Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by talkingaway »

I have two clues on the same topic, same category, same response. At first, pick one of the two clues. I think the second is a little harder, but feedback's welcome.

ROCK TOURS

Clue 1:
Spoiler
This artist's latest tour features golden rectangular confetti near the end, perhaps a nod to the artist's 1973 8x platinum album.
Clue 2:
Spoiler
The set for this artist's latest tour features a gilded "portal" border that features some of the artist's accomplishments and memorabilia, including the Gucci logo, the silhouette and name of an British dancing boy, a pair of sunglasses, and the name of an adapted Verdi opera.
Response:
Spoiler
Who is Elton John?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:45 am I have two clues on the same topic, same category, same response. At first, pick one of the two clues. I think the second is a little harder, but feedback's welcome.

ROCK TOURS

Clue 1:
Spoiler
This artist's latest tour features golden rectangular confetti near the end, perhaps a nod to the artist's 1973 8x platinum album.
Clue 2:
Spoiler
The set for this artist's latest tour features a gilded "portal" border that features some of the artist's accomplishments and memorabilia, including the Gucci logo, the silhouette and name of an British dancing boy, a pair of sunglasses, and the name of an adapted Verdi opera.
Response:
Spoiler
Who is Elton John?

i agree...2nd one is harder...not sure if i would have got it, if i looked at that one first...was an instaget with the first one
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:43 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 am an inhabitant of a particular town or city.
"the citizens of Los Angeles"

I didn't use the term "legal citizen"
Never heard of the town or city called the United States.
Yes, but you are aware that there is such a place as the United States. And you know that in this place they have towns and cities.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

ENTREPRENEURS

These two Palo Alto engineers sold eight of their model 200B audio oscillators to Walt Disney in 1939.
Spoiler
Who are Hewlett and Packard?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:32 am
triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 am an inhabitant of a particular town or city.

Yes, but you are aware that there is such a place as the United States. And you know that in this place they have towns and cities.
The point is that the particular meaning of "citizen" as "an inhabitant of a town or city" is not possible in the context "citizen of the United States".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

gnash wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:16 am

The point is that the particular meaning of "citizen" as "an inhabitant of a town or city" is not possible in the context "citizen of the United States".
In that context, isn't it possible to infer "a city or town in"?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm
gnash wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:16 am

In that context, isn't it possible to infer "a city or town in"?
I think "citizen" has a very specific meaning when used with a country.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

gnash wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 am
triviawayne wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:57 pm Category: Stupid Answers

Over 5,000 citizens of the United States have this unique name
Spoiler
unique
Being a pedant for substance rather than form, my pedantic reaction was "How would you know they are all citizens?"
The dataset comes from "Social Security card applications for births that occurred in the United States after 1879" (source). Being born in the United States, they are citizens subject to a few limited exceptions (e.g. parents were foreign diplomats at time of birth). Now, the dataset has 7,634 instances of babies named Unique (6,874 female, 760 male), all born since 1972. It is quite reasonable to assume that after subtracting the number of these individuals who renounced their citizenship, or never had citizenship because of the diplomat exception, or have died, we are still left with over 5,000 citizens of the United States named Unique.

(That being said, I fully agree with Gnash that the term "citizen of the United States" should be taken as referring to an individual's legal citizenship status. It would be pretty unusual — and, I believe most copyeditors would agree, simply wrong — to use the term "citizens of the United States" to describe a group of people that includes non-citizens who are resident in the U.S. such as Green Card holders.)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Mathew5000 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:20 am
gnash wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 am
triviawayne wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:57 pm Category: Stupid Answers

Over 5,000 citizens of the United States have this unique name
Spoiler
unique
Being a pedant for substance rather than form, my pedantic reaction was "How would you know they are all citizens?"
The dataset comes from "Social Security card applications for births that occurred in the United States after 1879" (source). Being born in the United States, they are citizens subject to a few limited exceptions (e.g. parents were foreign diplomats at time of birth). Now, the dataset has 7,634 instances of babies named Unique (6,874 female, 760 male), all born since 1972. It is quite reasonable to assume that after subtracting the number of these individuals who renounced their citizenship, or never had citizenship because of the diplomat exception, or have died, we are still left with over 5,000 citizens of the United States named Unique.

