It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:03 am Maybe it's going to be like Willy Wonka ... the winner takes over host duties.
“We lied about the million dollars. Your real prize is a trip in this glass elevator emerging from the floor.”
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

This may be an oversimplification, but it seems to me these games will boil down to uncovering DDs, wagering big and getting them right. We pretty much know what James will do if he gets there first. But, if the material is tournament-level, that strategy may not work across the board. On knowledge, there isn't any daylight, but the younger James should have a reflex edge, especially since he's played more recently. Can't wait.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:30 am
goongas wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 am I thought you were referring to contestant eligibility in normal games. The eligibility says you cannot be a contestant if you were on a Trebek show. If there is a new host, I imagine they would keep the Trebek exclusion.
Why? I would think the opposite -- that it once again opens it up to any Trebek-era contestants.
That's a big it could go either way situation. Good and bad points on each side of the discussion. I wouldn't even start/join a debate of why or why not.

I will say Millionaire said no repeaters throughout all the hosts, and that show was basically the same from beginning to end (yes I'm including the shuffle format, even though I probably shouldn't); and when Jack Barry died, I don't think The Jokers Wild would've opened things up to past contestants just because there was a new host.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:12 am This may be an oversimplification, but it seems to me these games will boil down to uncovering DDs, wagering big and getting them right.
And to do that requires buzzer mastery and a wide knowledge base. It will be a good opportunity to see how James' buzzer skills compare to someone like Brad Rutter.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

goongas wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 am I thought you were referring to contestant eligibility in normal games. The eligibility says you cannot be a contestant if you were on a Trebek show. If there is a new host, I imagine they would keep the Trebek exclusion.
Why? I would think the opposite -- that it once again opens it up to any Trebek-era contestants.
I highly doubt TPTB would do anything like that that would masssively reduce the already relatively scarce opportunities (400 or so per season) for would-be contestants who've never had a shot - and would keep a lot of people who haven't been on the show from even getting audition slots.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:41 am
I highly doubt TPTB would do anything like that that would masssively reduce the already relatively scarce opportunities (400 or so per season) for would-be contestants who've never had a shot - and would keep a lot of people who haven't been on the show from even getting audition slots.

Agreed. Someone who was on the show 6 months ago would be eligible again just because there's a new host? Seems unlikely. I interpret the "Trebek" exclusion as just a simple way of saying you aren't eligible for regular J! if you have been on Teen Tournament, College Tournament, Teachers Tournament, etc.... just as a way of making it clear.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:21 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:31 pm The big question - who is putting up the $1.5M purse? ABC? I don't think it will be Consumer Cellular.

ABC will be able to sell the ad spots for this event at a premium, but enough of a premium to pay off for them? This may be like the World Series, where they make audience guarantees to the advertisers and then ABC needs the tournament (which I think is a mis-nomer) to go beyond 4 or 5 games in order to meet those guarantees.

By the way, I was in the audience for the game that airs tonight (which taped Sept 18). Alex made no mention of this GOAT event at the time. Makes me think that the plan has come together only in the last few weeks.
I read somewhere that the TOC was taped on September 17/18th. So does that mean they actually taped 10 episodes on the 18th? That's quite impressive IMO if that's the case.
Oh man, I mis-read my calendar. I called to confirm my J! ticket on Sept 18. I actually attended on Sept 24. The episodes this week taped that day. Good eyes.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 amI interpret the "Trebek" exclusion as just a simple way of saying you aren't eligible for regular J! if you have been on Teen Tournament, College Tournament, Teachers Tournament, etc.... just as a way of making it clear.
Perhaps. But they could just say "on any version of Jeopardy!," which they don't. They may allow for returns, obviously not from the immediate past, but say, after some amount of time has gone by, like ten or twenty years.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:28 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 amI interpret the "Trebek" exclusion as just a simple way of saying you aren't eligible for regular J! if you have been on Teen Tournament, College Tournament, Teachers Tournament, etc.... just as a way of making it clear.
Perhaps. But they could just say "on any version of Jeopardy!," which they don't. They may allow for returns, obviously not from the immediate past, but say, after some amount of time has gone by, like ten or twenty years.
<--- Counting on fingers ... let's see ... 13. Hmmm.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

polaris wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:44 pmBut I can't recall [Brad] ever winning because of a bad wager, and, frankly, if he did, maybe the wager was no so bad, no?
In UToC Round 3, Brad got away with a bad wager — there was no downside to risking it all. Had Michael Rooney simply wagered $2,001 to lock Brad out, Michael would have advanced, despite answering incorrectly. (Of course, that wouldn't have covered a goose egg from Steve Chernicoff, but now we're into mind games territory…)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:15 pm
I'm going to need to see those fingers, sir.
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

harrumph wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm I have to wonder what the level of difficulty of the answer/questions will be.
Along with a Greatest of All time category, I bet there will also be a goat category. The mammal kind.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:15 pm
A-ha! You're one of Hemingway's cats!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Colleagues at work looked into the Vegas betting odds for the GOAT match. As we predicted in conversation before they looked it up, prior to a lot of bets being placed, Ken Jennings was favored above Brad Rutter, but now Brad and James are about evenly favored with Ken being the underdog.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

