Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC LISTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“Why does not the Pope…build the Basilica of St. Peter with his own money rather than with the money of poor believers?” is one of these

Alex Damisch: 5600+1749=7349 (3x = $33,549)
Joanna LeRoy: 8400-2801=5599
Mohammed Ali: 9800-7001=2799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Luther’s Theses [95 Theses would have been fine as well] (Joanna – What is ?) (Mohammed – Luther’s list of compl)

Daily Doubles
Mohammed: 2000-1000 (at the time of wagering Mohammed had 400 and a correction came later)
Alex: 6800-4000
Alex: 2800+2800

Coryats
Alex: 8000
Joanna: 8400
Mohammed: 10800

Combined: 27,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alex: 4800
Joanna: 4800
Mohammed: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The DJ! round had a category WHAT A DISASTER! and it was appropriate today.

Poor (host) Alex had to give Mohammed +$1600 for an $800 response originally ruled incorrect. He then had to add $800 to Alex's score from the same clue as he said she was correct as well though only got back to where she would have been without Mohammed ruled incorrect in the first place.

That was at chat time. Then before Trebek could reveal the DJ! round categories he had more bookkeeping to handle as he busted Joanna for originally getting away with botching climate Greta's last name. Next he had good news again for champ Alex as her alternate opera response was acceptable.

I was amazed when the FJ! round went without more score changes.

Six clues left in the DJ! round was not surprising at the boards were shot up all over the place and the Nat Geo category the show wanted completed in the J! round was completed last.

At the end Alex had the sole solve of the FJ! clue and won the game. Good for her surviving a difficult contest. I took the easy way with the FJ! clue and did not bother with the man's name. Number and things was my path for quick writing. I sure hope no one has to post they went that way and messed up the number.

Tomorrow has to go better. For both the sake of viewers and the unfortunate host stuck starting the day off with such a difficult game.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Did Alex forget to specify that each correct response would start with OP? That 'light opera' reversal caught me off guard.

Instaget FJ. I actually thought this Martin Luther/95 Theses clue was easier than the last one, but it technically ends up a single get. I wonder if "Luther's list of complaints" would've been accepted. Maybe they both blanked on the number 95.

I have no idea what Alex was trying to accomplish with that wager. I wasn't expecting her to bet 0 though, so I guess it doesn't matter.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:38 pm Did Alex forget to specify that each correct response would start with OP? That 'light opera' reversal caught me off guard.
"O-P in quotation marks; you know what that means."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:42 pm Crazy lach trash this game
Yes, a lot for 4th podium, indeed.

Alex winning with 9R and one of those a DD is no easy path to victory.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Judges: "What is one of Martin Luther's '95 Reasons'?"
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $30,600 (38R, 0W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: raptor (reversed), Rockefeller (DD), Equator, silk, Car Talk, operetta (reversed), metronome, Doc Holliday, Oahu, Missy Elliott, fencing

Huge Lach Trash day again. Anyone else think raptor was a terrible reversal? The clue specifically referenced the origin of the word, bird of prey and predator should’ve both been clearly incorrect.

Big J round followed up by only 12 correct in DJ. I should’ve gotten FJ. Chalk up another item for the study list, I guess.

Alex looking clearly flustered toward the end of DJ, glad she was able to pull it together at the end.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What a mess.

What was the wording on the raptor clue? I thought it mentioned Latin, which would have ruled out the other responses being correct.

I guessed Light Opera was going to see a reversal since he didn't specify that it had to start with Op.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

2019 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVEL PHOTO CONTEST, $800:
"Vultures can soar gracefully for hours and are classified, along with hawks and eagles, as these, from the Latin for "to seize""

Mohammed: What are birds of prey?
Alex: What are predators?

prey
/prā/

Origin
Middle English (also denoting plunder taken in war): the noun from Old French preie, from Latin praeda ‘booty’, the verb from Old French preier, based on Latin praedari ‘seize as plunder’, from praeda .

*shrug*
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:42 pm Crazy lach trash this game
Yeah, that's one way of saying "What a sad, sad performance by three J! contestants!"

How about Raptors + Equator + ("hit the") Silk + Car Talk (OK, my all-time favorite radio program, so for them to miss it is unforgiveable) + Operetta + Metronome + Doc Holliday + Oak + Fencing + Precinct + $10,000 of Lach Trash. And God knows what all else they missed that I didn't get but many of you guys snatched up....

Plus Rockefeller in DD1 (not a TS, I know, but still....)

All that plus an instaget FJ gave me that rare win from the fourth podium (and I'll bet I'm not nearly the only viewer at home who can make the same claim). Alex (D, not T) with her three wins and a mere $33K is really benefiting from sub-par competition.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:00 pm Judges: "What is one of Martin Luther's '95 Reasons'?"
Mmmmmmmm I don theen so, Queek-Straw.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 pm What a mess.

What was the wording on the raptor clue? I thought it mentioned Latin, which would have ruled out the other responses being correct.
Oh yeah. That too. The clue did specify the Latin source, which makes raptor correct and (I'm pretty sure) both predator and bird of prey not correct. That's getting awfully generous with the score changes.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

You know it's a rough game when even I have a shot at getting a lock game on Lach Trash alone...

Ran Special "OP"s.

What was the TOM for "knee" in Clicks for $200? That was my only miss.

NHO Greta Thunberg, nor do I see why I should. That seemed horribly out of place in the top box.

Missy Elliott and Sam Smith were my misses in Pop Quiz. NHO the former, didn't know the latter is British.

Only skunk for me was Literary Works of the 1820s.

Literary lists, one of them talking about the Pope? Well, I work in a Lutheran church, so let's go with 95 Theses.

Lach Trash: raptor, equator, Car Talk, operetta, metronome, Doc Holliday, Oahu, Krist Novoselic, fencing, worst-case
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

If I'm getting $6800 in Lach Trash (Thunberg, Car Talk, Rockefeller (Campanella, communist block), metronome, oaks, fencing, precinct), you know it's a bad day for the contestants. Also had "Krist Novo-something-Slavic" for the guy in Nirvana who's not Grohl or Kobain. A name I've seen but never heard. I should start to listen to podcasts more.

Judges: "doctor" for "medic" as slang for "Band-Aid"? I'm leaning towards "No, sorry", since I imagine a "Band-Aid" wouldn't have to have an MD.

Never knew "Dear John" originated in the military. I was familiar with the term, thanks to the Judd Hirsch sitcom.

Didn't clam on the "geographical line" clue, and went with the vertical one instead of the horizontal one - I went with International Date Line, since I thought that would be a little more significant with traveling "back/ahead" a whole day. For the ultra-trivial out there: a golden shellback crosses both the 180th meridian (basically the IDL) and the equator at the same time, while an emerald shellback has crossed at the prime meridian and the equator at the same time, near a buoy named "null island" (0 degrees N, 0 degrees E).

I guess today's game confirmed that Mohamed Ali would, indeed, beat Joe Lewis. *ducks rotten tomatoes*

No real Alex/Alex chit-chat due to giving Alex back her money, I noticed. Can't remember when that happened last...they were obviously running low on time, given that they had to jettison 6 clues so that Nat Geo could get their plug.

I found Alex's (host) fencing hands entertaining.

As far as FJ!...an instaget for me, followed by 29 seconds of heartburn, wondering if I had to have the NUMBER in my answer, or if just "What are Martin Luther's theses" was sufficient. No way was I ever going to pull out the number 95. (Honestly, he couldn't have come up with 5 more for an even hundred?) Fortunately, I don't have to ask for a judges' ruling here, as Alex (host) gave credit to Alex (contestant) for my exact answer.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:09 pm 2019 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVEL PHOTO CONTEST, $800:
"Vultures can soar gracefully for hours and are classified, along with hawks and eagles, as these, from the Latin for "to seize""

Mohammed: What are birds of prey?
Alex: What are predators?

prey
/prā/

Origin
Middle English (also denoting plunder taken in war): the noun from Old French preie, from Latin praeda ‘booty’, the verb from Old French preier, based on Latin praedari ‘seize as plunder’, from praeda .

*shrug*
Thanks for finding that. I was going "WTF?!?" at that reversal. Etymologies can be treacherous.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Then before Trebek could reveal the DJ! round categories he had more bookkeeping to handle as he busted Joanna for originally getting away with botching climate Greta's last name.
In an ironic twist, I thought I heard Alex Trebek add an "R" to Rockefeller (Rockerfeller).
xxaaaxx wrote: I have no idea what Alex was trying to accomplish with that wager. I wasn't expecting her to bet 0 though, so I guess it doesn't matter.
The only thig I can think of is it must have been a 'James Holzhauer' type wager.
It looked as though she had a stupified expression on her face as the credits rolled. I wonder if she saw Joanna's score and realized she would have lost if she got it wrong.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm You know it's a rough game when even I have a shot at getting a lock game on Lach Trash alone...

Ran Special "OP"s.

What was the TOM for "knee" in Clicks for $200? That was my only miss.

NHO Greta Thunberg, nor do I see why I should. That seemed horribly out of place in the top box.

Missy Elliott and Sam Smith were my misses in Pop Quiz. NHO the former, didn't know the latter is British.

Only skunk for me was Literary Works of the 1820s.

Literary lists, one of them talking about the Pope? Well, I work in a Lutheran church, so let's go with 95 Theses.

Lach Trash: raptor, equator, Car Talk, operetta, metronome, Doc Holliday, Oahu, Krist Novoselic, fencing, worst-case
Meniscal tears commonly happen in the knee - one of the things you hear football (or other sport) players have when they're on the injured reserve list. Also put "cruciate ligament" and "collateral ligament" in your vocab for structures in the knee - ACL (anterior) tears are common. And, of course, cruciate means "cross", so you know the shape of it.

Greta's been in the news a LOT lately. Even more so when this was taped, probably. In reruns 4-5 years from now, it would probably seem way too tough. But for now, yeah, it's top box, or maybe second after "radium = Curie".