Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:33 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:06 pm To get this back on page one, this is from the Tuesday 10/29 game thread:
alietr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 am Too bad Kari could not name drop anyone/anything for all of her family members with game show appearances other than specifying she is the first on J!
If it ain't Jeopardy, it don't count for nothin'.
That's a lot of board members insulted in one fell swoop. :)

morbeedo on Millionaire
TPH on WoF
My dad on $100,000 Name That Tune

Watch the list grow.
Me on Merv Griffin's Crosswords.
Wasn't some other boardie on Millionaire earlier this year? Dang.... Who was that? Anyway, I bet he feels pretty insulted too.
Well, there were multiple BOARDIES on the last season of Millionaire. acthomas, 1stlvlthinker, and also alietr. And a few more BOARDIES who don't post as often.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hey! It's 8:00 and The Masked Singer is supposed to be on. Why is baseball airing instead? Just kidding, I'm watching Survivor of course.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:00 pm Hey! It's 8:00 and The Masked Singer is supposed to be on. Why is baseball airing instead? Just kidding, I'm watching Survivor of course.
So...still baseball? :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Never thought I'd see a 7-game road sweep in the WS but they're 3 outs away.

Of course, I'd have never picked the NATIONALS to beat the Dodgers and the Astros, but again, nearly there.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

One of the questions on today's episode of Catch 21:

After Alaska, which southeastern state has the most miles of coastline?

The first contestant buzzed in and said California. The second person then buzzed in and said Texas. Fortunately, the third contestant saved the day by getting Florida correct. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:25 pm Never thought I'd see a 7-game road sweep in the WS but they're 3 outs away.

Of course, I'd have never picked the NATIONALS to beat the Dodgers and the Astros, but again, nearly there.
Nobody here is going to complain that I came to work in a t-shirt.

20191031_082101_resized.jpg
20191031_082101_resized.jpg (69.27 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:24 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:25 pm Never thought I'd see a 7-game road sweep in the WS but they're 3 outs away.

Enjoy it! I'm still on a high from the 2015 Series.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Not a huge Nats fan, but as a lifelong National League fan I was certainly pulling for Washington and happy to see an NL team take the series. My biggest complaint is that Jeopardy is on our local Fox affiliate, which meant a lot of preemption.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Well, there go the Nationals' chances of ever moving back to Montreal. If the Expos do return, they should pick up where they left off (and make the Nationals a distinct team that started in 2005). Kind of like how the Ravens, who had originally inherited the Browns' history, gave it up once the Browns returned in 1999.
The NL East is now the second division in which every team has won a World Series. What is the other? Bonus: What is the only NFL division in which each team has won a Super Bowl?
Spoiler
AL Central, NFC East
Hoping for a third lap
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Not a huge Nats fan, but as a lifelong National League fan I was certainly pulling for Washington and happy to see an NL team take the series. My biggest complaint is that Jeopardy is on our local Fox affiliate, which meant a lot of preemption.
our affiliate used to be fox, but then it changed to nbc back in june...probably the best network to have it on since nbc does not do a lot of sports...though stanley cup finals are shown on that network, but still a lot less than what fox shows
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Getting this thread back to page one and I didn't want to bump the Alex pancreatic thread since that jumping up always invites a second's pause of dread.

Pat Sajak: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/whe ... 38453.html
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Browns and Steelers must not like each other. That was ugly. Myles Garrett is going to be a hot topic tomorrow. That was like WWE unscripted.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 pm The Browns and Steelers must not like each other. That was ugly. Myles Garrett is going to be a hot topic tomorrow. That was like WWE unscripted.
I wish the NFL would make a rule that every time a helmet-to-helmet hit takes a player out of the game, the malefactor has to leave the game and cannot return until the victim is able to. That includes the next week, if it so be.

I could fix the concussion issue in 2 minutes. Big 2-3" thick layer of lightweight sponge foam of appropriate density on the outside of the helmet. It would look crazy as hell (like giant Q-tips), but so did 460 cc golf clubs at first. And yellow tennis balls. And metal tennis rackets, then oversized rackets. In two generations, the current stuff would look like leather helmets of olde.

My original take on the Q-tip helmet was to require offenders to wear them. If it impedes their job function, even better. It would also help when idiot players use them as weapons... just saying.

The last game this ugly was Vontaze Burfect and Antonio Brown. I think I've seen dirty play from Garrett before, so hopefully he joins their club.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 pm The Browns and Steelers must not like each other. That was ugly. Myles Garrett is going to be a hot topic tomorrow. That was like WWE unscripted.
I'd ban him through next season.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

should be banned forever and also arrested
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Gotta be the end of Garrett's season. Haynesworth got 5 games a decade or so ago for ripping a guy's helmet off and stomping him, and someone got three games for merely swinging someone's helm at their head; actually hitting someone in the head should be at least 10 games imho, but my gut says they'll suspend him for the rest of the season and call it a day.

Also Pouncey will probably get a couple of games for going into "I'll kill you all" mode after seeing his QB get clocked, but I don't really blame him.

EDIT @12:20 ET: indefinite suspension, out for the year + needs to ask for reinstatement. A good start.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 am
I wish the NFL would make a rule that every time a helmet-to-helmet hit takes a player out of the game, the malefactor has to leave the game and cannot return until the victim is able to. That includes the next week, if it so be.

I could fix the concussion issue in 2 minutes. Big 2-3" thick layer of lightweight sponge foam of appropriate density on the outside of the helmet. It would look crazy as hell (like giant Q-tips), but so did 460 cc golf clubs at first. And yellow tennis balls. And metal tennis rackets, then oversized rackets. In two generations, the current stuff would look like leather helmets of olde.

My original take on the Q-tip helmet was to require offenders to wear them. If it impedes their job function, even better. It would also help when idiot players use them as weapons... just saying.

The last game this ugly was Vontaze Burfect and Antonio Brown. I think I've seen dirty play from Garrett before, so hopefully he joins their club.
Not my area of expertise, but how about returning to the old leather helmets? Then they couldn't be used as weapons and every player would need to learn to tackle so as not to put his own head in danger.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

IF Japan had curbed its imperial ambitions (such as not attacking French and British territories), and IF they had not allied with Germany, and IF they had not attacked Pearl Harbor, would we have gone to war with them? I know they were concerned about our ability to disrupt their oil supplies, but would we have ended up at war with them nonetheless?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:38 pm IF Japan had curbed its imperial ambitions (such as not attacking French and British territories), and IF they had not allied with Germany, and IF they had not attacked Pearl Harbor, would we have gone to war with them? I know they were concerned about our ability to disrupt their oil supplies, but would we have ended up at war with them nonetheless?
That's the easy question. It's a big fat NO.

The interesting question is, would we have fought a war against Germany?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:59 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:38 pm IF Japan had curbed its imperial ambitions (such as not attacking French and British territories), and IF they had not allied with Germany, and IF they had not attacked Pearl Harbor, would we have gone to war with them? I know they were concerned about our ability to disrupt their oil supplies, but would we have ended up at war with them nonetheless?
That's the easy question. It's a big fat NO.

The interesting question is, would we have fought a war against Germany?
Indeed. FDR was for it, but there was substantial public sentiment against. Lots of conspiracy theories have sprung up about FDR engineering Pearl Harbor to swing public sentiment.