(That being said, I fully agree with Gnash that the term "citizen of the United States" should be taken as referring to an individual's legal citizenship status. It would be pretty unusual — and, I believe most copyeditors would agree, simply wrong — to use the term "citizens of the United States" to describe a group of people that includes non-citizens who are resident in the U.S. such as Green Card holders.)
Thank you! An actual answer to my question!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:45 am I have two clues on the same topic, same category, same response. At first, pick one of the two clues. I think the second is a little harder, but feedback's welcome.

ROCK TOURS

Clue 1:
Spoiler
Clue 2:
Spoiler
Response:
Spoiler
Who is Elton John?
I couldn't pull the first one for whatever reason despite having listened to that album many times. The second one was an instaget once I saw
Spoiler
sunglasses
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:17 pm

ROCK TOURS

Clue 1:
Spoiler
Clue 2:
Spoiler
Response:
Spoiler
Who is Elton John?
I couldn't pull the first one for whatever reason despite having listened to that album many times. The second one was an instaget once I saw
Spoiler
sunglasses
Spoiler
I kind of think both clues are a lesson in focus: if you concentrate too much on confetti for the first one, or Gucci on the second one, you might be led astray. But if you figure out why I was forced to choose the semi-odd word "golden", and then picture the shape, you have the most important two words of the album. Or, like you said, if you zoom in on the signature sunglasses, it's an instaget.

I tried to find sources for some more of the artifacts for clue 2 other than my own eyes, but failed at the time. I finally found a picture that did have the obvious logo from the Lion King. If I were to rewrite it, I might switch out the Gucci clue for "a member of the species Panthera leo". The other item I saw was "a boy who died at the age of 18 in 1990", but that was just too depressing to include for a real J! clue. I also might be nicer with "Verdi opera" and put up "name of a Nubian princess from a musical" - I thought Aida was a princess, but wasn't sure on my original research.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

BUSINESS

20 percent of ESPN is owned by this corporation that launched with a single newspaper in 1887.
Spoiler
What is Hearst?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Picked Off wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:03 pm BUSINESS

20 percent of ESPN is owned by this corporation that launched with a single newspaper in 1887.
Spoiler
What is Hearst?
My guess was
Spoiler
Scripps, given that ESPN broadcasts the spelling bee.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Could probably use some tweaking, but I hope the general flavor is interesting:

NEOLOGISMS

Though it sounds as if it could be "Grandfather of Waters" in a Native American language, this word is actually a semi-portmanteau coinage.

Possible added TOM:

1:
Spoiler
Coined by explorer/geographer Henry Schoolcraft in the 1830s.
2:
Spoiler
Formed by combining syllables from the Latin for "truth" and "head".

Answer:
Spoiler
ITASCA.

Lake Itasca in Minnesota, as the Mississippi's source, could be considered the "father of the father of waters." Henry Schoolcraft formed the word from verITAS and CAput after an expedition in the early 1830s.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

THE PERIODIC TABLE

The two non-metallic elements named after heavenly bodies.
Spoiler
What are helium and selenium?
Last edited by mas3cf on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 am THE PERIODIC TABLE

The two elements named after heavenly bodies known to the ancients.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Its hard to rule out Mercury.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

boson wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:13 am

Spoiler
Spoiler

Good point. I added TOM to fix that, which allowed me to removed other TOM.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 am
boson wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:13 am

Spoiler
Spoiler

Good point. I added TOM to fix that, which allowed me to removed other TOM.
How does 'known to the ancients' rule out Mercury?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spoiler
Is Earth considered a heavenly body? Or are we thinking of Earth as the fixed point in reference to which "the heavens" are defined? I assume the latter, but this might be debatable. If the former, Tellurium qualifies.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:49 am If the former, Tellurium qualifies.
Pretty sure that was named after Edwurd Tellur.