Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:00 am
floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:35 am I said Outsourcing and I disagree with our retired CPO.
I disagree with you calling him a CPO. ;)
:mrgreen:

Appreciate you sticking up for me, though if I were sitting at lunch with a CPO and someone hollered, "Hey, Chief" we'd both look up. So would the SCPO and MCPO at the other table -- all three senior NCO ranks (E-7, E-8, and E-9) in the Navy can be addressed as "Chief." Even so, most Navy MCPOs prefer to be addressed as "Master Chief." In the USAF both E-7s and E-8s are still addressed as "Sergeant."

Jeopardy clues give a lot more love to the Navy version, though -- mostly because of Don Rickles. One hit for USAF (a TS with the term combined within the clue with other flavors of Sergeant), six for USN:

http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search

http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:33 pm
gnash wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:27 pm
davey wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:45 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:47 pm
mrparadise wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:34 pm Someone asked above if anyone had gone with javelina instead of peccary. I sure did.
+1

I'm going to take a crack at the wording. Instead of:

In 2018 Forbes said this "Belt’s Demographic Delight is" this other “Belt’s Demographic Dilemma"

How about:

In 2018, Forbes said of these two belts that one "Belt's Demographic Delight" is the other "Belt's Demographic Dilemma".
In 2018, Forbes said that people continue to move into this "Demographic Belt" and move out of this other "Demographic Belt"
I don't see how "Delight" and "Dilemma" are that helpful. The clue is in essence asking for the conventional understanding on intra-US migration as stated cutely by a headline - the article only brings it up to suggest that the trend may be slowly ending.
I have seldom hated an FJ more... :twisted: I would have preferred a clue about "mesofacts," a term in the article I've never heard of before...
If you put "Demographic Belt" in quotes, you are simply misquoting and making the clue factually wrong.
OK, I meant to set the term apart, not to (mis)quote the article. Take out the quotes and even Demographic since it's in the category after all. It's more direct than the original, at least.
Then why would you mention Forbes? There's no connection with it? And you need something to pin it so people don't make up new belt names, since none of those are official names.

I like alietr's version, but the original one is good enough. Editing out the Forbes references doesn't work, though.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:17 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm 0/5 in Hail Caesar!, Football, and Naval Gazing.

You'd think mammals would be a wheelhouse for me, but I've honestly NHO peccary or eland.

All but "xiphoid" in X's and O's and "Stealing signs" (NHOI) in Communication.

What was the TOM for "Toyko" on the top box? "Narita" sounds like it could be from literally anywhere.

3/5 in Lyrics. I love $400 and $1,200, haven't heard $800 or $2,000, and hate $1,600.

Rust and uhhhh... ARE there any other belts? No, I can't think of any. NHO "sun belt".
the sun belt is a ncaa conference...outside of that i had never heard of the sun belt for a region..well until 3 days when ago when i reading something and it came up...allowed me to get this final jeopardy clue
Got Rust and Sun, but I can't tell you how much I was hoping for "Bible Belt" and "Borscht Belt."
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

For anyone misparsing the FJ! clue, I'd recommend the one technique I've learned painfully from misinterpreting clues myself: look for THIS. Literally, the word "this". I think in almost every FJ!, the correct response replaces the word "this" in some sense...I read it somewhere in here or online somewhat recently. The FJ! clue had two "this"es, so there's two belts we're looking for.

With all that (this?) said, I still flamed out as a lot of people here did with "rust and Bible". It felt allllmost too easy to me, as those are the two most famous belts in the US to me. I couldn't think of any others in time, and didn't have any particular reason to dismiss "Bible" - I failed to think that it didn't extend West enough, and extended maybe a little too far north.

This was one of the toughest boards for me this season. Three categories I totally blanked on in DJ! - naval gazing, visionaries, and novels by characters. I thought I'd have a better chance at novels than I did. Almost swept Communication, which surprised me. And, again, my reading vocabulary far outweighs my speaking vocabulary - I knew "posse comiblahblahs", and had "posse comitas" instead of "posse comitatus". Surprised that was a TS.

So, James and Emma....should be a fun match to watch Thursday and Friday!
davey

Post by davey »

gnash wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 pm
davey wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:33 pm
gnash wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:27 pm
davey wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:45 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:47 pm

+1

I'm going to take a crack at the wording. Instead of:

In 2018 Forbes said this "Belt’s Demographic Delight is" this other “Belt’s Demographic Dilemma"

How about:

In 2018, Forbes said of these two belts that one "Belt's Demographic Delight" is the other "Belt's Demographic Dilemma".
In 2018, Forbes said that people continue to move into this "Demographic Belt" and move out of this other "Demographic Belt"
I don't see how "Delight" and "Dilemma" are that helpful. The clue is in essence asking for the conventional understanding on intra-US migration as stated cutely by a headline - the article only brings it up to suggest that the trend may be slowly ending.
I have seldom hated an FJ more... :twisted: I would have preferred a clue about "mesofacts," a term in the article I've never heard of before...
If you put "Demographic Belt" in quotes, you are simply misquoting and making the clue factually wrong.
OK, I meant to set the term apart, not to (mis)quote the article. Take out the quotes and even Demographic since it's in the category after all. It's more direct than the original, at least.
Then why would you mention Forbes? There's no connection with it? And you need something to pin it so people don't make up new belt names, since none of those are official names.

I like alietr's version, but the original one is good enough. Editing out the Forbes references doesn't work, though.
Actually just putting "Belt" in quotes would pin it to the terms used in the article, though less distinctively than with the headline's language. But I take your point. If you saw the meaning in delight and dilemma you could go in the right direction without my extra hint. If they conveyed nothing but facile alliteration they were no help.
Last edited by davey on Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:45 pm For anyone misparsing the FJ! clue, I'd recommend the one technique I've learned painfully from misinterpreting clues myself: look for THIS. Literally, the word "this". I think in almost every FJ!, the correct response replaces the word "this" in some sense...I read it somewhere in here or online somewhat recently. The FJ! clue had two "this"es, so there's two belts we're looking for.
Well, that's really the point. People were expecting a THIS...not two THISes
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:48 pm It was a low-value clue and made no difference in the game, but the pedant in me has to say that I think Rachel got away with one when she was given credit for a correct answer of "outsourcing" in reply to the clue "It's the practice of sending U.S. jobs overseas."

Outsourcing is taking certain functions out of an organization and hiring an external company to do those jobs. A minority of the time the jobs leave the country, but most outsourced jobs move to a domestic company without leaving the U.S. The actual correct answer to the clue would be "offshoring," which actually does eliminate domestic jobs by having those jobs performed in another country.
Completely agree. We expected a reversal after the break and were very surprised when it didn't happen.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DavidRosen wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:33 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:17 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm 0/5 in Hail Caesar!, Football, and Naval Gazing.

You'd think mammals would be a wheelhouse for me, but I've honestly NHO peccary or eland.

All but "xiphoid" in X's and O's and "Stealing signs" (NHOI) in Communication.

What was the TOM for "Toyko" on the top box? "Narita" sounds like it could be from literally anywhere.

3/5 in Lyrics. I love $400 and $1,200, haven't heard $800 or $2,000, and hate $1,600.

Rust and uhhhh... ARE there any other belts? No, I can't think of any. NHO "sun belt".
the sun belt is a ncaa conference...outside of that i had never heard of the sun belt for a region..well until 3 days when ago when i reading something and it came up...allowed me to get this final jeopardy clue
Got Rust and Sun, but I can't tell you how much I was hoping for "Bible Belt" and "Borscht Belt."
borscht belt is a thing? borscht is one of my favourite foods
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:11 pm I said "crucial" for "crux". Judges? The clue doesn't seem to call specifically for the noun vs. the adjective. I got "posse comitatus" because I've been doing a JAG rewatch and it was the title of one of the episodes.
I'll register a dissenting opinion from my esteemed colleague and say yes. I think the clue has enough ambiguity that either part of speech has to be accepted. Here's the clue so we have it in front of us:

- I'm very "cross" about this Latin word meaning a vital or pivotal point

I agree that it's more natural to read the clue as asking for a word that means "a vital or pivotal point." So "crux" is a better fit. But it's not completely UNreasonable to read the clue as saying "What kind of point is vital or pivotal?" A crucial point. That's what kind of point.

In any event, I feel as though we've had this conversation multiple times over the years. A clue seemed to be looking for, say, an adjective, but they accepted the noun or verb or whatever. I can't find a good example right now, but I did find this:

ANTONYMS $800: This adjective is the opposite of "attentive"; legally, it refers to one who fails to use "due care" & "ordinary prudence" ("What is negligence" accepted.)

Yes. Even when the clue SPECIFIED an adjective, they accepted a noun. When the clue doesn't specify, as in the one under discussion, I'd have to say your odds are even better of getting an off response accepted.
Seeing the clue again, I don't think "crucial" is a Latin word.
OCSam
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:05 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:45 pm For anyone misparsing the FJ! clue, I'd recommend the one technique I've learned painfully from misinterpreting clues myself: look for THIS. Literally, the word "this". I think in almost every FJ!, the correct response replaces the word "this" in some sense...I read it somewhere in here or online somewhat recently. The FJ! clue had two "this"es, so there's two belts we're looking for.
This.
I'm smart and I want respect.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm
The borscht belt refers to the Entertainment District in the Catskills region of New York. It was popular at a time that Jews weren't allowed to travel in most of the Sun Belt. Since discrimination against Jews is now a thing of the past, there is almost nothing left of the old borscht belt in the Catskills.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:34 pm Even so, most Navy MCPOs prefer to be addressed as "Master Chief."
Or, as we called them, Master Grief (not to their faces, of course).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 pm I'll register a dissenting opinion from my esteemed colleague and say yes. I think the clue has enough ambiguity that either part of speech has to be accepted. Here's the clue so we have it in front of us:

Well THERE'S the elephant in the room! I think I was unconsciously reading it as "Latin-derived" the whole time. Yeah, crucial is wrong regardless of where one comes down on the adjective vs noun debate.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:10 am
This.
This.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:27 am
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm
The borscht belt refers to the Entertainment District in the Catskills region of New York. It was popular at a time that Jews weren't allowed to travel in most of the Sun Belt. Since discrimination against Jews is now a thing of the past, there is almost nothing left of the old borscht belt in the Catskills.
I think that air travel becoming more affordable to middle class families was the primary contributor to the demise of the resorts in the Borscht Belt.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:16 am
Lefty wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:10 am
This.
This.
So...these?
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:15 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 pm I'll register a dissenting opinion from my esteemed colleague and say yes. I think the clue has enough ambiguity that either part of speech has to be accepted. Here's the clue so we have it in front of us:

Well THERE'S the elephant in the room! I think I was unconsciously reading it as "Latin-derived" the whole time. Yeah, crucial is wrong regardless of where one comes down on the adjective vs noun debate.
Yeah, what debate, this is what I meant all along... ;) :oops: :roll: