Tuesday, November 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Steppenwolf »

Although I got FJ right, I too have always pronounced ‘deal’ as a two syllable word... maybe it’s a Midwestern thing. But when Alex gave the answer, it sure sounded like two syllables as well... at least to my ears.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

So for "The internet that has not been indexed by these is the deep web", do you think they'd have accepted my response of "bots"? JBoard always lists at least one of them things under the heading "Who is online" at the bottom of the page. If I got a BMS on "bots," I think I would have frozen, maybe tried "spiders" or "web crawlers" to see if that helped. I was just too zoomed in to think of who or what employs the bots.

Wasn't surprised at the G20 TS for "The two members with the initials S.A." That seemed a bit much. Short clue, so there's little time to think, and they want you to immediately ring in with BOTH? I think this would've been a great DD.

Lots of love for the Megatron clue and its Wrinkle in Time tie-in.

I had FJ before Alex was done reading the clue. I was surprised by the TS and surprised by the number of boardies chiming in to say their brains just weren't cooperating today. So far it looks like everyone who missed it would agree that it's a forehead slapper and that if they'd thought of the right phrase, they'd have locked it in with 100% confidence.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Coryat: $37,200
42 right
DD: :D :D :D
FJ: :D
LT: search engines, Sea of Japan, deepfake, Squanto, United States & United Kingdom, Invalid, South Africa & Saudi Arabia, European Union, cyclotron, New Orleans (DD)

Easiest FJ ever.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

and I just looked it up....’real’ is two syllables, which I thought rhymed with ‘deal’. And ‘reel’ is one syllable, which I pronounce the same as ‘real’. So I guess I just don’t understand syllables
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:23 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:22 pm So am I the only one who doesn't think of "deal" as a one-syllable word?
you think it has more than one syllable?
"Dee-yul". Then again I've always parsed "world" and "field" as two-syllable words too.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

My brain froze on the FJ! too. I went for "itself", thinking there was some reason they awkwardly included the "two monosyllables" part of the quote instead of paraphrasing it as "two one-syllable words". I scanned the whole "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" phrase for two syllables that could be ditched, and "itself" was the only thing that came to light. The problem was that I was stuck on that one quote. If I'd known that the "fear" quote was from the first inauguration, and had done the math to remember that the inaugurations were in 1933, 1937, 1941, and 1945, I could have eliminated it from the 1932 part of the clue.

I had no idea the "New Deal" moniker was part of the campaign, and not part of the post-election reform.

They're definitely clipping responses. For the DPI clue, I could see Julie's mouth moving, saying "What is...", but the audio only caught "inch" clearly. Hey, if it gets 61 clues in a game, I'm all for it.

DD3 seemed obvious to me, but again, playing at home has its advantages. France-in-the-US to me makes me think of New Orleans/Louisiana unless there's something big pointing me away from it. NHO the actual St. Louis Cathedral, but it just seemed like an easy first guess. I can see how it can be easy to lose track of the category - I even do that sometimes myself, and I'm not on stage!

I got "Suddenly Last Summer" not from the Williams play, but from The Motels song. Again, dangerous guess, especially since the two are not related at all, but I went for it.
clprez

Post by clprez »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:12 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:23 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:22 pm So am I the only one who doesn't think of "deal" as a one-syllable word?
you think it has more than one syllable?
"Dee-yul". Then again I've always parsed "world" and "field" as two-syllable words too.
I'm not a language expert, but I'm pretty sure that the two vowels make it a dipthong, not a two-syllable word.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was a well phrased FJ. Otherwise I might have said "New Dealio", which is much more marketable. FDR wasn't as media savvy as people think.

I do enjoy this show much more without juggernaut players. Who wants to watch the Ravens destroy the Rams in the first quarter? Patriots, maybe :). Watch out Mark, they are coming your way!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 pm This was a well phrased FJ. Otherwise I might have said "New Dealio", which is much more marketable. FDR wasn't as media savvy as people think.

