Fourth Podium Poll for 11/11/2019 - Monday TOC (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers, missed DD, and other negs did you get?

$1000 FLAGS: The red & white stripes on the flag of this Asian country represent the states of the federation, including Sarawak
26%
$1000 GOVERNMENT & POLITICS: The Supreme Court can request a lower court to send up the records of a case for review by issuing or granting a writ of this
40%
$1000 WHAT'S HER SPORT?: Robin Roberts, in her college days (though her scholarship was for tennis)
53%
$600 WHAT'S HER SPORT?: Ali Krieger & Ashlyn Harris
38%
$400 WHAT'S HER SPORT?: Twins Monique & Jocelyne Lamoureux
34%
$200 WORDS THAT USE ALL 5 VOWELS: This adjective means showy & intended to impress
34%
$1200 MATH GUYS: A 1970s computer language is named for this Frenchman who invented a 1640s calculating machine
67%
$2000 NON COMPOSE MENTIS: He died in an insane asylum not far from the Moldau, the river he immortalized in an 1875 work
19%
$1600 A GENERIC TITLE: In this movie Robert de Niro kidnaps Jerry Lewis
36%
$800 A TRUE STORY: A gopher is on the cover of the book titled this comedy film: "The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story" (Kyle rang in but could only say, "Oh, oh. Oh, no. Oh, no.")
75%
DD1 in $600 FLAGS spot (Kyle wagered $1800): The diamond shape on its flag references the fact that it was the only diamond-producing U.S. state
64%
DD2 in $1600 MATH GUYS spot (Dhruv wagered $2000): The subject of a 2001 film, this mathematician won a 1994 Nobel Prize in Economics
81%
NOT A TS $1000 THE KING JAMES BIBLE SAYETH...: You say you want a revelation? Truly, verily, it's the very last word in that book; now can I get one?
69%
NOT A TS $800 THE KING JAMES BIBLE SAYETH...: This book namechecks itself in the very first line: These sayings of "the son of David"
51%
NOT A TS $800 REAL NAMES ON THE MARQUIS: Concino Concini, AKA the Marquis d'Ancre, was shot to death on the drawbridge of this palace (now a museum) on the right bank of the Seine
43%
I did not get any of these
No votes

Total votes: 88

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 11/11/2019 - Monday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Many thanks to Mark Barrett for getting this game in the archive so speedily. This poll might not have happened without his dedication. Ten (count 'em) TEN triple stumpers, a couple of missed DDs, and four negs that I decided to throw in.

Well, I threw in three of them in the poll. If I'd thrown in the fourth, there'd be no room for the box of shame. (Polls are limited to 16 questions.)

So here's the final neg for the sake of completeness:

$1200 EXPRESSIONS & IDIOMS: Let's act aggressively on an issue & "play" this, another word for the national pastime
CORRECT RESPONSES
$1000 FLAGS: Malaysia
$1000 GOVERNMENT & POLITICS: certiorari
$1000 WHAT'S HER SPORT?: basketball
$600 WHAT'S HER SPORT?: soccer
$400 WHAT'S HER SPORT?: hockey
$200 WORDS THAT USE ALL 5 VOWELS: ostentatious
$1200 MATH GUYS: Blaise Pascal
$2000 NON COMPOSE MENTIS: Bedřich Smetana
$1600 A GENERIC TITLE: The King of Comedy
$800 A TRUE STORY: Caddyshack
DD1 in $600 FLAGS spot (Kyle wagered $1800): Arkansas (Kyle guessed West Virginia)
DD2 in $1600 MATH GUYS spot (Dhruv wagered $2000): John Nash (Dhruv guessed Friedman)
NOT A TS $1000 THE KING JAMES BIBLE SAYETH...: Amen (Emma negged with "witness", Kyle got it on the rebound)
NOT A TS $800 THE KING JAMES BIBLE SAYETH...: Proverbs (Dhruv negged with Psalms, Kyle got it on the rebound)
NOT A TS $800 REAL NAMES ON THE MARQUIS: the Louvre (Dhruv guessed Versailles, Kyle got it on the rebound)
NOT A TS $1200 EXPRESSIONS & IDIOMS: hardball (Kyle tried "ball" and "baseball", Emma got it on the rebound)
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 11/11/2019 - Monday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

$5,200 to the good in trash less $2000 lost guessing Chopin. Got the missed DDs.

The De Niro film got a lot of recent mentions because some of Joker reminded people of it.

Blurted Psalms and last word of Revelation is standard trivia with no way the cutesy hint was going to distract me. At the church I attend there is a time to light candles and share prayer concerns. One regular congregation member always ends her time with, "Can I get an amen?"

James and Steven were probably muttering that the sports category was not in their semis.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :mrgreen: :? :? :mrgreen: :| :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:
$3800 + both DDs + $1800 on the rebound I guess?

Apparently we can't correct our responses cause I didn't check two boxes. I should've also checked Hockey and Arkansas.
Fixed!

Basketball and Soccer would've been DD gets but didn't feel confident pulling the trigger.
Last edited by Volante on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ostentatious, Pascal, Smetana, and Caddyshack were my Lach trash gets; I also got both missed DDs (and the third one, too!) and all four negs. I clammed on hockey.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Basketball, soccer, ostentatious, Pascal, Caddyshack*. I could not come up with Smetana; after pausing for a minute I said Berlioz but immediately knew that wasn't right and at that point I gave up.
Got both Arkansas and Nash.
Had both Amen and Proverbs, but had the Versailles neg. Also got hardball.

* I initially said Groundhog Day but realized my error while Kyle was trying to come up with the answer. I'm counting it.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

8400 includingthe amt wagered on the daily doubles
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:42 am :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
you got all of the sports correct?
LucarioSnooperVixey

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:44 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:42 am :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
you got all of the sports correct?
$400: French Sounding Names, Educated guess on Ice Hockey
$600: Names sounded familiar, Went with the obvious and said Soccer
$1000: College Sport, Educated guess on Basketball
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Quothed from the 2018 SHC:
Carpe Diem wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:18 pm Anyone who hasn't heard Ma Vlast in general and "The Moldau" specifically is missing out IMHO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6kqu2mk-Kw
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

$4,600, sort of, including a DD and Amen.

If you had a computer in your school in the 80s, you at least heard OF all those older languages - FORTRAN, PASCAL, C, C+, BASIC. We played around with BASIC and LOGO - I still think of programs as having line numbers like when using BASIC on my old Apple //c, and I remember drawing with the on-screen LOGO turtle.

Gopher to "Caddyshack" seemed fairly Pavlovian to me, but I could tell that Kyle -KNEW- the answer. Saw the movie once, and I liked it, but I definitely can't quote it endlessly - I just know the gopher is on the poster (or VHS cover, or DVD cover, or On Demand selection graphic). I'm sure Kyle was dying to say "that golf movie with Bill Murray", but didn't want a rebound.

I gave myself "John Nash", but admittedly, I did the exact same thing Kyle did. Yeah, I cheated. I had the title, I had the actor, I even had the first name, and I had "game theory". If I'd only remembered "Nash equilibrium" in J! time.

I ignored the "can I get one?" part of the clue for "Amen". Just went straight to the last word of the Bible.

I love hockey, and it's sad that women's hockey doesn't get the coverage that it should. Unfortunately, NHO the Lamoureux sisters - Hillary Knight or Denna Laing are the first two that come to my mind.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:44 am $4,600, sort of, including a DD and Amen.

If you had a computer in your school in the 80s, you at least heard OF all those older languages - FORTRAN, PASCAL, C, C+, BASIC. We played around with BASIC and LOGO - I still think of programs as having line numbers like when using BASIC on my old Apple //c, and I remember drawing with the on-screen LOGO turtle.

