LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by teapot37 »

I didn't know Captain Kangaroo was a network show.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:31 am On the Captain Kangaroo question, I was shocked at Good Morning America being the MCWA, and that therefore over 1 in 10 LLamas thought GMA went off the air in 1984.

I'm more shocked that many think the show was on CBS instead of ABC.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

poll up on LL for the succotash question

https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11282
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was both happy and insulted to see I got a 2 for Captain Kangaroo. We zeroed each other for Gables and my opponent missed it.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was 6/6. I barely beat my opponent who scored 5. I wasn’t sure about the geometry question but I think that I’ve seen that shape a few times. I’m just glad I answered at all. I’m in NYC for a visit and I almost forgot to submit!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Captain Kangaroo was really the first thing that crossed my mind for that question, although I did have misgivings since it aired at 8 am but I remember watching it as a kid. It seems like I would have been on my way to school at that time. I guess I'm remembering it from before I started school? In any event, I certainly couldn't think of anything better.

I missed two: put down hexagon for the dodecahedron and had never heard of the Jewish paper.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:10 am Captain Kangaroo was really the first thing that crossed my mind for that question, although I did have misgivings since it aired at 8 am but I remember watching it as a kid. It seems like I would have been on my way to school at that time. I guess I'm remembering it from before I started school? In any event, I certainly couldn't think of anything better.
Never crossed my mind to consider children's shows, and I couldn't think of a morning show that went back to the 1950s other than "Today", with Dave Garroway at the time. Clearly not right: on NBC and still running.

'Twas a long time ago, but I (obviously incorrectly) remember children's shows being on in the afternoon; I'm probably confusing the network shows, such as Captain Kangaroo, with the syndicated and/or local shows that ran in the afternoon (Soupy Sales, etc.)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I had no idea that something that wasn't a news program would be in that time slot. I was negative six days old when the last new episode of Captain Kangaroo aired.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:36 am How do only 43% get Hot7G when spotted 'mansion' and 'Hawthorne'?
I never heard of it. Guess I'd better bone up on my literature.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:40 am I remember Romper Room being on WOR channel 9. Don't know if it was syndicated or just on the superstation.
"Romper Room" was syndicated, although it was syndicated as a concept rather than as complete programs. Thus, each version was produced locally, with a different host.

I definitely remember that it was a big deal in 1981 when "Captain Kangaroo" -- after having been in the same network time slot for well over two decades -- was cut to a half-hour and moved to 6:30 A.M. so that CBS could expand the "CBS Morning News" to 2 hours, same as the other networks' morning shows. (I think I still watched it on occasion at the time, even though I had technically outgrown it.)

I was also just reading, on the occasion of "Sesame Street's" 50th anniversary, that the Children's Television Workshop was specifically aiming to get "Sesame Street" to air at the same time nationwide (at the time, an unusual concept for educational television) -- they probably would have picked 8:00 but didn't want to compete with "Captain Kangaroo," so they went with 9:00, and had trouble getting on the air in some markets where the local educational TV stations already had in-school educational programming at that time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:36 am How do only 43% get Hot7G when spotted 'mansion' and 'Hawthorne'?
I never heard of it. Guess I'd better bone up on my literature.
Cf. Learned League, One-Day Special, Curses, q. 11
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lucked into a 5(3)-4(3) win yesterday largely because I lucked out on there being a film question that I actually knew, but also because my opponent inexplicably gave me a 2 on Rijksmuseum when they also knew that one.

About the only time that I ever look through an opponent's question history is to get an idea of what they know in the games/sports category. As long as they weren't totally ignorant of football, that question as an easy 0. As expected we both gave each other 0 on that one and got it right.

I kind of failed to RTFQ on Tanganyika, and put Kenya. It should have been obvious from the wording that it was not a current country.

I remember the BP story and thought that the name would ring a bell, but it really didn't. And I can't believe that it has been nearly 10 years since that happened!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

StevenH wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:13 am I lucked into a 5(3)-4(3) win yesterday largely because I lucked out on there being a film question that I actually knew, but also because my opponent inexplicably gave me a 2 on Rijksmuseum when they also knew that one.

About the only time that I ever look through an opponent's question history is to get an idea of what they know in the games/sports category. As long as they weren't totally ignorant of football, that question as an easy 0. As expected we both gave each other 0 on that one and got it right.

I kind of failed to RTFQ on Tanganyika, and put Kenya. It should have been obvious from the wording that it was not a current country.

I remember the BP story and thought that the name would ring a bell, but it really didn't. And I can't believe that it has been nearly 10 years since that happened!
I had deep horizon instead of deepwater horizon
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 am
I had deep horizon instead of deepwater horizon
I wanted to just put Horizon in and hope, but knew there was another word. Finally put New Horizons in. Yeah, that's the space probe to Pluto in the news in 2015. I hate that damn rock. The dog is OK, I'm agnostic about the Roman god. :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:05 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:31 am On the Captain Kangaroo question, I was shocked at Good Morning America being the MCWA, and that therefore over 1 in 10 LLamas thought GMA went off the air in 1984.

I'm more shocked that many think the show was on CBS instead of ABC.
There was a promo for Kangaroo where someone sang “Good morning, Captain”.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:13 am I lucked into a 5(3)-4(3) win yesterday largely because I lucked out on there being a film question that I actually knew, but also because my opponent inexplicably gave me a 2 on Rijksmuseum when they also knew that one.
I didn't know the film question, but my opponent gave me a 3 for the Rijksmuseum question, which helped my 6(4)-5(4) win. Surprised that it was only a 35% get. There's 3 very Dutch names (one even with the 'ij' helpfully in it!) there.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I turned Deepwater Horizon into a three-word plural but got credit. Between that and being pretty sure the Packers have always been where they are, it was a good day in my two worst subjects, and I beat VeredJ.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

It didn't matter in the match results, but I was given credit for "serum albumin" on the blood question. Any thoughts?: is that effectively close enough to the more general answer of just "serum" or did the scoring algorithm see the intended answer in the first word and stop there?

I couldn't tell you what these things actually are. I just took a stab at what I vaguely knew as a blood component that sounded like a reasonable answer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:16 pm It didn't matter in the match results, but I was given credit for "serum albumin" on the blood question. Any thoughts?: is that effectively close enough to the more general answer of just "serum" or did the scoring algorithm see the intended answer in the first word and stop there?

I couldn't tell you what these things actually are. I just took a stab at what I vaguely knew as a blood component that sounded like a reasonable answer.
From reading about it, it looks like you got lucky, but I ain't no doctor, so... :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So...what's the record for longest stretch without a DE score?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)