Aren't Sports Jeopardy! contestants allowed on the regular/Trebek version(s) of the show? And Jep! contestants should be around thirty years old now...
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:23 pm "Only" a million bucks for the top prize? Seems chintzy.
ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:34 pm Colleagues at work looked into the Vegas betting odds for the GOAT match. As we predicted in conversation before they looked it up, prior to a lot of bets being placed, Ken Jennings was favored above Brad Rutter, but now Brad and James are about evenly favored with Ken being the underdog.
has now changed to holzhauer being the sole favourite at +125..rutter at +150 and jennings at +190
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:22 pm
mas3cf wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:59 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:32 pm
irene wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:34 pm Well this will be fun!

Who do I want to win? Ken
Who do I think will win? James
Same here but I'd add a final line:

Who do I know will somehow win despite or even because of poor wagers combined with bizarre luck and a few inexplicable decisions by James and Ken? Brad

I'm not sure I can watch this.
I wouldn't bet money on a professional gambler making a bad wager.
Me neither. Nor did I say that would happen. I attributed the possibility of poor wagers to Brad alone. He has a history. It would be fair to add that Ken's not the greatest at wagering either. In particular, he's too cautious. And he admits it. That could cost him dearly when he no longer has the cushion of being the best player on stage by a significant margin. Will he be able to step up his wagering game for this tourney? Who knows? I'm betting he's trying to psych himself up for that right now but even he doesn't know whether he'll chicken out when the opportunity arises. As for James, he DOES have a history of not making optimal wagers, even if his wagers aren't outright bad. Sooner or later that could bite him in the butt. Someone who knows his particular numeric fetishes might even be able to exploit that knowledge. I don't think Brad or Ken will do that, though. Not their style.
Ken's wagers back in 2004-05 were way too timid, but he wagered big in recent tournaments. Unfortunately for him, he didn't uncover a single DD in the last two matches against Brad. (Brad found 7.) Given that their Coryats were within 10% in both events and that Ken gave more non-DD correct answers (and I think equal # if DDs are counted), I can't see any disadvantage for Ken other than luck, and the GOAT format is designed to minimize the effect of luck.

I don't see any grounds for counting any of them either as a clear favorite or as a clear underdog.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:11 am
harrumph wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm I have to wonder what the level of difficulty of the answer/questions will be.
GEOLOGY $2000: Beginning at Earth's formation 4.6 billion years ago it was the first geological eon.
Answer: What is Hadean?(Precambrian is a supereon.)

RUSSIA $2000: The Matochkin Strait separates Severny Island and Yuzhny Island in this large northern Russian archipelago in the Arctic Ocean.
Answer: What is Novaya Zemlya?

COMPOSERS $2000: This Spanish pianist and composer who drowned in 1916 is best known for his piano suite "Goyescas", a set of six pieces based on paintings by Francisco Goya?
Answer: Who is Enrique Granados?

ART & ARTISTS $2000: This 15th/16th century German Renaissance painter, who had many of his works attributed to Albrecht Durer, is famous for painting the Isenheim Altarpiece.
Answer: Who is Matthias Grunewald?

Ideal Categories:
THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME(Obviously, this is going to be one of the categories in the first match.)
Q WITHOUT U
PRE-COLUMBIAN ARCHITECTURE(Which was used as a joke in an April Fool's episode of Dick Clark's The Challengers.)
INITIALS TO CHEMICAL SYMBOLS TO ELEMENTS :twisted:
COMMON STUMPERS(Clues which have been used multiple times in the past and have often been stumpers.)
THE ULTIMATE SPELLING BEE
LITERATURE $2000

This is the 15th word of the first chapter of "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"
What is 'other'?

RESTAURANTS $2000

This Vietnamese restaurant is located at the corner of Grønnengata and Strandskillet in Tromsø, Norway.
What is Suvi?

WORLD LEADERS $2000

He was the Sultan of Brunei from 1533-1581.
Who is Saiful Rijal?
To pile on to mas3cf sarcasm (please be sarcasm :lol: )

The sound of TV remotes being pushed to change to something else, anything else.
What is that noise?

I hate to be the party pooper, but this thing is already doomed to tank on network TV. Another braniac show with three rich white guys being polite to each other? It's enough to make you take up reading (yawn).

I also think it will be a terrible thing if this is Alex's attempt at a swan song and dropping the mic. For the sake of the franchise, get a replacement and co-host with them until a date TBA! And then I hope AT outlives the odds and is accidentally tricked into a great post-J! retirement.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This really should be a tournament, though, of at least 15 players. Roger Craig oughta be involved, as well as Emma, Buzzy, Alex Jacob, and others. I'd put in David Madden and Larissa Kelly as well, especially since they were a part of the winning team in All-Stars.