Thursday, December 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLIDAY SONGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This song had its beginnings as a book handed out to children at Christmas at Montgomery Ward

Jennifer Quail: 16100+13500=29600 (2x = $74,800)
Chris Blasone: 5800+5701=11501
Kelly Gerhold: 13800-10000=3800

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Rudolph, The Red-Nose Reindeer” (Kelly – The First Noel)

Daily Doubles
Jennifer: 1200+1000
Jennifer: 8400+2000
Jennifer: 12800+2500

Coryats
Jennifer: 14600
Chris: 5800
Kelly: 13800

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jennifer: 4800
Chris: 600
Kelly: 5400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If Alex is going to be doubly wrong and have to make a correction better on names from opening remarks and not the scoreboard. Jennifer had one win and already Alex was bringing up Jeopardy James and Jason Zuffranieri. Later Alex had to apologize for botching the champ's last name calling him Zeffernelli. Alex then said he was thinking of a famous Italian film director. That's Zeffirelli.

The players were quite error-prone today with lots of bad guesses sending scores backwards.

Jennifer once again went 4/4 on the big clue and that is how to win and make money. The challengers had nice bursts of owning the buzzer to make sure today was a lot closer than yesterday.

Nice whistling by Kelly at chat time as that has to be almost as tough as doing the think music with different musical methods on the spot.

The FJ! clue could have been "Montgomery" and it would have been an instaget for me. My pen was off to the races as soon as the clue was revealed and good thing with so much to write.

Various spellings are part of the FJ! round and can happen to anyone. That doesn't mean that viewers can't enjoy them though.

Rudolf appeared twice but my favorite was "raindeer."

Will the real Jennifer please stand up? 29400 Coryat or 14600 Coryat? That's a wide spread and tomorrow should give a better idea where her skills lie.

Retro good luck tomorrow to board member oduguy22 (AKA Randy Hassell Jr).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Not in love with this pure trivia, no-TOM Final. It's basically "pick a non-traditional Christmas song". Not sure what prevents it from being "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" or "Silver Bells" or "Frosty The Snowman" or "Holly Jolly Christmas" or a variety of others.

A first edition reading shows this is a "Night Before Christmas" inspiree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PppjlgMv8tA
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am Not in love with this pure trivia, no-TOM Final. It's basically "pick a non-traditional Christmas song". Not sure what prevents it from being "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" or "Silver Bells" or "Frosty The Snowman" or "Holly Jolly Christmas" or a variety of others.

Only thing I can think of is that "Rudolph," unlike some of those other songs, has a narrative that you could imagine starting out as a story..
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

3 previous clue uses for the FJ! clue material:
Spoiler

#6180, aired 2011-06-24 IN THE BEGINNING $800: In 1939 a Montgomery Ward copywriter wrote this story that was handed out to children in the store for Xmas
#4357, aired 2003-07-08 HONKERS $200: It seems the legend of this ninth reindeer may last longer than the store it was created for--Montgomery Ward
#665, aired 1987-06-26 AMERICAN MUSIC $300: A poem written for a Montgomery Ward promotion became the words of this Yuletide animal song
Not even bottom boxes. It will be easy for those that know it of course while much more wide open for those that have to guess.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am Not in love with this pure trivia, no-TOM Final. It's basically "pick a non-traditional Christmas song". Not sure what prevents it from being "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" or "Silver Bells" or "Frosty The Snowman" or "Holly Jolly Christmas" or a variety of others.

I'm with you. The best I could do was a coin flip, which naturally landed on the wrong side (Frosty).
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Yeah, I threw out Frosty as an answer because why not? I at least knew Silver Bells is from a Bob Hope movie called the Lemondrop Kid. It’s a lot less puzzle-y than I’m used to seeing on FJ and a lot more throw a dart on a Christmas song unless you have really deep knowledge.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

"Montgomery Ward" sent me down the line of "Christmas gifts" and all that I could come up with - after far more than the allotted thirty seconds - was "Jolly Old St. Nicholas". Never in a million years do I come up with Rudolph.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I agree with Robert here. I didknow this piece of trivia and didn't realize the origin was not more widely known, but it's not at all what I expect from a FJ.

I'm hoping for my first 5/5 week since the Teen Tournament.
Leander

Post by Leander »

AlphaDummy wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:32 pm "Montgomery Ward" sent me down the line of "Christmas gifts" and all that I could come up with - after far more than the allotted thirty seconds - was "Jolly Old St. Nicholas". Never in a million years do I come up with Rudolph.
I have never heard of the Rudolph origin story, so I too tried to latch onto a gift/Montgomery Ward connection, and only ended up with The Twelve Days of Christmas, which I knew was wrong.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:14 pm 3 previous clue uses for the FJ! clue material:
Spoiler

#6180, aired 2011-06-24 IN THE BEGINNING $800: In 1939 a Montgomery Ward copywriter wrote this story that was handed out to children in the store for Xmas
#4357, aired 2003-07-08 HONKERS $200: It seems the legend of this ninth reindeer may last longer than the store it was created for--Montgomery Ward
#665, aired 1987-06-26 AMERICAN MUSIC $300: A poem written for a Montgomery Ward promotion became the words of this Yuletide animal song
Not even bottom boxes. It will be easy for those that know it of course while much more wide open for those that have to guess.
This game's FJ does not give all the information pertaining to tonight, but enough to suggest a pretty good guess.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Put me in the "Why the heck would I know that" category for FJ. I don't even know that that qualifies as a "non-traditional" Christmas song. It came out in the same two decade period as the bulk of the biggest Christmas songs, so why would I even think of it differently? I went with "We Wish You a Merry X-Mas", since it sounded like something a greeter at a store would say.

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $41,200 (46 R, 2 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

My best Coryat so far this season, I'm pretty sure. Ran 5 categories in DJ!, a few brain farts in 4-letter words kept me from 30/30.

Every clue in that Jeff Goldblum category had me checking my watch. I wish they would just let Alex read all the clues.
Last edited by mas3cf on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:57 pm
Every clue in that Jeff Goldblum category had me checking my watch. I wish they would just let Alex read all the clues.
Yeah that was... a category alright. I'd have thrown a chair if the Pats category went unplayed. :lol:

I'm torn between rooting for Jennifer and oduguy22 (best of retro-luck!) tomorrow.

Talked myself out of Rudolph, went Frosty. Dumb miss. :evil:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $44,400 (52R, 1W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Kellyanne Conway, Fenway Park, snowplow, Bob Kraft

New 2nd-best Coryat for the second day in a row :mrgreen: Ran every category in DJ except for “B” Sieged.

The Fenway debacle is one of the more embarrassing multi-incorrects I’ve seen (and Alex clearly agreed), but not even the worst this episode (that would be Gouda). Read the clue, people!

Agreed with the complaints about FJ. I went for Santa Claus is Coming to Town, thinking it might be a tie-in to a department store Santa.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I've never been in so much pain watching a Jeopardy game.

It started with a bottom row clue asking for jimmies, when what they showed weren't jimmies. (Jimmies are black, chocolate sprinkles. Multicolored ones are just sprinkles.)

Then, that drawn out Goldblum category.

Then, that painful Pats category. Maybe I can get people who aren't big football fans not knowing that Robert Kraft owns the Patriots, but guessing "Wrigley" and "Comiskey" as the park where the Red Sox play??? At least I had a laugh at the idea of somebody coming out and mowing the field, instead of plowing the snow, before a field goal...

I guess the one positive is that, though I don't keep track of my score, that had to be one of highest games. Easily ran the Goldblum, Patriots, and Constitution categories (and maybe some others). On the other hand, that means if I ever do get on the show, those categories have already come up.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Jeff Goldblum. Worst. Category. Ever.

Frosty here. Bzzzzt, wrong. I agree with Robert -- YEKIOYD.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Usually I watch Jeopardy to relax but this was a stressful game all around. Kelly's insistence on using "please" had me worried we weren't going to get to all the clues, especially since they left the actor category for the end of the first round. I had to fast forward through the Goldblum category because he was so irritating. And to top it all off there was no hope for me on Final Jeopardy. I've never heard of the connection with Montgomery Ward so the best I could do was guess Frosty the Snowman.