It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

The Brad-Ken-James mega-tourney is on:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 201669002/

Have fun with the new Archive programming, Robert.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

Post by econgator »

Wonder why they're rushing it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:47 pm The Brad-Ken-James mega-tourney is on:

Oh great. I can't watch the video presently. What's crazy about the format? Are they, like, playing musical lecterns in addition to Jeopardy! (That would actually be kind of fun now that I think about it.)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:55 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:47 pm The Brad-Ken-James mega-tourney is on:

Oh great. I can't watch the video presently. What's crazy about the format? Are they, like, playing musical lecterns in addition to Jeopardy! (That would actually be kind of fun now that I think about it.)
Two games count as a "match". First to win 3 matches is the winner. Length of tourney is flexible, somehow. I think. It's not really clear. It'll be weird though.
But the GOAT tournament will be anything but typical: It consists of a series of two back-to-back games, airing weeknights (8 EST/PST) beginning Jan. 7. The player with the most combined winnings from the two games wins the “match,” and the play continues on successive nights (except Monday) until one of them has won three matches and takes home a $1 million prize. (The other finishers get $250,000 apiece). That means the tournament can last anywhere from three to seven days.
ETA: Oh, I bet each ep is an hour, featuring two games, aka 1 "match". That'll be a GOAT PITA.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Now that I realize that these aren't part of the regular series, but are more like Super Jeopardy! in that they are kind of their own little season, yeah, that really screws things up.

I wonder how the show gets away with creating a spinoff that its syndication buyers don't get to have. If I were the syndication buyers I would be all like "Whaaaa?"

I like that the format is designed to settle the question in the most equitable way.

I know who I'm rooting for.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:04 pm Seems to me like we can probably get by without any reprogramming, then.
See my edit.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Considering the format, they need to have a tennis category at some point in the games.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:50 pm Wonder why they're rushing it.
Who could possibly host this *but* Alex? That's why.

Also, I wonder if the syndicated show will be in reruns that week? It would be odd to have two tiers going at once.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Has it been since Super Jeopardy! that the show has aired in a network time slot?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:04 pm to settle the question in the most equitable way.

I'm obviously rooting for James because we've already seen Brad win his ToC, the Million Dollar Masters Tournament, the UToC, Battle of the Decades, and the All-Star Games last season (he split the top prize with Larissa and David Madden).
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Picked Off wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Yeah, good point.

And I get that it's variable length, but what the point of starting it on a Tuesday? I can't see that it's filmed already and they know the outcome.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:04 pm Now that I realize that these aren't part of the regular series, but are more like Super Jeopardy! in that they are kind of their own little season, yeah, that really screws things up.

I wonder how the show gets away with creating a spinoff that its syndication buyers don't get to have. If I were the syndication buyers I would be all like "Whaaaa?"

I like that the format is designed to settle the question in the most equitable way.

Archive programming suggestion: Set up a season like Super Jeopardy, and split each episode into two games for Archive purposes.

Re: Syndication buyers - my guess is ABC went to Jeopardy! (as opposed to Jeopardy! going to ABC)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:36 pm And I get that it's variable length, but what the point of starting it on a Tuesday? I can't see that it's filmed already and they know the outcome.
"The Bachelor" premieres on Monday, January 6 at 8:00.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:38 pmArchive programming suggestion: Set up a season like Super Jeopardy, and split each episode into two games for Archive purposes.
That much is obvious, but a lot of little pieces of the Archive had to be specially programmed to accommodate Super Jeopardy!, and so now we're going to have a lot of conditionals nested within conditionals all over the code to test whether a game number is regular Trebek series, Super, or GOAT.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:48 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:38 pmArchive programming suggestion: Set up a season like Super Jeopardy, and split each episode into two games for Archive purposes.
That much is obvious, but a lot of little pieces of the Archive had to be specially programmed to accommodate Super Jeopardy!, and so now we're going to have a lot of conditionals nested within conditionals all over the code to test whether a game number is regular Trebek series, Super, or GOAT.
Or the 3000th Episode special. Or Battle of the Bay Area Brains. ;)
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Also, I wonder if the syndicated show will be in reruns that week? It would be odd to have two tiers going at once.
1) I can guarantee 100% Alex will be hosting this event.

2) That's a good question. But considering a lot of ABC O&Os and affiliates carry Jeopardy! I wouldn't be surprised if the producers decided to air reruns on the syndicated version while airing the GOAT tourney. And I'd imagine the reruns would only air on NBC, CBS, and FOX O&O's and affiliates that carry Jeopardy!

For those who watched Jeopardy! in the 80s and 90s, do any of you recall the syndicated version airing new episodes while Super Jeopardy! began airing on ABC?
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:48 pm
Fair gripe. I sympathize.
Pending...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:51 pm Or the 3000th Episode special. Or Battle of the Bay Area Brains. ;)
3,000th episode, we just skip. Bay Area Brains, everybody knows wasn't real Jeopardy! :D
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:51 pm I can guarantee 100% Alex will be hosting this event.
Odds favor you but since it hasn't taped yet and given the circumstances, your 100% might tempt a gambler.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:36 pm
Picked Off wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Yeah, good point.

And I get that it's variable length, but what the point of starting it on a Tuesday? I can't see that it's filmed already and they know the outcome.
Monday is probably ABC's strongest night of programming - it tends to be their "reality night", with Dancing With the Stars and The Bachelor(ette). I don't watch either of those shows, but even I know they air on Monday (and maybe DWTS on Tuesday? I dunno), but starting J! on Tuesday makes good sense. Also, those Monday shows in particular tend to be "appointment viewing" - it's probably easy to be spoiled on DWTS, but The Conners or Bless This Mess? Not so much. Live views make it more attractive to advertisers. I imagine the show will air Tu-Th, with F and Tu-Th the following week if necessary.

The thing I don't get: How do they spoilerproof this? I guess they're going to schedule 7 1-hour episodes of J!, and have "alternate programming" that's probably going to be repeats, like the World Series on FOX? Games 1, 2, and 3 are "must plays", but beyond that, you have to have 4 hours of potential burn-off programming, because games 4 through 7 are all have an (if necessary) designation to start. I mean, if there's a sweep, I guess you'd have enough advance notice to advertise new programming for the slot of games 6 and 7.

This tournament was just begging to happen. I just want them to put them in the podiums in order of Ken-James-Brad to open, so they can joke about James taking the place of Watson.