Gopher to "Caddyshack" seemed fairly Pavlovian to me, but I could tell that Kyle -KNEW- the answer. Saw the movie once, and I liked it, but I definitely can't quote it endlessly - I just know the gopher is on the poster (or VHS cover, or DVD cover, or On Demand selection graphic). I'm sure Kyle was dying to say "that golf movie with Bill Murray", but didn't want a rebound.

I gave myself "John Nash", but admittedly, I did the exact same thing Kyle did. Yeah, I cheated. I had the title, I had the actor, I even had the first name, and I had "game theory". If I'd only remembered "Nash equilibrium" in J! time.

I ignored the "can I get one?" part of the clue for "Amen". Just went straight to the last word of the Bible.

I love hockey, and it's sad that women's hockey doesn't get the coverage that it should. Unfortunately, NHO the Lamoureux sisters - Hillary Knight or Denna Laing are the first two that come to my mind.

was the first r rated movie that i saw...i was 7-8

i agree with your point on women's hockey...i was hoping to see shelley looney and cammi granato...both olympic gold medalists...i went to elementary school with looney and her brother
Last edited by CasketRomance on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Negged on flag with Indonesia, whose flag consists solely of a red and a white stripe
Would have to give my law degree back if I didn't know certiorari
Got basketball
Clammed on soccer
Forgot that the category wasn't exclusively about women's collegiate sports, so I clammed on the hockey players
Got ostentatious just in time to ring in before Alex called time
Got Pascal
Would have gone Dvorak on a DD, but no way was I going to ring in
No clue on the de Niro/Lewis movie
Got Caddyshack
Got Arkansas
Got Nash
Ran the Bible category
Negged with Versailles
Got hardball

$4200 in LT - $2200 in negs + correct responses on the two missed DDs and FJ!
Sprinkles are for winners.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

$5600 in LT, but missed the diamond DD and 4 negs worth $2800 in there. Casting no stones here, as the King James Bible might say.

Dhruv kept going to the math category, but it wasn't kind to him.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

I got basketball, ostentatious, Smetana, Arkansas, John Nash, Amen, and Proverbs.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:14 am Quothed from the 2018 SHC:
Carpe Diem wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:18 pm Anyone who hasn't heard Ma Vlast in general and "The Moldau" specifically is missing out IMHO:
Thanks for this. Smetana, the subject of the hardest clue according to this poll, isn't totally obscure, with dozens of Archive name-drops, but I thought this clue was pretty hard unless you happened to know that particular work, or the tidbit about his death in an insane asylum.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Nash is currently polling the highest? Wouldn't have expected that. I remembered the movie, but couldn't pull the subject's name.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:02 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:14 am Quothed from the 2018 SHC:
Thanks for this. Smetana, the subject of the hardest clue according to this poll, isn't totally obscure, with dozens of Archive name-drops, but I thought this clue was pretty hard unless you happened to know that particular work, or the tidbit about his death in an insane asylum.
I knew from the river that the composer had to be Czech, but I said Dvorak
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:44 am If you had a computer in your school in the 80s, you at least heard OF all those older languages - FORTRAN, PASCAL, C, C+, BASIC. We played around with BASIC and LOGO - I still think of programs as having line numbers like when using BASIC on my old Apple //c, and I remember drawing with the on-screen LOGO turtle.
There wasn't room in this poll for "I have programmed in Pascal" or I'd be checking that box. I first learned (self-taught) BASIC with line numbers and couldn't imagine how one could get along without them. Then I got an implementation of structured BASIC (i.e. without line numbers) and took to it in seconds. It was immediately obvious that line numbers were a crutch and a distraction and a waste of valuable time. I couldn't imagine going back to them and to the ridiculous RENUM command for when you ran out of space because the next numbered line was only 10 away and you wanted to insert 11 lines. The alternative, of course was to insert a GOTO 5000, type all the lines you want and then type GOTO [whatever line number came after the one with GOTO 5000] and soldier on. What a mess. What a pain. Good riddance.