Fourth Podium Poll for 11/13/2019 - Wednesday TOC (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers and other clues did you get?

$1000 BESTSELLING BOOKS: Girl, she's the motivational speaker and bestselling author of works like, "Girl Wash Your Face" and "Girl, Stop Apologizing"
5%
$200 BESTSELLING BOOKS: In 2013, this young actress and singer had a bestseller with "Staying Strong", a book of affirmations (Lindsey guessed Selena Gomez)
28%
$800 EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE: The Toyota Century is the limousine of choice for the person with this title (a new one took over in 2019) (Gilbert guessed CEO)
17%
$2000 HER FIRST PUBLISHED NOVEL: 1988: "The Bean Trees"
12%
DD2 $1200 slot in FAMOUS AMERICANS (Lindsey bet $3000): During the Blitz, Edward R. Murrow borrowed this 5- word phrase from Londoners who weren't sure they'd survive the evening
52%
Like Lindsey, I guessed "Keep calm and carry on" for DD2
22%
NOT A TS $600 OFFICIAL STATE STUFF: Its state tree is the sugar maple, though it has a mighty pine at the center of its state seal
48%
NOT A TS $400 WORD-POURRI: Quebracho, one of the hardest woods, is from Spanish for "breaker" of this tool
45%
NOT A TS $2000 FAMOUS AMERICANS: This author known for her gender-disparity test wrote the graphic novel memoir "Fun Home"
45%
I figured FJ was referring to the inventor of the barometer, but I didn't know or couldn't recall his name.
55%
I did not get any of these
8%

Total votes: 60

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 11/13/2019 - Wednesday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

CORRECT RESPONSES
$1000 BESTSELLING BOOKS: Rachel Hollis
$200 BESTSELLING BOOKS: Demi Lovato
$800 EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE: emperor of Japan
$2000 HER FIRST PUBLISHED NOVEL: Barbara Kingsolver
DD2 $1200 slot in FAMOUS AMERICANS (Lindsey bet $3000): Good night and good luck
NOT A TS $600 OFFICIAL STATE STUFF: Vermont (Gilbert negged with Washington, Lindsey got the rebound)
NOT A TS $400 WORD-POURRI: an ax (Francois negged with saw, Lindsey got the rebound)
NOT A TS $2000 FAMOUS AMERICANS: (Alison) Bechdel (Lindsey was first to buzz in and got it right, so no rebound possible. I'm just curious how many boardies got this one.)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 11/13/2019 - Wednesday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

$200 for knowing the young actress/singer.

Only as far as barometer guy.

Negged with Maine seeing Pine.
Negged with hammer for tool with wood.

No on Bechdel. She was in a LL Q last season or J! game last season? Didn't get her then either.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

No LT. Had "good night and good luck," axe, and Alison Bechdel. And my FJ! response was "Who was the guy who invented the barometer?"
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :| :| :| :mrgreen:
:? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:roll:

Good Night and Good Luck
Vermont would've been a DD get but overthought maple being too obvious to ring in on. Got ax and Bechdel

Got as far as Barometelli
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

$7800 and yes, I knew Bechdel.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

NHO "Girl, do this" and "Girl, do that".

I got $200 BESTSELLER from the image alone - all the book info was useless to me. The clue mas as well have been just two words to go with the pic: This person. I had to pause for a second to make sure it wasn't Miley, but I definitely would have gotten there in time after a neg - even if it was a neg that didn't help me eliminate anything. That's not Selena.

At first, I thought I was misdirected on the 2019 clue, paying attention to the Toyota. Now I see two paths that point to the correct response...almost seemed like it could be a FJ! clue.

NHO "Bean Trees". Guess I need to brush up on modern women authors?

I sunk with Lindsey, but it didn't feel like it fit. London, five words, war....I ignored the one cromulent part of the question, and put what's on my doormat.

Maple. State. Pavlov. Yup!

Not reading closely enough, I didn't see/hear the word "tool". I morphed the word to quebraZo, which I guessed meant breaker of "un brazo", or an arm. I'm pretty sure I clammed on it, though. Answer makes 100% sense, and almost seems easy once you see it.

I saw Fun Home. And since I wiki most musicals I see, it connected me to the gender test, even if the test isn't mentioned in the musical (I think?). I'd heard of the test, and heard of Fun Home before seeing it, but it wasn't until seeing the musical that I learned they were the same person, which made the name stick.

No FJ! for me. The response was familiar, but so was Bernoulli.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Funnily enough, if you gave me Torricelli I would have gotten barometer for his invention, but I couldn't get from the invention to the inventor.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Good Night & Good Luck, Vermont, & Bechdel