Wednesday, November 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Board
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Board
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE & BOOK TITLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This title of a 1962 novel & 1975 film refers to the direction the last of 3 geese took in an old nursery rhyme

Sathvik Namburar: 16300+11499=27799
Elise Nussbaum: 26600+8000=34600 (New Champ)
Dave Blum: 2400-0=2400

Correct response:
Spoiler
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Dave – Upstream)

Daily Doubles
Dave: 400-1000
Sathvik: 8600+7700
Dave: 8400-6000

Coryats
Sathvik: 9800
Elise: 26600
Dave: 9400

Combined: 45,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sathvik: 3800
Elise: 8600
Dave: 2400
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

There went the streak of 61-clue games. The writers had too many categories with overly long names and Disney had a bunch of video elements. There were also scattered clues with images. Elise owned the buzzer and she insisted on full category names plus the "please" too the extreme.

It's a simple strategy way too often overlooked: A category will only have one DD at most. After DD3 there were 7 clues left: 3 in WHAT IS THAT PERSON DOING?, 2 in I GOT RELIGION (where DD2 was found), and ISLAND NATION CAPITAL CITIES $400 & $800. I get that Sathvik thought Person Doing with 1200-2000 remaining was the place to go, though I was internally pleading for the pick of ISLAND $800 where DD3 ended up being.

With four clues left it was Elise who irritated me by going back to Religion where DD3 could not be. She got it right and naturally picked the $2000 clue. Dave got it right as is so typical in such situations for the 3rd place person to wake up at that moment. He found DD3 and then lost the 6000.

I wanted Sathvik to play DD3 to either may Elise pay for not getting it off the board or to at least make the FJ! round even more high scoring potentially.

Elise was taking care of business from the start with a run of THE OCCUPATION OF FRANCE and Dave made it worth a little more as he negged the $800 clue.

Elise played no DDs, which is hard to do considering how many selections she had, and ran up an impressive day one Coryat. Was she on Millionaire or some other show? Elise seemed like it was not her first day at the trivia office.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The FJ! clue was a good one for me since I knew all parts of earlier book/later movie and the rhyme. It's the kind of thing that is nice to know quickly with so much to write. It's possible that just with the category and 1975 I could have taken a correct try at it.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

1962 novel/1975 book... done. The rest of the clue was to check my math.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:09 pm 1962 novel/1975 book... done.
For me it was "direction ... geese took [flew] ... done", although I had to re-read a couple of times to satisfy myself that the clue specified one of three geese (as opposed to all three geese, which wouldn't have fit). Another title that came to mind was North by Northwest but I knew for sure that wasn't a '70s film (it was 1959) and was also fairly sure it wasn't based on a book (original screenplay by Ernest Lehman).
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

A near-runaway game without even hitting any daily doubles. Elise seems really impressive thus far.

I'm hoping she'll win a few more games. I really am dying to see another TOC contender.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

No guess on FJ.

And I was IN a production of 1FOTCN (as Cheswick) back in 1997 at Oklahoma City Community College.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:59 am It's a simple strategy way too often overlooked: A category will only have one DD at most.
With four clues left it was Elise who irritated me by going back to Religion where DD3 could not be.
I wanted Sathvik to play DD3 to either may Elise pay for not getting it off the board or to at least make the FJ! round even more high scoring potentially.
You said it a lot more calmly than I could have. I was screaming "NO!!! IT'S UNDER CAPITALS FOR $800!!!" I know I know, it's easy for us at home. It's also frustrating to watch sometimes. I'm also annoyed that none of the clues we saw in that category required them to actually name a capital, only two required matching a given capital to a nation, and one of those was just "name this country we're pointing to on a map". But it did give us my favorite wrong answer in a good while, 'a bomb' :o

Instaget FJ.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $38,200 (47R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: badminton (DD), hurricane (DD)

Got into a real groove today, sweeping five categories (Disney, Creeping Me Out, Occupation of France, Religion, Stuck). I somehow had a feeling that would be FJ before they even revealed the clue :D

Elise looks like she could be around for a long time to come.
mas3cf wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:09 pm 1962 novel/1975 book... done. The rest of the clue was to check my math.
This too.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That Disney category was incredibly easy. Also ran You're Creeping Me Out

Got the Badminton DD but no Lach Trash. Fared pretty well on both boards overall.

Can't say I've heard of any Elvis Costello song titles before. Or hell, any KISS ones, though I certainly know Gene Simmons and the distinctive makeup.

There's a nursery rhyme about three geese? Not ringing the faintest of bells. I had no idea what to even WAG. But as soon as he said "one flew east, one flew west", I knew exactly what they were going for. I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in college English class, but it was too far back in the brain to surface, and I didn't know it had also been a book.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Was she on Millionaire or some other show? Elise seemed like it was not her first day at the trivia office.
She seemed to have a handle on taking advantage of her crush with the FJ wagering. Most first day contestants would not have tacked the extra $2000 onto the minimum cover.

I really liked her colorful dress.
brick

Post by brick »

Loved Elise’s gameplay! This is the first time I’ve been actively irritated that contestants no longer walk out to the podiums, nor come out from behind them after the game. I really wanted to see the rest of that dress!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:45 pm A near-runaway game without even hitting any daily doubles. Elise seems really impressive thus far.

I'm hoping she'll win a few more games. I really am dying to see another TOC contender.
i am not...she had ample opportunity to get the last daily double and secure a runaway, but she kept going back to a category where the 1st daily double was....that annoyed me and hope she is going to be a one and doner
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:33 pm That Disney category was incredibly easy. Also ran You're Creeping Me Out

Got the Badminton DD but no Lach Trash. Fared pretty well on both boards overall.

Can't say I've heard of any Elvis Costello song titles before. Or hell, any KISS ones, though I certainly know Gene Simmons and the distinctive makeup.

There's a nursery rhyme about three geese? Not ringing the faintest of bells. I had no idea what to even WAG. But as soon as he said "one flew east, one flew west", I knew exactly what they were going for. I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in college English class, but it was too far back in the brain to surface, and I didn't know it had also been a book.
you have never heard of rock and roll all nite?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:33 pm That Disney category was incredibly easy. Also ran You're Creeping Me Out

never heard of that nursery rhyme either
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:25 pm you have never heard of rock and roll all nite?
If I have, then I didn't know who it was by. Literally none of their other song titles ring even the faintest of bells for me.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:38 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:25 pm you have never heard of rock and roll all nite?
If I have, then I didn't know who it was by. Literally none of their other song titles ring even the faintest of bells for me.
yeah i can see their other songs, but rock and roll all nite and kiss go hand in hand...detroit rock city has minor relevance, but the others...yeah, not so much
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

C'mon Dave, a racquet sport starting with B & you couldn't guess Badminton on the DD?

Easy peasy FJ