Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:59 pm There's another bugle melody called "Charge"? The only one I know of is this one.
There's only one and the one you linked is not it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:59 pm There's another bugle melody called "Charge"? The only one I know of is this one.
Not sure if yanking my chain or not...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:04 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 pm
Not sure if yanking my chain or not...
I'm not. The one you linked is not a bugle call. It's usually someone hitting 6 notes on a piano.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

At old ball stadiums, an organ, more likely, but I think most of the newer ball stadiums got rid of their organ systems and now it's just somebody pressing a sample button.

Still not a bugle call, necessarily, although I don't see why it couldn't be played on a bugle.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That's what threw me. You say "Charge", most people think the six-note fanfare. No reason to think it can't be played on a bugle.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:37 pm At old ball stadiums, an organ, more likely, but I think most of the newer ball stadiums got rid of their organ systems and now it's just somebody pressing a sample button.
About half the MLB stadiums have live organists at this point -- it's not really new versus old, it's just a matter of which teams want to pay someone to do it. (The three oldest stadiums have an organist -- Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Dodger Stadium -- but not the fourth-oldest, Angel Stadium. Tropicana Field, Petco Park, and SunTrust Park are examples of other stadiums from various "eras" that all have organists.)
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

My bar trivia teammates and I are aghast that the Hilton Head question was a Triple Stumper.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've heard of Hilton Head, but didn't know it was an island.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:18 pm I've heard of Hilton Head, but didn't know it was an island.
You're in good company. Marge Simpson once wrote a book about Nantucket not knowing that it was an island.

Once I was en route to Montreal with a sweet woman and said we'd be on the island within 45 minutes. "Montreal is an island?" she asked curiously. "Une île, une ville," I replied with the confidence of someone who paid attention during French class.
Last edited by floridagator on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:45 pm Once I was en route to Montreal with a sweet woman and said we'd be on the island within 45 minutes. "Montreal is an island?" she asked curiously. "Une île, un ville," I replied with the confidence of someone who paid attention during French class.
Une ville, non?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:51 pm
floridagator wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:45 pm Once I was en route to Montreal with a sweet woman and said we'd be on the island within 45 minutes. "Montreal is an island?" she asked curiously. "Une île, un ville," I replied with the confidence of someone who paid attention during French class.
Une ville, non?
Typo
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:25 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 pm Hopefully this game will silence all the Emma doubters. She is truly a top-shelf player.
I think a lot more of us were in the position that it was unfair to award Emma a spot in the ToC rather than being "Emma doubters." I think it was pretty clear Emma had the skill, but the standard for picking ToC participants has historically been number of games won, and she wouldn't have made it by that criterion. This position isn't critical of Emma, it's critical of the show's selection process (even if it's very clear why they'd want Emma in this tournament).
I’m with Kirk. She may very well win the TOC and all future Super TOCs, but I just disagree with how she got in.

Note...I have not yet seen the first SF game so I don’t know if she is still in it at this point in time.