes mellitus. Oh yeah...also Arkansas for producing diamonds and not-quite-instaget on FJ but a get nonetheless.

Congrats and thanks to all three. I second Dhruv's message, as I'm sure many here do.

PS I just realized that my beloved Cleveland Browns will be playing the Steelers on Thursday night, meaning likely a preemption, damn it all!
why would that game matter for preemption and not any of the others so far this year?
Maybe there's a preemption for a team-related show? The CBS station in Boston preempts J! every Friday when the Patriots play on Sunday/Monday, and on Wednesday when they play Thursday, even though the NFL (almost) never plays on Friday or Wednesday. For the ToC, they actually both move J! to 2:35 AM and show J! on their sister station at the normal 7:30 time.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:47 pm no negbait with "can i get a..."? i was going to say amen and changed to witness when i saw the ending of the clue
I thought the last word of the Bible being "Amen" was somewhat well known, but apparently not.
but they threw in the negbait of "now can i get one?" can i get a witness is a very common phrase...can i get an amen? perhaps that is one as well, but witness seems like the more obvious one, seeing boetcher said it as well...plus it was the bottom box clue...i am not up on the various versions of the bible...generally speaking yeah i have heard amen being the last word, but no idea if it was specific to one bible or not...plus like i said..bottom box and they put a gimme there? yeah they did because they added the negbait...you love screaming negbait when there really isn't any, but you don't see there being negbait in this case?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:47 pm
no negbait with "can i get a..."? i was going to say amen and changed to witness when i saw the ending of the clue
The "can i get a..." got 'what what' stuck in my head, so I was forced to clam.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 pm
but they threw in the negbait of "now can i get one?" can i get a witness is a very common phrase...can i get an amen? perhaps that is one as well, but witness seems like the more obvious one, seeing boetcher said it as well...plus it was the bottom box clue...i am not up on the various versions of the bible...generally speaking yeah i have heard amen being the last word, but no idea if it was specific to one bible or not...plus like i said..bottom box and they put a gimme there? yeah they did because they added the negbait...you love screaming negbait when there really isn't any, but you don't see there being negbait in this case?
I ran the "math guys" category except for the first clue, so I tend to avoid using the row of the question as a gauge of difficulty prospectively.

Now, retrospectively, I do it all the time. "Of course, it's a bottom row question. Why did I guess 'Romeo and Juliet' when I should have guessed 'Troilus and Cressida'?"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

can the person who makes the 4th podium poll add something like "i have heard of death metal or before" or "i have listened to morbid angel or obituary before"?
davey

Post by davey »

Anybody else wonder of they'd have accepted reinterment instead of exhumed? Probably not, because I haven't found any mention that Bruckner attended the second part of the process, when Beethoven moved to a different cemetery...But yet, the first part was mainly to accomplish the 2d...They weren't trying to find out if he was murdered, or anything...

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/post/dans ... y#stream/0

That 3200 would have had a big impact on my game, which was mostly catch-up with these clues tonight...
Though I'm familiar with Jacob Riis, I'm not sure if I would have remembered his book title without the big hint!
I'd like to see Emma take this thing...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pmFor me the highlights of the game: LT on writ of certiori,
Not if you spelled/pronounced it that way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was not until seeing the comment on Reddit that I realized Pam & Brad (far left) were in the audience. They of course have the right connections to get VIP seating.

I called the screen shot pb&J.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm moldau? never heard of it...had they gone with vltava, then i would have got smetana....
Vltava is the title Smetana gave it. But it became commonly known by its German translation Die Moldau for some reason. It's a lovely piece and fairly conductor-proof. I don't know that I've ever heard a bad performance of it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Couldn't whoever answered Death Metal have done it in the proper voice? :twisted:
Didn't Pascal come up before as a TS?
Easy FJ.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:31 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pmFor me the highlights of the game: LT on writ of certiori,
Not if you spelled/pronounced it that way.
Would just "cert" have been accepted for certiorari? I'm not sure I would have risked bungling the pronunciation of the full word, but I knew it was a "writ of cert," which is a pretty common phrasing of it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Does anyone else wish they'd used another word besides "ostentatious" in WORDS THAT USE ALL 5 VOWELS? It seems a shame to start the category with a six-vowel word when all the other responses had exactly five.