FJs for the 11/25/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/25/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:49 pm

The New York Stock Exchange allowed jeans on the trading floor for the initial public offering of the stock with this 4-letter symbol
97%
Speechwriter Samuel Rosenman said FDR “attached no importance to” this phrase, “two monosyllables” in a 1932 speech
74%
The 2 single-word quotes on AFI’s list of the Top 100 movie quotes; 1 is from 1941, the other from 1967
38%
From a Sanskrit word for “descent”, it’s the form a god takes on descending to Earth
68%
The title character of this novel says of his home, “The wind breathes cold through the broken battlements and casements”  
20%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
NEW YORK-SET NOVELS $600: It begins, “Amerigo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court…andwaited for justice; vengeance on the men who…hurt his daughter”
58%
DEEP STUFF $600: This 8-letter type of digitally manipulated video hasrealistic face swaps, like Nicolas Cage’s face on Amy Adams’ body
56%
PHARMACY KNOWLEDGE $1600: Term for a pharmacy that makes up individualized batches forpatients who can’t use a big pharma product
29%
I had "Rosebud" but not "Plastics" for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
32%
I had "Plastics" but not "Rosebud" for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
I had "Rosebud" and "Plastic" to miss the Wednesday FJ! clue.
2%
"Stella" was part of my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
14%
Oliver Twist was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
15%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue with a non-Oliver Twist work by Dickens.
23%

Total votes: 111

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 11/25/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

11/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS 2019

11/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The New York Stock Exchange allowed jeans on the trading floor for the initial public offering of the stock with this 4-letter symbol

11/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POLITICAL PHRASES

11/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Speechwriter Samuel Rosenman said FDR “attached no importance to” this phrase, “two monosyllables” in a 1932 speech

11/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE QUOTES

11/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2 single-word quotes on AFI’s list of the Top 100 movie quotes; 1 is from 1941, the other from 1967

11/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

11/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From a Sanskrit word for “descent”, it’s the form a god takes on descending to Earth

11/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC BRITISH NOVELS

11/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title character of this novel says of his home, “The wind breathes cold through the broken battlements and casements”

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
LEVI
New Deal
"Rosebud" & "Plastics"
Dracula
The players were 3/15 (20.00%) with a 2-0-0-1-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have one correct by the players followed by two requested triple stumpers.

NEW YORK-SET NOVELS $600: It begins, “Amerigo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court…andwaited for justice; vengeance on the men who…hurt his daughter”

DEEP STUFF $600: This 8-letter type of digitally manipulated video hasrealistic face swaps, like Nicolas Cage’s face on Amy Adams’ body

PHARMACY KNOWLEDGE $1600: Term for a pharmacy that makes up individualized batches forpatients who can’t use a big pharma product

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
The Godfather
Deepfake
compounding pharmacy
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 11/25/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Deepfake is not unfamiliar to me, though I did not solve the clue.

Blank on the FDR FJ! clue as I had bad detours

Compounding pharmacy rang no bells to me.

"Plastic" cost me a solve as I knew both movies instantly.

Bleak House on Friday

Not polled:
J! aired at normal times on both Thursday and Friday in S.F.
I have seen Citizen Kane.
I have not seen The Graduate though have seen/heard/read the line before.
In a poll about the movie's ending a little over a year ago it was 60% for having seen The Graduate.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

No guesses W/F; regular play Final streak snapped at 14.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Oliver Twist for me. Because the clue said it was quoting the title character, I assumed it would be a first-person narrator, which might have gotten me to dismiss Dracula if I'd ever thought of him. (Also, yes, I am aware that Oliver wasn't the narrator either, but I wasn't when I said it.)

"Plastics" has always stuck out to me when I've read the 100 movie quotes list, so it was an easy pull; I had to think a little harder to get "rosebud," but it was clearly the easier of the two.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good week for me. The opposite of one of those weeks where I had all the information I needed each day but somehow managed to turn in a 2/5 on the poll. This time, everything just fell into place. Even on that last one where I had Ivanhoe mentally written down for quite some time, I kept thinking away and eventually Dracula offered itself with plenty of time to write that down and cross out Ivanhoe.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

No guesses from Tues or Fri.

Been too long since I've seen The Godfather
Heard of a deepfake, but wasn't going to come up with it.
Never heard of a compound pharmacy that I can recall.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?:

4-letters + jeans? LEVI
2 'monosyllable' words + FDR + 1932? Still trying to wrap my head around that being a TS (IIRC their "success pattern" was actually 2-0-0-1-0 -> 3/15)
'plastics' instaget followed by repeating '1941' again and again for 25 seconds until the cobwebs cleared and Citizen Kane -> Rosebud clicked
the earthly form of a god -> avatar instaget
battlements -> castle, novel character that lived in a broken-down castle -> Dracula...wait, Bram Stoker = British? *shrug* don't have a better guess

Seen enough really good deepfakes to be worried about the future
Never read the book but I remember the movie: "Bonasera, Bonasera, what have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully?"
A what pharmacy??

Not polled:
Citizen Kane and The Graduate are in the "I should've watched them ages ago but I'll get to them eventually" pile
J! aired normally here (even on Friday by some miracle despite college football), but I was watching football on Thursday
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Oliver Twist though not confident because of his not being the narrator.

I didn't come up with it, but I have read about compound phamacies in the context of the controversy over the secrecy of where lethal injection drugs come from.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:26 pm ...
2 'monosyllable' words + FDR + 1932? Still trying to wrap my head around that being a TS (IIRC their "success pattern" was actually 2-0-0-1-0 -> 3/15)
Thanks for the catch. I've fixed the first post. With the Archive down I was prone to more errors in having to manually count things off my handwritten sheets instead of the asset of automatic calculation.

For the percentage...3/15 is simplified to 1/5 or 20 out of 100...20% while for the one with the error I used a Google search of "4/15="

For FDR the players gave one detour of "fear", ignoring 1932 could get someone to "date", there's "chat" of fireside fame and I'm sure there were other ways to get lost on it as 71% indicates not hard, though not slam dunk.

If the clue gave New Deal and wanted the prez then of course TS is scandalous. As is it is plainly possible to brainstorm #32 and omit New Deal in a 30-second time frame.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

Nothing on the missed ones as usual. "New Deal" eluded me because I parse "deal" as two syllables.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Had Rosebud, not plastics, but have seen both movies

Battlements/casements ==> medieval castle ==> led me to Ivanhoe , not that I remember anything about the book
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

It's uncanny how average I am among boardies. If I get FJ, it polls above 50%, and if I miss it, it polls below 50%, almost without fail. (Gath being a notable exception that I managed to pull out of my you-know-where)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Ivanhoe on Friday. If I'd thought of Dracula (shouldn't they have used him on Halloween?), "British" would have exorcised him from my mind. I appreciate that the novel is tough to categorize (1897 being so late in the 19th century, and "gothic" or "horror" giving too much away), but I still don't like it. I only hope that they deemed the novel to be British due to its publishing history and not that they consider Ireland one of the "British Isles". My suggested category would be "Canonical FJ Novels".

An earlier FJ helped me with the Godfather clue. No chance on the other extras.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

Blargh...
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I guess getting the pretty hard "Dracula" this week kinda makes up for missing the relatively easy "garden gnomes" last week. :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Fri - David Copperfield
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

Bleak House
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As a huge Welles fan, Wed should have been easiest of the week for me...Not sure why it just didn't come - years are not often triggering for me, yet '67 helped get me to The Graduate...But Citizen Kane doesn't boil down to Rosebud, for me.
Fri i started with Wuthering Heights, wind being in the title...Then I reread the clue and saw we were looking for a title character, and knew it then from the chilling cadence of the quote. I never considered Stoker's Irishness, since he lived in London and as others have noted, the novel is rooted in England...I wouldn't think of The Picture of Dorian Gray as an Irish novel, either.
I just blanked on "deep fake," and I saw that episode of John Oliver's show, but it didn't help me to remember... :roll: