It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

Post by squarekara »

Oh, no! Does this mean that these guys'll be contractually obligated to do Dancing with the Stars?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Picked Off wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm Also, I wonder if the syndicated show will be in reruns that week? It would be odd to have two tiers going at once.
Why wouldn't they? I mean, the show even airs a new episode on Christmas...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm How do they spoilerproof this? I guess they're going to schedule 7 1-hour episodes of J!, and have "alternate programming" that's probably going to be repeats, like the World Series on FOX?
That's precisely how you spoilerproof this.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

It's actually happening????? YES!!!!!!!
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

"The thing I don't get: How do they spoilerproof this?"

Maybe they shoot it on a closed set and overlay canned audience sound?
Pending...
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

J! just sent an email to me about it. I imagine we may see the biggest daily double bets in the history of the show. Only first gets the million, second and third get the same amount, so these players will have nothing to lose for going for it. They are showing the schedule like a World Series or NBA Finals, showing airing games if necessary.

I am a little surprised they didn't try to expand the field and make it a Super Jeopardy! type tournament.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:35 pm I'm obviously rooting for James because we've already seen Brad win his ToC, the Million Dollar Masters Tournament, the UToC, Battle of the Decades, and the All-Star Games last season (he split the top prize with Larissa and David Madden).
I take it you're not a KJ fan?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 pm "The thing I don't get: How do they spoilerproof this?"

It's been done before.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:51 pm For those who watched Jeopardy! in the 80s and 90s, do any of you recall the syndicated version airing new episodes while Super Jeopardy! began airing on ABC?
Super Jeopardy! aired on Saturday night (paired with an ill-fated game show version of Monopoly). I think even then my local station aired year-old reruns on Saturday, but there was no redundancy of new episodes on the same day. The archive for that year is unsurprisingly incomplete, but it seems to indicate a standard season of the usual length. The final rounds of Super Jeopardy! would have coincided with the usual six weeks of reruns, but the earlier rounds would have capped a week of new episodes.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

goongas wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm I am a little surprised they didn't try to expand the field and make it a Super Jeopardy! type tournament.
They just had one of those last season, and they only do them once every several years. (Prior to the All Stars competition, the previous super-tourney was the Battle of the Decades in 2014). Assuredly, all 3 of these players will be in more tournaments in the future - although Ken and Brad are both in their 40s with Ken being 45, so you have to wonder how many more peak years they have left. Ken himself said earlier this year that his physical and mental reflexes aren't what they were during his original run in 2004, although he still looked pretty sharp during the All-Stars tournament. It's unfortunate that we'll never know how Ken and Brad of 10 or so years ago would have matched up against James. Ken and Brad will both be better than the vast majority of humans for a long time to come, of course, and either of them still has a good chance of winning this tournament.

Also, this special event is just to determine the GOAT, and these are the 3 players (at least since the lifting of the 5-day limit) who have the greatest claims to that title. And remember that this is an event made for prime-time TV, and these players are the biggest draws for ratings.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goongas

Post by goongas »

I am also happy that they did not away spots from future contestants appearing on the regular show.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

"Only" a million bucks for the top prize? Seems chintzy.

Seriously though, 2 million would have bumped Ken or James to the top of the money list, or cemented Brad as the All Time. C'mon Consumer Cellular, pony up.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Jeopardy! sure is the gift that keeps on giving for these guys.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Decisions have been made and locked in. First to three makes sense and I'll say now that no way it goes to seven nights. My bet is four with whoever is the best showing it by only losing one match. It would be nice if each gentleman could win at least one match both for not taking a goose egg and for extending the run.

What I would have done is guarantee seven nights or shortened it to five nights. Some flat rate for winning each night and a lower rate for not winning. For someone, if able to dominate, then a big bonus for sweeping. If someone wins the first three it's over too soon. I would like to see how long that person could keep it going.

In these type of things I do not expect a 20R to 20R to 20R horse race with everyone tight. Someone is going to be down in the 10-12 range for correct responses unable to get the buzzer magic going.

Whether the most recent ToC, All-Star Games, key UToc Games or Super J! there are games that look good on paper while it ends up that somebody is unfortunately outclassed a bit.

For a different show I remember $otC and their international event. They brought in a champ from Australia and one from Canada. To determine the U.S. qualifier it was a nine-person mini tourney. The finals was first to three wins and Cary Young from Australia won (if I'm recalling correctly) 3-1-1 falling shy of the possible seven games. The end result seemed inevitable much earlier than that fifth game.

We can all hope it goes over well to bring on more J! in prime time. Pick a spot for a limited event and have it open to a slightly wider field. For this GOAT event it makes perfect sense to just do the three J! millionaires.
davey

Post by davey »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:01 pm
Picked Off wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm Also, I wonder if the syndicated show will be in reruns that week? It would be odd to have two tiers going at once.
Why wouldn't they? I mean, the show even airs a new episode on Christmas...
I would think they're contractually obligated to air new shows throughout the season. And they'd be giving up revenue if they didn't.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

The big question - who is putting up the $1.5M purse? ABC? I don't think it will be Consumer Cellular.

ABC will be able to sell the ad spots for this event at a premium, but enough of a premium to pay off for them? This may be like the World Series, where they make audience guarantees to the advertisers and then ABC needs the tournament (which I think is a mis-nomer) to go beyond 4 or 5 games in order to meet those guarantees.

By the way, I was in the audience for the game that airs tonight (which taped Sept 18). Alex made no mention of this GOAT event at the time. Makes me think that the plan has come together only in the last few weeks.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 pm "The thing I don't get: How do they spoilerproof this?"

Other than Alex's health I can't think of any reason they couldn't just do it live. I get that there can be play stoppages, etc. but they handle those things for live sporting events, why not Jeopardy!?
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:31 pm By the way, I was in the audience for the game that airs tonight (which taped Sept 18). Alex made no mention of this GOAT event at the time. Makes me think that the plan has come together only in the last few weeks.
They would have wanted to keep totally quiet about this event until the ToC aired. Because it would be odd to have James participate in a GOAT tourney if he hadn't won his ToC.

By the way, wasn't the idea of having a first-to-three-wins format tournament posted months ago on this board? By MarkBarrett if I recall correctly, though Google did not find the specific post for me.

Edited to add: Found it: viewtopic.php?p=309511#p309511
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:58 am James was an amazing contestant with astounding success on the big clues and he can get ready for an expected invitation to a regular TOC. If he were to win that easily then I would have no objection to a special 3-man cage match with Ken and Brad.

Forget the crazy numbers that some kind of combined 2 or 3-day affair might do to totals and instead have the three of them play single game matches and first to 3 wins. It could go seven games or it could be just three games. 3-1-1 would be a perfect week and one person would be a decisive winner.
(emphasis added)
Last edited by Mathew5000 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:31 pm The big question - who is putting up the $1.5M purse? ABC? I don't think it will be Consumer Cellular.

ABC will be able to sell the ad spots for this event at a premium, but enough of a premium to pay off for them? This may be like the World Series, where they make audience guarantees to the advertisers and then ABC needs the tournament (which I think is a mis-nomer) to go beyond 4 or 5 games in order to meet those guarantees.

By the way, I was in the audience for the game that airs tonight (which taped Sept 18). Alex made no mention of this GOAT event at the time. Makes me think that the plan has come together only in the last few weeks.
ABC/Sony will have no problem paying out the purse. The staff is already in place, the set is already built, etc. This will be a cheap show to produce compared with scripted shows.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:31 pm By the way, I was in the audience for the game that airs tonight (which taped Sept 18). Alex made no mention of this GOAT event at the time. Makes me think that the plan has come together only in the last few weeks.
This is the type of thing for one would expect TPTB to dub an Alex announcement into a previously recorded episode. If they had announced it before now, even during a taping, word would have leaked out and it would have overshadowed the TOC - and might have hinted to people before the TOC aired that James had won it (although it's quite possible this GOAT tournament would still be happening even if someone had defeated James in the semifinal or final round of the TOC - but such an outcome would have tarnished his legacy).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide