Fourth Podium Poll for 11/11/2019 - Monday TOC (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers, missed DD, and other negs did you get?

$1000 FLAGS: The red & white stripes on the flag of this Asian country represent the states of the federation, including Sarawak
26%
$1000 GOVERNMENT & POLITICS: The Supreme Court can request a lower court to send up the records of a case for review by issuing or granting a writ of this
40%
$1000 WHAT'S HER SPORT?: Robin Roberts, in her college days (though her scholarship was for tennis)
53%
$600 WHAT'S HER SPORT?: Ali Krieger & Ashlyn Harris
38%
$400 WHAT'S HER SPORT?: Twins Monique & Jocelyne Lamoureux
34%
$200 WORDS THAT USE ALL 5 VOWELS: This adjective means showy & intended to impress
34%
$1200 MATH GUYS: A 1970s computer language is named for this Frenchman who invented a 1640s calculating machine
67%
$2000 NON COMPOSE MENTIS: He died in an insane asylum not far from the Moldau, the river he immortalized in an 1875 work
19%
$1600 A GENERIC TITLE: In this movie Robert de Niro kidnaps Jerry Lewis
36%
$800 A TRUE STORY: A gopher is on the cover of the book titled this comedy film: "The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story" (Kyle rang in but could only say, "Oh, oh. Oh, no. Oh, no.")
75%
DD1 in $600 FLAGS spot (Kyle wagered $1800): The diamond shape on its flag references the fact that it was the only diamond-producing U.S. state
64%
DD2 in $1600 MATH GUYS spot (Dhruv wagered $2000): The subject of a 2001 film, this mathematician won a 1994 Nobel Prize in Economics
81%
NOT A TS $1000 THE KING JAMES BIBLE SAYETH...: You say you want a revelation? Truly, verily, it's the very last word in that book; now can I get one?
69%
NOT A TS $800 THE KING JAMES BIBLE SAYETH...: This book namechecks itself in the very first line: These sayings of "the son of David"
51%
NOT A TS $800 REAL NAMES ON THE MARQUIS: Concino Concini, AKA the Marquis d'Ancre, was shot to death on the drawbridge of this palace (now a museum) on the right bank of the Seine
43%
I did not get any of these
No votes

Total votes: 88

Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 11/11/2019 - Monday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by Caboom »

I got the ones polling above .500, except for Arkansas, and missed the ones below, except for soccer and the Louvre.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:19 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:44 am If you had a computer in your school in the 80s, you at least heard OF all those older languages - FORTRAN, PASCAL, C, C+, BASIC. We played around with BASIC and LOGO - I still think of programs as having line numbers like when using BASIC on my old Apple //c, and I remember drawing with the on-screen LOGO turtle.
There wasn't room in this poll for "I have programmed in Pascal" or I'd be checking that box. I first learned (self-taught) BASIC with line numbers and couldn't imagine how one could get along without them. Then I got an implementation of structured BASIC (i.e. without line numbers) and took to it in seconds. It was immediately obvious that line numbers were a crutch and a distraction and a waste of valuable time. I couldn't imagine going back to them and to the ridiculous RENUM command for when you ran out of space because the next numbered line was only 10 away and you wanted to insert 11 lines. The alternative, of course was to insert a GOTO 5000, type all the lines you want and then type GOTO [whatever line number came after the one with GOTO 5000] and soldier on. What a mess. What a pain. Good riddance.
Right with you there, my flightless friend. From BASIC I went to FORTRAN-IV and then on to Algol (bleh) and thence to Pascal and the idea of "structured programming." (Though one of my favorite polemics from that era is "Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal")
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think Dhruv's response of Strauss to the Smetana clue is a prime example of "under the lights" thinking. You somehow make a quantum leap from "composer who immortalized a river" to Strauss, without realizing the Moldau is not the Danube.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The penguin fixed the poll and I have fixed my answers. Hockey and Arkansas are now showing correct values :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I was sort of half-spoiled on many of these, so I'm skipping the survey. I will offer that I guessed "synchronized swimming" for the twins' sport.

Asking for "amen" is awfully lame. It's like asking for "gesundheit".
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:31 pm The penguin fixed the poll and I have fixed my answers. Hockey and Arkansas are now showing correct values :D
Awesome! I didn't even notice initially that you'd mentioned the problem. I was just looking at the results and saw that no check boxes show up next to them. I thought "That's not right" and went in and made the change.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Missed the Malaysian flag and all three of the women in sports listed. Knew the Kings of Comedy but couldn't pull it in time, and was left saying "the guy whose mind was beautiful" when I couldn't remember Nash. Said Musee d'Orsay, but it's on the left bank and is a former railway station -- got suckered into thinking "Louvre in an $800 first-round clue? Nope -- has to be something less obvious".

Got the rest for $7600. Don't know how much I would have wagered on the flags DD. Probably not much.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:20 pm Right with you there, my flightless friend. From BASIC I went to FORTRAN-IV and then on to Algol (bleh) and thence to Pascal and the idea of "structured programming." (Though one of my favorite polemics from that era is "Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal")
Ha! That was awesome. I'm definitely not a Real Programmer even if the criteria are a lot less stringent than that. I'm just a guy who learned to program a bit back in the pre-Windows days and kind of wonders what would've happened if I'd decided to go somewhere with that skill. There are hundreds of thousands of us. My basic level of understanding can be described as "I get the joke in the name of C++".
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:20 pm "I get the joke in the name of C++".
Could you explain it for the rest of us? Or would that kill the humor.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:25 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:20 pm "I get the joke in the name of C++".
C++ is the grade you get when you don't quite rate a B--. Ok, not really. When you put ++ after a variable in C, it increments the variable to the next higher value. A simple example would be for variable N, an integer, currently equal to 10. The command (statement?) N++ would set the new value of N to 11. So C++ just means that this is the next step for C. (As Nigel Tufnel would patiently explain, "It's one better, isn't it?")
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:50 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:25 pm
C++ is the grade you get when you don't quite rate a B--. Ok, not really. When you put ++ after a variable in C, it increments the variable to the next higher value. A simple example would be for variable N, an integer, currently equal to 10. The command (statement?) N++ would set the new value of N to 11. So C++ just means that this is the next step for C. (As Nigel Tufnel would patiently explain, "It's one better, isn't it?")
Thank you. I'd have slapped my knee, but i couldn't decide on one to slap.

I remember getting a C-- on a particular math test. I guess the extra "-" was in lieu of gift wrap.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'm kind of surprised there were no Maren Morris fans taking the coin flip and going with "Hallelujah" for the "can I get one" part of the clue.

I'm claiming a get on certiorari, although I probably would have skipped a syllable. I can't say I've ever heard it pronounced. Otherwise, my only LT would be Pascal.

Did a tiny bit of programming in BASIC (with line numbers!) in college. Had to take one class in these new-fangled computers to learn about what they could do.
--Peter