Wednesday, November 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

For Final Jeopardy, it took me about 15 seconds to dredge "Plastics" from 1967, then I ran out of time trying to think of the Orson Welles movie I suspected contained the other quote.

Ran We Share That Water.

DD2 was a toughie. I would not expect it to poll very well.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:32 pm
Any reason I should know what kind of shirt Steve Jobs wore?
Trust the image in your head

It wasn't mentioned but the black box is blaze orange and no other part of the plane is allowed to be that color.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:32 pm
Any reason I should know what kind of shirt Steve Jobs wore?
Trust the image in your head
The image in my head has him just wearing a basic shirt that has no significant design.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Ouch.

Coryat 24000 (37R, 5W)
DD 0/3
FJ :(

Not a lot to write home about. Took the Pride and Prejudice and Chrysler Building negbait in Round 1. Thought 1759 = French and Indian War, WRONG. First 0/3 on DDs in a long time, and no idea on FJ. Glad I wasn't on stage for this one.
davey

Post by davey »

This FJ was deeply frustrating for me since Citizen Kane is one of my favorites (despite the way it's been defamed around here recently... :evil: ), and I've been listening to Welles radio broadcasts lately from just before he went to Hollywood. But still, Plastics! came right away and casting around for another one-word quote, Stella! came to me and it seemed so right (despite being wrong in so many ways!) that i went with it... :oops:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Got "Rosebud" fairly quickly, but couldn't come up with "plastics." I have seen The Graduate, though.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:47 pm It wasn't mentioned but the black box is blaze orange and no other part of the plane is allowed to be that color.
Can also be bright yellow.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 pm Incidentally, the quote "Stella! Hey Stella!" is on the list, so it was a good guess...except for the 1951 part. If it hadn't been a decade off, and they hadn't given the years, it would be cheap, because most people just go "Stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" when remembering the quote. (Or, at least, that's how Elaine remembered it.)
Which is kind of funny because the 1967 movie has Dustin Hoffman banging on glass and yelling "Elaaaaaiiiiinnnnee!!!!"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had "plastics" right away from having read the list, and then I had to think about the 1941 film. Once I got off Casablanca (which was too late for the clue anyway) and just started casting my mind around the early forties in general, "Rosebud" came to me quickly—in fact, even before I could even think of a second movie title.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:00 pm what is so great about the quote "plastics"?
The basic premise of the movie is that the recent college graduate (Benjamin Braddock IIRC) played by Hoffman is trying to figure out what he's going to do with himself now that he's out in the real world. At the party his parents throw for him a well-meaning friend of the family takes him aside with the best advice he can give: "I have one word for you: 'Plastics.'" As if to say, this is THE hot industry, so get into it and you'll have a successful life. Apparently without bothering to ask Benjamin what HE hopes to do.

The scene appears to be a metaphor for the then-young boomer generation, the first that didn't have to think ONLY about how to make a living, but had the chance to think about finding deeper purpose (as in the recent meme "find your passion.")

I agree that this quote doesn't have quite the zing of "we don't need no stinking badges" or "I don't think we're in Kansas any more" or "what we have here is failure to communicate" or many others. But AFI chose it.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

John Boy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:06 am
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:00 pm what is so great about the quote "plastics"?
I agree that this quote doesn't have quite the zing of "we don't need no stinking badges" or "I don't think we're in Kansas any more" or "what we have here is failure to communicate" or many others. But AFI chose it.
At the risk of sounding pedantic, none of those three quotes is exactly what was said. Like some odd version of "whisper down the lane," they've all seemed to change through the years.
davey

Post by davey »

Best to see it for oneself!
https://youtu.be/eaCHH5D74Fs
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

"Plastics" was a cultural touchstone of that time.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:57 am
Best to see it for oneself!
https://youtu.be/eaCHH5D74Fs
i looked it up after i asked...still don't get why the quote is so great..i understand it sets the tone for the movie, but the quote itself does nothing for me...can come up with 5 quotes from texas chainsaw massacre part 2 that are far better than that
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:06 am The basic premise of the movie is that the recent college graduate (Benjamin Braddock IIRC) played by Hoffman is trying to figure out what he's going to do with himself now that he's out in the real world. At the party his parents throw for him a well-meaning friend of the family takes him aside with the best advice he can give: "I have one word for you: 'Plastics.'" As if to say, this is THE hot industry, so get into it and you'll have a successful life. Apparently without bothering to ask Benjamin what HE hopes to do.

The scene appears to be a metaphor for the then-young boomer generation, the first that didn't have to think ONLY about how to make a living, but had the chance to think about finding deeper purpose (as in the recent meme "find your passion.")
I think it's a great quote and a great choice. I'm gathering that it's not so well known as it used to be. But it does sum up and evoke a movie in a single word--more so than "Rosebud," I'd say. Your summary of what the word signifies is a good one.

It's interesting to read boomer Roger Ebert's reaction to the film when it came out and then 30 years later:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-graduate-1967
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-graduate-1997

Summary: In 1967, Benjamin Braddock (Hoffman's character) is the star of the show. He's completely relatable, his concerns are justified, and any of us would have acted as he did. The only slight downside is those "instantly forgettable" Simon & Garfunkel songs. In 1997, Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft) is "the most sympathetic and intelligent character". Braddock is "an insufferable creep". "Seen today, The Graduate is a movie about a young man of limited interest, who gets a chance to sleep with the ranking babe in his neighborhood, and throws it away in order to marry her dorky daughter." This review ends with the zinger, "I wonder how long it took him to get into plastics."
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:41 am
John Boy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:06 am The basic premise of the movie is that the recent college graduate (Benjamin Braddock IIRC) played by Hoffman is trying to figure out what he's going to do with himself now that he's out in the real world. At the party his parents throw for him a well-meaning friend of the family takes him aside with the best advice he can give: "I have one word for you: 'Plastics.'" As if to say, this is THE hot industry, so get into it and you'll have a successful life. Apparently without bothering to ask Benjamin what HE hopes to do.

I think it's a great quote and a great choice. I'm gathering that it's not so well known as it used to be. But it does sum up and evoke a movie in a single word--more so than "Rosebud," I'd say. Your summary of what the word signifies is a good one.

It's interesting to read boomer Roger Ebert's reaction to the film when it came out and then 30 years later:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-graduate-1967
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-graduate-1997

Summary: In 1967, Benjamin Braddock (Hoffman's character) is the star of the show. He's completely relatable, his concerns are justified, and any of us would have acted as he did. The only slight downside is those "instantly forgettable" Simon & Garfunkel songs. In 1997, Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft) is "the most sympathetic and intelligent character". Braddock is "an insufferable creep". "Seen today, The Graduate is a movie about a young man of limited interest, who gets a chance to sleep with the ranking babe in his neighborhood, and throws it away in order to marry her dorky daughter." This review ends with the zinger, "I wonder how long it took him to get into plastics."
he wasn't a baby boomer...he was born in 1942...silent generation
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:36 amcan come up with 5 quotes from texas chainsaw massacre part 2 that are far better than that
Ready? Go
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:57 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:36 amcan come up with 5 quotes from texas chainsaw massacre part 2 that are far better than that
Ready? Go
too "dirty" for this place
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

To me the great thing about "Plastics" is the surety and faux-wisdom with which it is uttered. The speaker is acting as if he is bequeathing the secret of the universe, the magic knowledge that will transform and secure forever Benjamin's future. It's not a job offer or even a lead. It doesn't provide any way to get into "plastics". It's just the name of a general field. The mismatch, the gulf between the substance of the message and its styling renders it absurd, hilariously.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still think it's weird that I've seen references, (mis)quotes, parodies, etc. of the "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me" scene all the goddamn time, but I don't think I've ever encountered so much as a single reference to "plastics" in my life.