Thursday, November 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Thursday, November 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

Typical performance from James, but Emma was hanging in there. After looking good in both QF and SF games, Francois just looked outgunned in this final. I hope he can come back tomorrow. Got FJ with plenty if time to spare from the Jeremiad hint. It was pretty clear from body language that both James and Emma had it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Brutal set of boards
FJ:. Psalms, no that doesn't t fit...wait, Jeremiad. :)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

28.8k Coryat for me. 5 negs in SJ - ugh, but turned it around in DJ.
Missed Final: said "Lamentations" , which was at least in the ballpark as a definition. "The old testament" is a nightmare category for me. In a two-day affair like this, I might bet zero if that category came up.

James is so fast on the buzzer. Francois and Emma seemed just as tough as him in their quarters and semifinal, but Francois just didn't seem to get in. I wonder if the big neg in Physics looking for "standard model" shook him a little?

Emma needs a ~25k$ win tomorrow. Its unlikely, but possible. I'm still cheering for the physics teacher though!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Transportation Terms, New News $400, $800, and $1000, and Mister Roberts.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mickey Spillane, (Oscar Wilde), The Standard Model, Michael Avenatti

Loved Teen-Letter Words $1600. :D

A bit surprised James missed the Oscar Wilde DD. I wouldn't be surprised if even great J! champs not know Sebastian Melmoth, but "leaving prison in 1897" should have been a gimme. Alexandre Dumas was long dead at that time.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

boson wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:00 pm ...

Emma needs a ~25k$ win tomorrow. Its unlikely, but possible. I'm still cheering for the physics teacher though!
Let's revisit James vs. Emma in June and apply it to tomorrow.

DD3 was the 14th clue.

James: 17800
Emma: 20400
Jay: 7400

Instead of 20400+3000 let's give Emma the full 20400+20400

That makes the FJ! round:
Emma: 44000
James: 23400
Jay: 11000

If we apply that to today's scores and sub Jay for Francois then:

Francois: (1800) and 11,000
James: (49326) and 23400 for 72726 at betting 0 and 96126 maxed out
Emma: (26400) and 44000 for 76400 at betting 0 and 114400 maxed out

The numbers show Emma can outplay James and lead overall for the 2-days final without even needing to max out DD3 tomorrow. Since it happened once it could happen again. Emma has demonstrated enough buzzer and knowledge to have the ability to do it.

Francois of course could also play much better and go for broke. Give him all three DDs and who knows what could happen. In the TOC James has already got a DD miss and FJ miss out of his system making me think he will have a clean sheet tomorrow.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:29 pm NHO "The Wolf Man" or "VICE".

Identify Colorado on a map, for $1,600, in a TOC? That may be too easy.

All but $2,000 in Teen-Letter.

Lach Trash: Mickey Spillane

Hopped all over the OT but nothing sounded like a "long complaint or rant" no matter how many books I pulled up. NHO "Jeremiad". I got stuck on thinking Isaiah was the longest book and trying to turn that into "diatribe". Somehow skipped over Jeremiah entirely, since I thought it was considerably shorter.
somewhat new news site...they have a cable channel and also do a lot of youtube videos...one of their pieces from about 7 years ago or so has become popular in recent weeks after the mormons in mexico were gunned down
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

In hindsight, I remembered Jeramiah was a pretty long book. But I didn't realize it was actually the longest. I went with Isaiah.
Francois' answer of Ruth.... that was a groaner.
Hugo Z wrote: And JH is putting the pedal to the metal, which shouldn't be a surprise. Did anyone seriously think this would be competitive?
He actually bet enough on FJ to surrender the lead to Emma if he got an incorrect and she doubled. I think it had more to do with date tributes than being sporting, though.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Oh yeah! Keep it up, James! What an AWESOME start!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The biggest book in the Bible? Easy, Psalms has 150 chapters. Don't rule it wrong or I'll get all Psalmy on you :evil:

I'll never understand the way buzzer dominance works. I'm sure Emma wanted a piece of every clue and she had her own run late in the game. She has to have a $13K edge on James going into FJ tomorrow. Can someone post how much lead she had in her de-throning game against James?

So I miss the Bible clue and get a TS answered wrong by a Physics teacher and Clammed by Emma and James? Cool. 8-) The Standard Model is one of those rare Physics concepts with a boring name. Cool names of this genre (AT pronunciation) : GUT for Grand Unification Theory / TOE for Theory of Everything / QCD for Quantum Chromodynamics / QFT for Quantum Field Theory, and of course String Theory. But at 50 years old, the Standard Model is still going strong it has fought off all challengers.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Spoiler
Judging by the promo video for the finals, it appears Emma gets the champion's podium for the second of the final match. Or could it have been a rehearsal game?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I went with jobation for FJ; didn't even think of jeremiad.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

In Roger Craig's famous first game of the 2011 TOC final, he ended with $50,000. James Holzhauer, in a seemingly average game, ended here with $49,326.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 31,800
40 R/5 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Oscar Wilde (DD), karting, Michael Avenatti

Buzzer timing and wagering are the two most underrated skills on J! James has both in spades in addition to an extremely impressive knowledge base, and it shows in a game like this one.

I would not have guessed that Jeremiah was the longest book in the Old Testament, but I am familiar with the word "jeremiad," so that was that.

Embarrassing misses: rung in and couldn't pull Propublica's name (I got it mixed up with Poptropica, a gaming website my kids use); completely forgot about W.J. Bryan's involvement in the Scopes trial; made the same mistake as James on vexillographer, realizing such just as the incorrect word was leaving my mouth.

NHO Tor.
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:29 pm Identify Colorado on a map, for $1,600, in a TOC? That may be too easy.
Not to mention that Snake River DD, or Moosejaw for 2k when spotted 'deer facial bone' (and the fact that half of us probably precalled Moosejaw anyway). Wasn't doing any backflips over 'res ipsa loquitur' for 2K either.
There was also "name the painter of Night Hawks" for $2000.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

No clue what the longest book of the OT is, nor have I ever heard the word 'jeremiad'. Not a chance on this one.

Also, was the Vice reporter clue really top-level? May well be, but I;ve never heard of either her or the website.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

After hearing Francois respond with A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, I'm accepting his having been credited for
Spoiler
The Girl on the Train
yesterday.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

theFJguy wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:04 am Francois Barcomb: 7800-6000=1800
James Holzhauer: 37412+11914=49326
Emma Boettcher: 13200+13200=26400
I assume Roger Craig holds the record for highest score in game 1 of a TOC final at $50,000? (Exactly eight years ago.) But is today's combined score of $77,526 a record?
yclept

Post by yclept »

Other than a missed DD which obviously didn’t fluster him, this was James at his very best.

That said, Emma and Francois didn’t give up. Francois missing the final takes him out of the race for the title but Emma is still within a range to beat James. But she will need to hit the DDs at the right time in order to build up the money necessary to make James sweat. I believe that even in Roger’s Game 2, there was a DD where one of his opponents had a chance to at least make FJ interesting but he missed the clue.

Regardless, it has been a fun tournament that seems to be reaching the predicted conclusion.
JeopardyMom
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyMom »

The FJ answer specified longest book by Hebrew word count. Psalms has the most chapters (150) but I don't know which book is longest by English word count, since translations vary.
The "diatribe" part led me to Jeremiah/jeremiad. Also the coincidence that I'm reading Jeremiah right now!

It's been a good tournament, and I'm sure James will win, but I would love to see Emma or Francois take it. James is just too smug for me to really get behind him. Deservedly so, but still.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:37 pm
somewhat new news site...they have a cable channel and also do a lot of youtube videos...one of their pieces from about 7 years ago or so has become popular in recent weeks after the mormons in mexico were gunned down
I chuckled when William Jennings Bryan came up after you said you'd NHO him in the other thread last week.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Now we know that James agrees with the popular* strategic principle that the first-day FJ in a two-day match should be treated as a DD.

* popular among people who've thought about it