I do enjoy this show much more without juggernaut players. Who wants to watch the Ravens destroy the Rams in the first quarter? Patriots, maybe :). Watch out Mark, they are coming your way!
Nothing against the 49ers, but the Vikings are my favorite team. I can wish that Minnesota gets to play the Baltimore Jacksons. In the postseason I would much rather have the Vikings go to Santa Clara than up to Seattle for a second time (dreading what will happen this weekend), so I need S.F. to maintain their slim division lead.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 pm This was a well phrased FJ. Otherwise I might have said "New Dealio", which is much more marketable. FDR wasn't as media savvy as people think.

so you are a fan of say the dolphins playing the washington nfl team type of games? or 2 hbcu schools going at it? maybe the celebration bowl is your favourite bowl of bowl season
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:18 pm I had nothing, and knew I was going to kick myself on the reveal.
Couldn't pull it either. Add me to the parade of monks smacking their foreheads a la Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:58 pm Julie from NYC missing St. John the Divine was surprising (when spotted St. John the Unfinished)
Tried to visit sometime back in the '90s iirc and couldn't get in due to ongoing construction. Went to Riverside Cathedral instead and was blown away, mainly by the detailed woodwork throughout.

Mark, after that narrow playoff escape a couple years back, I'd rather not see the Vikes again... though if we hosted it likely wouldn't be -6 at kickoff.
In and out of the pool four times
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

The most surprising thing to me wasn't that FJ! was a triple stumper (still surprising though), but that none of the contestants even came up with a phrase with two one-syllable words. I'm a bit confused by that.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 39,000
51 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: search engines, deepfake, soft-boiled, Squanto, United States & United Kingdom, cyclotron, New Orleans (DD)

Like several others here, I fully expected FJ! to be a triple get. Shows what I know.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:14 pm France-in-the-US to me makes me think of New Orleans/Louisiana unless there's something big pointing me away from it. NHO the actual St. Louis Cathedral, but it just seemed like an easy first guess.
If you've ever been to the French Quarter, you've probably stumbled past it. It's the big cathedral in Jackson Square. Of course, it helps that I was there just a week or so ago.
talkingaway wrote: I got "Suddenly Last Summer" not from the Williams play, but from The Motels song. Again, dangerous guess, especially since the two are not related at all, but I went for it.
Same.
John Boy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:15 pm Also (though not a TS) the Scantron, which has gone the way of the mimeograph and microfiche.
I graduated from college in 2007, and they were still a thing then. Additionally, the LSAT and, I believe, both the ACT and SAT are still administered on Scantron-style bubble sheets.
Sprinkles are for winners.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Injection, FSU, Deepfake, Brazil, and the Bottom Two in Meeting God.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Search Engines, Sea of Japan, Soft-Boiled, Squanto, United States & United Kingdom, Invalid, South Africa & Saudi Arabia, European Union, Cyclotron, (New Orleans), Cathedral of St. John the Divine
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:27 pm On this clue...
Spoiler
More than 950,000 square miles: this sea that touches Africa & Asia, among others

I said "Arabian Sea" and counted myself wrong. However, it is greater than 950,000 sq mi and touches Asia and Africa. Does the "among others" keep me from being able to check the box?
The Arabian Sea was the J!6 clue. Maybe if you did the J!6 before watching the episode you wouldn't have said that answer. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 pm So for "The internet that has not been indexed by these is the deep web", do you think they'd have accepted my response of "bots"?
I would. I said spiders and I'm counting it. I'd count web crawlers, too.
billiej

Post by billiej »

True North wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:07 pm
I also went for the Life of Brian negbait, clearly it’s been far too long since I’ve seen Holy Grail :lol:
Yeah, I'm more ashamed of this than I was for missing that head slap of an FJ. :oops:
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:14 pm

They're definitely clipping responses. For the DPI clue, I could see Julie's mouth moving, saying "What is...", but the audio only caught "inch" clearly. Hey, if it gets 61 clues in a game, I'm all for it.

This is a sincere question: If they're clipping only the audio, and you can see the mouth moving, how does that save time?

I had no problem with the FJ, had trouble remembering "deep fake," but the one I've never heard of is...Scantron. Source of those bubble sheets? News to me...Never though about where they came from... :roll:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:49 am

This is a sincere question: If they're clipping only the audio, and you can see the mouth moving, how does that save time?

I had no problem with the FJ, had trouble remembering "deep fake," but the one I've never heard of is...Scantron. Source of those bubble sheets? News to me...Never though about where they came from... :roll:
When I was in school, a lot of our tests were Scantron, and the teachers used that term routinely. But unless you are roughly in the second half of Gen X, this was probably a pretty tough question.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 am
davey wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:49 am

When I was in school, a lot of our tests were Scantron, and the teachers used that term routinely. But unless you are roughly in the second half of Gen X, this was probably a pretty tough question.
I’m squarely a millennial and definitely remember our teachers calling them Scantron sheets when we had to do those achievement tests with ever-changing acronyms that took a week every couple years.