Fourth Podium Poll for 11/15/2019 - Friday TOC (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers etc. did you get?

$1000 SNAILS: Tasmania produces around 25% of the world's wild caught supply of this large edible sea snail, mainly the black lip variety
9%
$1000 WHAT'S BEING MEASURED: Barrels, fifths, pecks (James guessed "liquor" and, on BMS, guessed "whiskey")
23%
Like James, I was confused about what was being asked for in the above clue
65%
The BMS did NOT help
64%
And I don't think the $200 clue of "Bunders, hectares, jeribs" would have been much less confusing
27%
$1600 MOVIE FOREIGN CITIES: 1989: "Jesus of ___" (not in the Holy Land) (James negged with Nazareth, which IS in the Holy Land)
15%
$2000 "R"CHITECTURE: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew at the Smithsonian Castle in Washington, D.C.) The castle, the Smithsonian Institutions's main building, was designed by this prolific 19th century architect who would go on to design St. Patrick's Cathedral
2%
$2000 MOVIE FOREIGN CITIES: 1959: "___, My Love" or "Mon Amour", if you prefer (Francois negged with Paris)
20%
DD3 $1600 clue in "R"CHITECTURE (James wagered $8615): As a style, it was early 19tn century British; as a building, it's the Atlanta Hyatt that began the hotel atrium era
31%
I've heard of abalone but could not have told you it was a kind of sea snail
60%
I got at least one of BEFORE, DURING & AFTER without hitting the pause button
59%
I got at least one of BEFORE, DURING & AFTER but only by hitting the pause button
4%
Once I realized James was defeatable going into FJ, I really really really hoped that would happen
38%
Once I realized James was defeatable going into FJ, I was really worried that would happen
5%
Even though I realized James was defeatable going into FJ (and I wanted him to win) I wasn't really worried
25%
I did not get any of these
14%

Total votes: 81

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 11/15/2019 - Friday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Whew! I don't know about you, but I'm ready to return to regular play.
CORRECT RESPONSES
$1000 SNAILS: abalone
$1000 WHAT'S BEING MEASURED: volume
$1600 MOVIE FOREIGN CITIES: 1989: Montreal
$2000 "R"CHITECTURE: James Renwick
$2000 MOVIE FOREIGN CITIES: Hiroshima
DD3 $1600 clue in "R"CHITECTURE (James wagered $8615): Regency (James surprisingly failed to take account of the category and guessed Georgian)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 11/15/2019 - Friday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

No trash for me and no clue on the measurement wanting volume whether the category played in order or not.

3/5 for me without pausing in BD&A getting $400, $1600 & $2000, ready to ring in before Alex finished reading.

During the last break I did the math to see James did not have it locked. Realizing Emma had a chance did not matter to me other than I was happy that the FJ! round would determine the winner. Not rooting for or against any of the finalists, I was not able to check any of those boxes. It was clear to me that James was best on the buzzer/knowledge while Emma kept herself in contention with play on big clues coupled with Francois not able to come close to a third's share of material.

In the past I have negged with whelk though this time left the abalone clue alone.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was confused on measure for $1,000, the BMS didn't help, and I don't think playing $200 first would have elucidated.

Heard of abalone but didn't know they are snails.

I was skunked by Before, During & After and I don't think pause would have helped, especially since the "before" of $400 was nowhere in my database.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

5200$ in trash - missed Renwick ( actually negged with Roebling, so 3200 trash I guess) and Hiroshima.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :| :?: :!: :arrow: :| :| :| :| :!: :idea:
No trash.

Liquor and then confused. (Peck whizzed by, so I didn't factor that in)
I'd like to think I could've gotten area, though, if they opened with it.

Heard of abalone, but that's about all I could say.
Both my BDA gets were 'live' though my answer ending would bleed into the contestant's opening, which would be annoyingly confusing

Didn't do the math so I didn't know possibilities or have strong feelings either way; left all those blank.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Ran Before, During, and After.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

I didn't order a bologna sandwich. I ordered an abalone sandwich!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I only got Montreal; I clammed on abalone, and made the same mistake James did on Regency. It would have been a bitter pill to swallow if I'd had that miss in my ToC, after being put up by J! in the Century City Hyatt Regency.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I know the song "Hiroshima Mon Amour" by Ultravox, but didn't realize it's also a movie.
https://youtu.be/Q3kQr4lAcsA
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I got Regency and I ran the Before, During, and After category.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Got volume and regency. I'm a scientist, so to me they were obviously asking about volume... the BMS baffled me.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Seems as if the BMS would have been better off as an "oh, sorry" and let another contestant have a chance at it. The BMS implied he was on the right track with "liquor" and needed to specify a type.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I made my first 600+ score in online scrabble by going out with "ABALONES" on the trip-trip (it was a quick game, and once my opponent was hopelessly behind he started to pass, or play just one tile per turn, to try to run me out of time). HOWEVER I didn't know or remember it was a snail. I did get volume, Renwick, Hiroshima and Regency.
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I liked the WHAT'S BEING MEASURED category except for the confusion. Count me as one who wouldn't have been any less confused if the category had been taken in order. Is there a better category title that would have made it clear what they're looking for? If not, the category would have benefited from a brief explanation at the beginning.

Jesus of Montreal is one of those random titles that has stuck in my head over the years. I wonder why James decided to take a shot. I wonder even more why he chose a city that didn't fit the clue. He didn't seem rattled or tired, but maybe he was. A gambler knows how to keep those things to himself.

The architect of St. Patrick's Cathedral seems like something that should be standard Jeopardy! knowledge. I didn't get it, but I expected to at least recognize the correct response. I didn't. The clue is currently polling at 4%, so I guess James Renwick is not ready for Jeopardy!

Looks like I'm the only one so far who paused the game to suss out each of the BEFORE, DURING & AFTER clues. I knew they were potentially gettable, but I just couldn't get there fast enough. I ended up puzzling out three of them. I didn't have enough info in my head to get to Dancing In The Dark Phoenix Suns. And in what would have been a heartbreaking miss had I been on the show, I missed the crucial word "spin-off" in the $400 clue and came back with The Walking Dead Man's Hand Sanitizer.

I've hear of Hiroshima, Mon Amour but got lost in the "My Love" part of the clue. Couldn't get to the right place even with Francois helpfully providing additional time to think.

I've seen abalone shells, or at least pictures of them. Like alietr in the game thread, I assumed they were closer to clams or oysters than to snails. I guess sea snails aren't these cute things crawling along the ocean floor with their houses on their backs and two tentacles on their heads with a comical cartoon eye at the end of each one. I'll never trust SpongeBob again.

I'm surprised Regency is polling so low--30% currently. Seems like a Jeopardy! staple. And spotted the initial R, what else could it be? But for that initial letter stipulation, James's response of Georgian would actually have been correct, or at worst generated a BMS. Given that we're talking about the style of a hotel in Atlanta, it's an attractive mistake. But again, it's not like James to miss the parameters like that.

I don't bear James any ill will, but once I realized an Emma upset was possible, I really wanted to see it happen.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:33 am I know the song "Hiroshima Mon Amour" by Ultravox, but didn't realize it's also a movie.
https://youtu.be/Q3kQr4lAcsA
While it is highly regarded as cutting edge cinema, it was one weird movie that I wouldn't recommend watching.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:14 am I liked the WHAT'S BEING MEASURED category except for the confusion. Count me as one who wouldn't have been any less confused if the category had been taken in order. Is there a better category title that would have made it clear what they're looking for? If not, the category would have benefited from a brief explanation at the beginning.
"UNITS OF MEASURE"?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:43 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:14 am I liked the WHAT'S BEING MEASURED category except for the confusion. Count me as one who wouldn't have been any less confused if the category had been taken in order. Is there a better category title that would have made it clear what they're looking for? If not, the category would have benefited from a brief explanation at the beginning.
"UNITS OF MEASURE"?
What is, yep, those are three units of measure all right, Alex?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

CoachP wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:37 am Seems as if the BMS would have been better off as an "oh, sorry" and let another contestant have a chance at it. The BMS implied he was on the right track with "liquor" and needed to specify a type.
Agree. If they'd started with the area clue it would have clarified the category. One of the hazards of starting at the bottom.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Pulled Regency, got the 800 & 1200 on BDA, didn't really care if James missed FJ.
The measured clue :? me as well.