Wednesday, November 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by threearruda »

Ocean of air -> air pressure -> barometer -> Torricelli. *thumbs up*. :mrgreen:

Lindsey was in my gold tier pre-tourney and today's performance proved why. She played a stellar game, just some tough luck with DD3 and FJ not bouncing her way. Big ups to Gilbert for a great performance too. It's awesome to see Francois advance, though. Excited for a (hopefully) legendary final.

Someone on Reddit beat me to this, but it's hysterical that we waited two years between ToCs and the three finalists are, chronologically speaking, the last three in, and all three played within three weeks of one another.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $33,600 (43R, 1W)
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: none

Blew through the first round, DJ was pretty decent as well. Ran State Stuff and O_ED and should’ve run Capricorn but blanked on Easter Island.

FJ, I got as far as knowing it was referring to the barometer but that was it. Answered da Vinci knowing it was wrong, just to put something down. Francois must have been doing cartwheels inside when he saw the clue.

Looking forward to the heavyweight death match :D Unfortunately going to have to watch Friday on delay, it’s the same night as World Trivia Night here in Ottawa.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

The ToC is prone to having a clue where I know what/who they're asking about but not the name, with "the guy who invented the barometer" joining "the woman who killed the guy in the bathtub" or "the giant statue of Jesus in Buenos Aires Rio De Janeiro." I don't know if the name Torricelli is going to stick with me like Corday and Christ the Redeemer did.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

No Fourth Podium poll until tomorrow, guys. The game got Trumped, but it'll be re-broadcast in the a.m. We will then watch it in the p.m., but possibly not until late. This will also delay the Fourth Podium poll for Thursday. Might be caught up by Friday.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote: It's been a while since I was as sure a reversal was coming in real time as when Alex initially negged 'industrial revoluion'. "Sorry, we were looking for a single term"...um, what!? Didn't think the reversal would come that fast, though.
The sixty-four dollar question is, why didn't Lindsey get control of the board, since Gilbert was already the beneficiary of a 'phantom rebound'?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 pm That was a weird ruling on industrialization.

Ran "O_ED".

Best wrong guess: "Laugh maniacally" + "bird" leading me to woodpecker.

0/5 in Bestsellers. Didn't know Demi Lovato had a book, and that clue seemed insanely YEKIOYD for the top box.

Anyone else think that "keep calm and carry on" was MONSTROUSLY HUGE negbait on the Famous Americans DD? That was my only miss in the category.

Good bottom-row gets for me: Bechdel, Uruguay, Social darwinism

No guess on FJ! No recognition on the correct response.
there was a picture of her in the clue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

never heard of that italian dude before
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Never heard of the name either. I may have said Pascal just to have something.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Also, three cheers for the wagers.
But Gilbert needed a couple hundred bucks and a sole solve. His zippo bet meant Lindsay had to overbet, and let him in the equation. In some ways, it would have been lousy if his gifted $1600 for the faux rebound wound up winning the game for him. I wish New York would review football replays this quickly.

I knew this game was over when I saw the clue. I didn't know how difficult it would play to the general public but knew the Physics teacher couldn't believe his eyes. Credit to Gilbert for the Bernoulli guess.

As Linear Gnome has stated, the unit of pressure equal to 1 mm of Mercury is a Torr and is my preferred unit. Pressure is the muddiest derived unit in Physics - we have SI units of pascals (same guy as the software clue) which are so small you have to use KPa and MPa to be useful - and they aren't. We can't let go of psi, and in. Hg, and microns (for vacuum measurement), then atmospheres and bars and kilobars and possibly troy-ounce per square furlong as far as I know. Not pretty.

Go, Emma, Go. I wonder if Francois will be a little more aggressive at DD hunting, just to spoil them if nothing else.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Torricelli was not going to be pulled from the recesses of my brain. I knew Bernoulli wasn't likely to be right, but I had nothing else.

250 Quatloos on Francois to win it all.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Pulled out FJ from the back of my high-school chemistry recollection.

They gave 'objectified' as the action angering feminists, but wouldn't 'ogled' have fit the clue as well? :twisted:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 pm Anyone else think that "keep calm and carry on" was MONSTROUSLY HUGE negbait on the Famous Americans DD? That was my only miss in the category.
No. I could give two reasons why, but you'd discount both anyway, so what would be the point?

