Fourth Podium Poll for 11/14/2019 - Thursday TOC (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers and other clues did you get?

$1000 A WRITER'S LIFE FOR ME: This tough guy detective writer also wrote a novel for children called "The Day the Sea Rolled Back"
44%
$1000 TRANSPORTATION TERMS: This 7-letter activity is the K in the WKA, an association excited about going 100 mph, 1 inch off the ground
6%
$200 THE NEW NEWS: Reporter Elle Reeve won a Peabody for her reports from Charlottesville for this news organization
6%
$2000 PHYSICS: A 1976 paper has one of the first mentions of this "model" that accounts for 3 of the universe's 4 fundamental forces (Francis guessed grand unification theorem, clearly for lack of a better thought)
23%
Like Francis, I guessed grand unification theorem for the above clue (you can describe your level of confidence in the comments)
9%
$800 LAWYERS, LAW & LEGALITY: This lawyer's star rose while repping Stormy Daniels but fell after he was accused of trying to extort millions from Nike in 2019
44%
DD1 $800 clue in A WRITER'S LIFE FOR ME (James wagered everything, $3000): Echoing the title character of a book by his great uncle, he assumed the surname Melmoth after leaving prison in 1897
46%
Like James, I guessed Dumas for DD1
6%
DD2 $1200 clue in BEASTLY NORTH AMERICAN GEOGRAPHY (James wagered $10600): This river is the largest tributary of the Columbia, which it joins near Pasco, Washington
79%
DD3 $1200 clue in LAWYERS, LAW & LEGALITY (James wagered $9812): At the Scopes Trial, this politician said he'd seen nothing to accept the word of scientists against the inspired word of God
70%
NOT A TS $400 BRITISH HISTORY: In 1981 the bells were ringing for Prince Charles & Diana Spencer, married in this cathedral
33%
Like James, I negged on the previous clue with some version of Westminster
37%
NOT A TS $2000 TEEN-LETTER WORDS: "V" aware it's the job of one who makes flags
23%
NOT A TS $400 TEEN-LETTER WORDS: Using the ocean itself to describe the crossing from Portugal to Haiti
61%
Not only did I get FJ right, I knew the "word for a long complaint or rant" derived from the correct response (Those of you who NHOI may get a chance to register that fact on Mark's weekly poll)
39%
I did not get any of these
3%

Total votes: 70

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 11/14/2019 - Thursday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

All caught up and ready for the grand finale!
CORRECT RESPONSES
$1000 A WRITER'S LIFE FOR ME: Mickey Spillane
$1000 TRANSPORTATION TERMS: karting
$200 THE NEW NEWS: Vice
$2000 PHYSICS: the standard model
$800 LAWYERS, LAW & LEGALITY: Michael Avenatti
DD1 $800 clue in A WRITER'S LIFE FOR ME (James wagered everything, $3000): Oscar Wilde (James guessed Dumas)
DD2 $1200 clue in BEASTLY NORTH AMERICAN GEOGRAPHY (James wagered $10600): The Snake (James got it right)
DD3 $1200 clue in LAWYERS, LAW & LEGALITY (James wagered $9812): William Jennings Bryan (James got it right)
NOT A TS $400 BRITISH HISTORY: St. Paul's (James negged with Westminster Abbey, Emma got the rebound)
NOT A TS $2000 TEEN-LETTER WORDS: vexillographer (James negged with vexillologist, Francois got the rebound)
NOT A TS $400 TEEN-LETTER WORDS: transatlantic (Francois negged with crossatlantic, James got the rebound)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 11/14/2019 - Thursday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Fallen star indeed. The most I could summon on the Avenatti clue was "Michael somebody". As reported yesterday, the feds dropped some conspiracy charges, leaving him just one charge of honest services fraud, which he says he expects to be exonerated on.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tough guy writer and all the DDs correct for me with a Westminster neg. Like Robert, I had Michael ____. The term off the prophet just not something I had in my vocabulary that I recall.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

New News for $200 was definitely a "huh?"

I didn't say Snake for two reasons: 1. James said it too quickly, 2. I forget the category. Especially #2 would have made it a much simpler clue for me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I could picture DHK's head exploding on that flag question. I wouldn't have got FJ without knowing Jeremiad.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:24 pm New News for $200 was definitely a "huh?"

I didn't say Snake for two reasons: 1. James said it too quickly, 2. I forget the category. Especially #2 would have made it a much simpler clue for me.
The only two major tributaries of the Columbia that I can think of are the Snake and the Willamette. Since Portland wasn't in the clue, I would have said Snake even without that category.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:24 pm I didn't say Snake for two reasons: 1. James said it too quickly, 2. I forget the category. Especially #2 would have made it a much simpler clue for me.
I forgot the category as well. The only reason I got this one right is I couldn't remember the name Willamette. So I said Snake in desperation.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:39 pm The only two major tributaries of the Columbia that I can think of are the Snake and the Willamette.
Willamette for me. I don't know the geography in that area well-enough.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Standard Model, all DDs (Wilde would otherwise have been a clam), St Paul's
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got Spillane entirely on a WAG.

Forgot the category long enough for Snake River not to register.

Was correct with transatlantic.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

No one tell TPH about this thread, 1/35 on a top row clue will mean that he'll never attempt to answer one again. "After all, it could be another Vice!"

*Edit* Too late!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Revisiting the Standard Model clue - I wonder if the word "model" in the clue deterred Francois from this answer vs. GUT or TOE, or String Theory, etc.. In parentheses, that means it is part of the response?
On closer inspection, 1976 rules out String Theory, but still seems a little young for the Standard Model. I saw a classroom film with Murray Gell-Man explaining quarks in my undergrad Physics classes in the early '70's. I didn't know the name came about this way.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I wonder if James would have bet so much on the Lawyers DD if the Avenatti clue (above it) had already been unveiled?

Of the TS's, I knew Spillane and Snake. Getting the latter helped ease some of the pain from Evel Knievel's big fizzle.
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:11 amOf the TS's, I knew Spillane and Snake. Getting the latter helped ease some of the pain from Evel Knievel's big fizzle.
That was the Al Capone's vault of our childhood, eh?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 am
Lefty wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:11 amOf the TS's, I knew Spillane and Snake. Getting the latter helped ease some of the pain from Evel Knievel's big fizzle.
Yeah, kinda. I was hoping he failed because I thought the whole stunt was the stupidest thing imaginable.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 am
I actually had that very comparison in mind. I kept it to myself only because I had not yet thought of "vault" having a sense synonymous with "leap" that would have let me tie the two things elegantly together.
I'm smart and I want respect.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Knew Spillane from both the picture and the clue. Didn't "ring in" on the physics model but would have gone with GUT if it had been a DD forced answer. Knew Avenatti, then was amused that he was a figure on SNL the next night. Negged on FJ with "Lamentations;" have been trying to remember ever since if I've ever heard of a jeremiad.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

meet the new news, same as the old news... :roll: