LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by econgator »

B Taiga again.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Promoted up to C for the first time! Let's see if I can stay there. Prior to joining LL, in reading the questions, I fully believed that I belonged in D, so staying in C will be a good challenge.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

E Taiga Div. 2. (kicked down from D, and I guess there is no F. Yet :))
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I never finished higher than 4th in A. With the new rules qualifying the top three for the championship, I knew there was a chance I had to prepare for a different playing process. So I was very surprised to win A Laurel last season. I don't expect to top the rundle again, but I intend to stay in A.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Opening day, where everyone is tied for first place (not counting the alphabetized standings right now)

Good luck everyone!
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

And a reminder not to mention ANYTHING about a match day until the following day
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Win via forfeit on day 1 in B. I consider that a lucky result because I somehow managed to talk myself out of the Arabian Sea at 6:00 yesterday morning, which I was mad about for the rest of the day.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday's set struck me as easy. I was sure I would lose, but I had a nice surprise this morning when I discovered that 4 correct earned me a win.

Whitney Houston was my first instinct, but then I stupidly switched to Bjork. I should have known that it made no sense for it to be a living singer. I wasn't even sure if Bjork had been around for that long--turns out her debut album came out in 1993.

I had no idea on San Francisco.

Hue and guillotine were educated guesses.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I opened LL83 with a 3(3)-4(4) loss. Whitney Houston was a guess that actually was correct; I guessed Denver (which was wrong)...but was also the most common incorrect answer.

At least I'm 1.000 in DE after one day.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Wishing but knowing every match won't be like yesterday for me...

5 instagets, and I couldn't come up with Arabian sea. I knew Red Sea had to be wrong, but just couldn't come up with anything else.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I am curious how many people who got San Francisco knew the question was about the Federal Reserve and how many just guessed a city in the West.

It would have been a better question if the missing city had been Richmond or Cleveland.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Opened with a self-inflicted 3(3) - 3(3) tie...I recognized the city question as referring to govt money related sites but my mint Koin came up Denver over SF...the real kicker was Q2 where I didn't know it but thought, that's probably the Orwell novel with Big Brother, so I promptly typed in Animal Farm. Dammit!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:45 am I am curious how many people who got San Francisco knew the question was about the Federal Reserve and how many just guessed a city in the West.

It would have been a better question if the missing city had been Richmond or Cleveland.
It came to me pretty quickly that they were talking about the Fed, but then again, I'm an economist. And used to like looking at money.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

gnash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:45 am I am curious how many people who got San Francisco knew the question was about the Federal Reserve and how many just guessed a city in the West.

The letters more than anything else made me think of the Fed, and I knew San Francisco was one of its locations, and it wasn't on the list. As I said elsewhere, if I had had to name any other city (besides maybe Philadelphia and New York), I probably would have guessed Denver (a U.S. Mint location only).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:12 am

The letters more than anything else made me think of the Fed, and I knew San Francisco was one of its locations, and it wasn't on the list. As I said elsewhere, if I had had to name any other city (besides maybe Philadelphia and New York), I probably would have guessed Denver (a U.S. Mint location only).
I recognized the FRB letters but didn't realize the geographic dispersion was so skewed, and pondered over Denver in spite of gut reflex for L = San Francisco. I toured the Denver Mint a year ago and racked my brain trying to recall any tidbits from the tour guide. With no hits, I stuck with SanFran for the 5(4)-4(3) win in the dumb room rundle.

Richmond as a clue would just be cruel and sadistic. So, a perfect clue.

I thought "Arabian Gulf", no, they want a sea. Coin toss Red and Dead and chose Red. We both missed the singer at three points.

It is nice to play with a variety of subjects. I will never subject myself to the hell and masochism of Mini Leagues again unless they are in my wheelhouse. Lesson Learned, Learned League!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Well, there's a catch to it, but I can technically say at one point I've lead an A rundle :lol:
(Opponent forfeited and an 8 point differential is a tough bar to beat on day 1 in A...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

In high school I could rattle off all twelve locations
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

The only feeling worse than being bomtr'd on Day 1 is being double bomtr'd on Day 1.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No clue for me what the cities were about and getting San Francisco was not even thinking west. I just went for the city where I live. What did that luck do for me? Nothing as I had the awful loss of 6(5)-7(4). :twisted:
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

The locations letter/number made me think of coins and bills and post office. I thought Denver and San Francisco both had mints, and I figured I was slightly wrong because both were missing, but there had to be a city on any such list in California. Basically a lucky guess.

I also got lucky naming a dead performer who might have covered Winwood in 1990. I almost submitted George Harrison, but I couldn't imagine a modern dj remixing that.