Going to need "I knew they wanted the guy behind the barometer but did not know/could not recall in time" in a poll somewhere.
(It wasn't Barometelli?)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

I was surprised at the Tarantino clue; I would have thought the show would need to avoid language like that to keep its TV-G rating. But a check of J-Archive reveals that the film has been mentioned a few times in the past, and the word (spelled correctly, with two a's) has appeared in several other clues, as far back as 1989.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ pretty quickly; just had to read the clue a few times to make sure that it was most likely referring to the barometer. Torricelli was a name that I learned in a middle school science class, and it always stuck. I can't recall him being one of those names that the show regularly has clues on, and it appears that the posts upthread confirm that.

Congrats to Francois on the win! It should be a great finals.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I know it's been two days since there was a clue mentioning that Bernoulli was Swiss... :D

I got this FJ, but I pondered it the whole 30 seconds. I knew the unit named for him was the Torr, but Torricelli just didn't sound right in my head.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

These boards felt like the easiest of the TOC for me. Good job by all 3 players but the FJ put the game in Francois’s lap. I got there from Torr, too. (Bernoulli was Swiss, BTW). Did anyone else hear Francois say “The Girl on a Train”?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Also, three cheers for the wagers.
But Gilbert needed a couple hundred bucks and a sole solve. His zippo bet meant Lindsay had to overbet, and let him in the equation. In some ways, it would have been lousy if his gifted $1600 for the faux rebound wound up winning the game for him. I wish New York would review football replays this quickly.
Lindsay actually underbet, wagering to get a dollar ahead of Francois rather than cover Gilbert. A cover wager would have knocked her to $9,599.

Now this felt like a ToC FJ. I didn't get it.

Edit: Yes, I also heard "Girl on a Train." I assumed I had the title wrong when there was no reversal.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

It was tough for me NOT to get that the FJ! clue was heading for "the guy who invented the barometer"...but not as tough as it was for me to come up with his name, which I didn't. I'd heard the name Torricelli and the associated unit Torr, but wasn't going to pull it out in time. Wish I'd gone longer with the whole "units" idea...I went "pressure, oh, Pascal! Wait, he's French...next idea?" I then blanked on non-Galilean Italian inventors for the remaining 15 seconds. I knew it couldn't be Galileo - I eliminated that as a possible response even before they revealed the clue.

I then "oooh"ed with the Bernoulli guess, because Bernoulli's equation does have to do with pressure, but turns out he's Swiss and from the 1700s. Torricelli also has an equation, which is a special case of Bernoulli's equation.

I clearly watched too many cartoons as a kid. When I saw "bird" and "maniacal laugh", I went straight for "woodpecker". Ha ha ha haaaaaaa ha.

Anyone else hear Francois say "The girl on -a- train" instead of -the- train? If anyone gets The Call, this is more evidence that books-into-movies is J! writers' catnip.

I almost swept three categories - finally got my wordplay mojo back with O__ED. Medical abbreviations is my jam. And the movies was 4/5...I knew Elizabeth Banks and even knew she wrote, directed, and starred in Charlie's Angels without the clue's assistance, but "That annoyingly loud woman on the new Press Your Luck and Pitch Perfect" wasn't going to get me any Coryat.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:32 am I knew Elizabeth Banks and even knew she wrote, directed, and starred in Charlie's Angels without the clue's assistance, but "That annoyingly loud woman on the new Press Your Luck and Pitch Perfect" wasn't going to get me any Coryat.
https://youtu.be/PHMUZ0cQuIw
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm
As Linear Gnome has stated, the unit of pressure equal to 1 mm of Mercury is a Torr and is my preferred unit. Pressure is the muddiest derived unit in Physics - we have SI units of pascals (same guy as the software clue) which are so small you have to use KPa and MPa to be useful - and they aren't. We can't let go of psi, and in. Hg, and microns (for vacuum measurement), then atmospheres and bars and kilobars and possibly troy-ounce per square furlong as far as I know. Not pretty.
I've seen and used MPa for strength levels of metric bolts, analogous to ksi (just to add another unit to the mix) for English unit bolts.
OCSam